Postings by Kahuna's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 380: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Ever wonder if your dog will protect you?
Kahuna

Only my cover is- scary. Read my- book.

Barked: Mon Jun 25, '12 10:44am PST 
Men typically cross to the other side of the street when they see us coming big grin He loves people, but he's proven himself before as to whether he would protect.

Our female bullmastiff,Tomba will not let strange men (on walks) who want to talk to me come any closer than maybe 10ft. She stands in front of me growling with hackles up. They seem to listen.

We also have a pit/plotthound mix, Earlene Rae that sleeps with me. She goes berserk when she hears any noise outside of the room. Anyone coming through the backdoor into my room will have their hands full as Kahuna and Tomba are in there as well. And this gives me just enough time to grab my gun off the nightstand...to protect my babies.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kahuna, Jun 25 10:44 am

Behavior & Training > how to socialize with people?
Kahuna

Barked: Mon Jun 25, '12 9:38am PST 
Our pit/plotthound mix did this at that age. I started taking her to doggy daycare once a week. It forced her to interact not just with dogs but the people who ran the facility. Soon after I started taking her hiking. At first she wouldn't let anyone touch her and would sometimes growl. After a month or so she just stopped. Now at 1yr she loves people and all dogs. Try that maybe.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Trigger, Jul 3 10:16 am

Behavior & Training > Issue with house training

Kahuna

Barked: Thu Jul 14, '11 11:39am PST 
You control everything, including letting him lay outside in the grass enjoying the breeze. This should be used as a reward. He needs to potty first, then he can lay in the grass. And if you're out there for awhile he has to pee again before coming back in. He'll not automatically know to go potty outside just by leaving him out there. He has to be taught. And at this age he'll have accidents as he still doesn't know where he's to go just yet. When you bring him back in watch for sniffing, circling and direct him to go back outside.

Each time you catch him in a squat say,"Outside" (calmly), then go to the door, open it and when he walks through it say the command again. Once outside he may or may not go (because he finished inside). It doesn't matter though as he'll eventually make the connection that Outside is where he goes.

If he does squat have a word for the action. We say, "Potttyyy, potttyyy". Say it right when he squats. Soon he'll associate peeing with the word potty. We've trained all our dogs this way. After awhile your pup will pee on command. I was just outside at the pet store yesterday and told our 5mo old pup to potty in their designated spot and she squatted immediately. A women passing by was in awe and asked how I got her to do that. You can do it too!

Same way, everyday, all day long way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jul 15 5:19 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Dog Breeds w/Specific Qualities

Kahuna

Barked: Tue Jul 12, '11 3:28pm PST 
Hmm I'm only a Pit mix owner (Razors Edge Line) and I take no offence to it. Seems they've been trying to create a new breed since 1990. The breeders I found did call them American Bullies. I love the stocky, more muscular, blocky headed look. I think they're just beautiful and would love to have one one day...
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jul 13 8:16 pm

Kahuna

Barked: Tue Jul 12, '11 2:05pm PST 
Ahh thanx for that headsup Trixie. Learn something new here every day way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jul 13 8:16 pm

Kahuna

Barked: Tue Jul 12, '11 8:00am PST 
Thanx Shane and Angel way to go

Bullmastiffs are awesome hikers in the fall/winter, but no walkies in the warmer months. I let them mosey around our big fenced yard, that's it. Great people protectors, without training, it's all instinct.

Love AB's! Also great people protectors and the smaller ones make great hiking buddies.

While Pit's are unreliable protectors (unless trained in PP) ones from the Razors Edge line Will make the bad guy run away like a little girl. Their looks alone are very intimidating.

Razor's Edge Pittie
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Jul 13 8:16 pm

Puppy Place > Expecting too much

Kahuna

Barked: Tue Jul 12, '11 7:39am PST 
Our new pup (4.5mo's) was a horrible nipper. We rescued her at 4wks from a neighbor who wasn't properly caring for his dogs. She was the only pup in the litter and had zero manners or social skills. She started nipping around 9-10wks I think? It took me, my hubby and our 18yr old nephew about 3-4wks to work it out. I didn't start teaching commands until after the nipping was over. I think it's more important nipping be fixed than teaching a pup "paw".

Everyone has to be on board in the household. NO ONE was allowed to play with the pup with having a toy in hand. Playing with hands only encourages biting. I find males tend to use their hands. If that's happening in your household put an end to it wink

I think ignoring is best at Charlie's current age. Teach him the command "off" so if he jumps up on the couch and starts gnawing on you you can get him away from you. You can invite him back up when he's calm, but if nipping starts it's off again. Soon he'll catch on he can't be near you if he chews on you way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Chevy & Dodge, Jul 14 8:37 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Intimidating looking breeds

Kahuna

Barked: Mon Jul 11, '11 4:32pm PST 
I'm not intimidated by the looks of any breed/mix, but if they were snarling and lunging at me it would be different obviously.

I love the gladiators of the dog world. Especially the squishy, smooshy faced ones. I have to cuddle every one of them I meet on the street. Oh and with lots of silly baby talk way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 32 posts. Last posting by Goodman, Jul 21 3:44 am

Behavior & Training > New Problem with dog family dog aggression HELP!

Kahuna

Barked: Mon Jul 11, '11 4:21pm PST 
Totally agree with Tanuk.You need to watch Rosco closely. What is he *possibly* doing that she feels she needs to correct him for. Also I would try another behaviorist who will observe Rosco's body language and point it out to you. You need to be able to recognize the behavior before the outburst in order to intervene at the right time.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Charlie Pete, Jul 21 1:08 am

Behavior & Training > Eye contact
Kahuna

Barked: Sun Jul 10, '11 3:53pm PST 
Our female Bullmastiff, Tomba will sometimes look away if my face gets to close to hers. But generally she has good eye contact. Same with Kahuna. Our Griff will not look away. I swear she's a zombie.

Our new pup Earlene has intense focus. It's exciting come training time. Plus she's soooo smart!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Turner - Gone Too Soon, Jul 10 8:59 pm

(Page 1 of 380: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.