Postings by Bam-Bam, CGC's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 427: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > Spaying when shes in heat
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Mon Apr 14, '14 4:16am PST 
Unless it's an emergency, most vets will not conduct a spay for up to a month after the heat cycle has finished. Remember, just because she stops bleeding does not mean that she is no longer in heat. In fact, when the bleeding stops is usually when they are willing to be bred, so keep her away from in-tact males for a month.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Bam-Bam, CGC, Apr 14 4:16 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Reyna is dying
Reyna

Don\'t Reyna Me- In

Barked: Mon Apr 14, '14 4:13am PST 
So far she has outlived the vet's predictions and does not appear to be slowing down. She was given 3 weeks to live, and on Wednesday the 16th, she will be at 5 weeks. The 18th is her 5th birthday.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Dahlia, Apr 22 4:09 pm

Reyna

Don\'t Reyna Me- In

Barked: Tue Mar 18, '14 5:44pm PST 
Thank you everyone.

Last night, she had a much better night. Only up once, and that was to pee, and otherwise good. I tried to give a full description of everything that happened to get us to this point, but Dogster kept telling me it wasn't g-rated, and I could not for the life of me find what was wrong with it. At any rate, please just pray or send positive vibes for her comfort until it's time to go. It was so hard seeing her in pain, and struggling to breathe.
[notify]
» There has since been 24 posts. Last posting by Dahlia, Apr 22 4:09 pm

Raw Food Diet > Concerned that feeding a ground raw food with bone does not mimic how wolves would consume bone!

Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '14 2:16pm PST 
Dogs also aren't chasing down their prey, killing it, and then consuming it.

The raw diet is not an exact science. We all do what we can with what we have. My problem is that most commercial raw includes too much bone, or grinds weight bearing bone. I utilize a lot of Blue Ridge Beef products. I avoid their beef with bone because my dogs DO NOT digest that bone. I'm convinced that it's weight bearing bones and just not digestible to them.

I don't believe dogs have evolved to do better on ground bone vs. whole bone, no matter the size. But ground bone in a raw diet is still better than the option of many commercial kibbles any day.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Mar 18 1:43 pm

Reyna

Don\'t Reyna Me- In

Barked: Mon Mar 17, '14 8:47am PST 
My sweet, sweet baby girl, Reyna, was diagnosed with lymphoma last week. It is in her chest cavity... She had a tumor on her heart that ruptured, causing hemorrhagic effusion (pleural effusion filled with blood). We had to do an emergency procedure to tap her lungs so she could breathe.

The vets don't expect her to last more than a few weeks. Now it's just comfort measures. She's had a rough few nights recently, but during the day seems semi-okay.

Just pray for myself and Bam-Bam. I'm utterly shattered. I've never been in "this place" before, and it's hard to deal with. I always thought Bam would die first, he was the one who was so sick as a pup. I never expected my baby girl may not even make it to her 5th birthday on 18 April.
[notify]
» There has since been 38 posts. Last posting by Dahlia, Apr 22 4:09 pm

Dog Health > anybody else having a horrendous time with skin issues?
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Thu Jul 18, '13 8:31am PST 
Mauel- Bam-Bam and Reyna ARE on high quality food. They're on raw.

Kiera- Sometimes excess oil can actually push the skin cells up, causing them to flake more. This is often seen in labs who have a naturally oily coat any how.

I just feel bad for my poor girl. She doesn't seem bothered by it, but it looks awful and just the way it's been traveling on her body, it makes me sad frown

I also alternate between coconut oil and fish oil.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jul 20 6:12 am

Dog Health > anybody else having a horrendous time with skin issues?

Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 12:47pm PST 
I'm at my wits end! My two got fleas, likely from the neighbor dog who isn't well cared for. We treated them, the yard, took care of things in the house. No more fleas. Reyna, however, developed a staph infection from all the itching she was doing. So she was put on cephalexin. That took care of the staph but caused a systemtic yeast infection. I put her on some good probiotics and enzymes and bathed regularly with an anti-fungal shampoo mixed with apple cider vinegar and that really seemed to help. Guess what? The staph is back! I tried treating naturally which was successful at clearing up previous infected areas, but the infection just keeps traveling on her body. The new antibiotic seems to be doing very little in helping it, but it's only been a few days. I feed raw by the way, and don't believe this is in any way food related.

I thought I was losing my mind but now TWO friends are complaining of their dogs being horribly itchy and having skin problems. One has a boxer, the other has a poodle/boston terrier mix. Both live on opposite sides of the county from me, but both dogs are experiencing the same symptoms as Reyna, minus the initial flea problem.

I live in SC, but went to PA to visit family just two weeks ago. My brothers dog was suffering from the SAME THING! Not only that, but my good friend is his neighbor, and their dog was having problems too.

What in the world is going on?
[notify]
» There has since been 37 posts. Last posting by , Jul 20 6:12 am

Food & Nutrition > How long to feed Great Dane Puppy Puppy food

Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Tue Jul 16, '13 12:36pm PST 
Large and giant breed puppies should be on a large and/or giant breed food until 18 mos minimum, although there are a few all life stages foods out there that are also appropriate.

Foods formulated specifically for growing large/giant breeds have the appropriate levels of nutrients to support slow growth, over a long period of time. The idea that large breed puppy food will cause fast growth or other problems is a myth started years ago when we didn't realize that there was a correlation between calcium in-take and growth disorders.

Despite our best efforts, sometimes large/giant breed puppies will still grow too fast due to genetics or other factors beyond our control. However, the recommendation now is large breed puppy food, up to 18 mos.

Also, to the OP, let your dog be skinny. It is better for growing giants to be slightly underweight than even an ounce overweight. Those joints need to support a very large body for a very long time, the lighter you keep your pup now, the better it is for him/her down the road. Good luck.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jul 17 1:51 am

Behavior & Training > My dog bit my son - is it time..........

Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 11:22am PST 
Imho, if his bite history is as extensive and unpredictable as you say, it may be irresponsible to try to place him.

I still suggest giving yourself time, if for no other reason than to give yourself time to forgive you and forgive Sampson. I think it'd be good for both of you for him to go knowing he was loved and you don't blame him for the demons he was never able to get past.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Addy, CGC, Jun 5 9:29 pm

Behavior & Training > My dog bit my son - is it time..........
Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 5:46am PST 
Whew. Lots of passion going on in this discussion.

I will say, OP, that I don't think anybody has outright attacked you. They made judgement calls based on the initial story they were given, and again based on the full story. Although, you are in a very emotional state right now. Your dog just bit your son. You don't know what kind of scarring he may have or emotional trauma. You were given bad advice that you took and now your worst fear has been brought to life. You're probably a wreck right now! I certainly know that I would be. It's easy to see where you may feel attacked. But as someone who came to this thread and just sat and read through it, I think if you get past some of the "personal" feeling stuff, you may see that you've been given quite a bit of sound advice and opinions.

Now, I do not have children. Not even sure that I want one, so no, I have no idea what you're going through. But I do think that your behaviorist and/or vet (there was some implication that they may be one and the same...?) gave you shoddy advice that lead you to make decision that you felt was safe, but it wasn't. I can totally see where you would be blaming yourself, your dog, everybody under the son for that. You, as a mother, feel like you're supposed to protect your kid, and because of the guidance of a fool, you didn't. Would I be a mess from that? Absolutely.

What I think you should do is give yourself time to breathe. You said you've been letting Sampson out while your son is napping. How is that working? He's 11, so I cannot imagine he needs a lot of exercise, and it sounds like he's content to be left well-enough alone? Is that a manageable situation for you long-term?

The reason I think you should breathe is because I also think one of the reasons that you are so upset about this is because of all the energy and effort you put into Sampson over the years. It's easy to be angry and hurt that this dog that you loved despite everything that makes him unloveable would hurt your child! That ungrateful turd! But like you said, Sampson came to you damaged, and like with some human people, there is some damage that can never be healed. Shattered glass can cut. It's a fact of life. What I would hate for you to do is to rush into putting him down because now you have TWO sides that can judge you... One side says not to put him down because it wasn't his fault, and with the other side the implication is there that you aren't a good mother if you don't destroy this monster. If the situation is manageable how things are right now, I encourage you to give yourself time to think. I would hate for you to give into "the other side" and put him to sleep because "any good mother would" (and I KNOW that the unspoken implication of that is there), and then hate yourself because you destroyed the unloveable dog that you grew to love, despite his demons.

Good luck. Although I'm not sure I ever want kids, this is something that I think about often because my Reyna does not have the "love kids" gene as Addy puts it. She, in fact, finds them pretty scary and overwhelming and will try to hide from them. If the day comes that my bf and I ever do decide to expand our family, I know there will come a time where things will have to be managed for her emotional sanity and for the safety of the child. Although she's never shown any signs of biting, it's not something I'm willing to risk with a 165# Mastiff. I know it scares her, thats enough for me. I'm truly not sure what I'd do in your situation, except allow time for things to settle, emotions to cool, and THEN make a decision based on what is best for ALL involved.

wishes
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Addy, CGC, Jun 5 9:29 pm

(Page 1 of 427: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.