Postings by Lupi's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 95: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Puppy Place > Puppy update
Lacy

Barked: Tue Apr 29, '14 8:42am PST 
Aw Wiggles, what a cute little brother you now have!

We're on day 10 of no accidents, and Lacy whines at the door when she needs to go out so I think we've conquered housetraining! Yay!

Lacy just keeps getting cuter and cuter; we love her so muchcloud 9
We're dogsitting another Dachshund for a friend, and Lacy adores her. The two of them never stop playing, which is nice because it gives Lupi a break.

This puppy is so endearing, she's making me want another one. Ahhhh!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , May 15 12:45 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Reyna is dying
Lupi

I\\\'ll do- anything for a- treat!

Barked: Tue Apr 15, '14 10:52am PST 
Every extra day is a gift.hughughughughughug|
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Dahlia, Apr 22 4:09 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > I Need Pictures!

Lupi

Barked: Tue Apr 15, '14 10:49am PST 
I will send you some!
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Clyde, May 4 7:10 pm

Behavior & Training > Guarding my bedroom and bed...Help!

Lupi

Barked: Wed Apr 9, '14 3:38pm PST 
I would simply ban him from your bedroom. Is this the only place he goes into territorial mode? You can also practice rewarding Cookie for calm behaviour as people enter the room.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Clyde, Apr 12 7:50 am

Raw Food Diet > Raw and food aggression

Lupi

Barked: Tue Apr 8, '14 11:52am PST 
I agree with Marley. Many animals will guard what is very valuable to them. Sometimes that's kibble, sometimes a bone and some dogs will even guard poop or vomit. Raw food is more likely to be much more valuable to an animal.

My dog was raised on kibble and did not become aggressive when we switched her to raw. She is six years old and allows our 4 month old puppy to share from her meal.

As far as general aggression being attributed to a raw diet, that makes no sense to me. My raw-fed dogs lay on their backs for nail trims and have never growled at me over treats or food.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Lupi, Apr 8 11:52 am

Puppy Place > New Puppy!!
Lupi

Barked: Tue Apr 8, '14 8:53am PST 
He is precious. I find having a puppy makes me want even more puppies! It's a terrible addiction.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Hershey, May 30 6:34 pm

Puppy Place > Puppy update

Lacy

Barked: Tue Apr 8, '14 8:27am PST 
So Lacy's almost 4 months now, and I wanted to give a little update.

She is fitting in very well with our family. Lupi loves her, although the puppy energy can get too much for her at times. But mostly they just play and play. Lacy was very shy when she came to us (and had been from early on, based on videos from the breeder) but she has really blossomed.

She is a smart girl! She knows "sit", "stay", "leave it", "drop it", "go to your kennel/mat", "stay", and "down". As she is my second Doxie puppy I am now convinced that you need to be a stubborn person to bring a Dachshund into your home. Their determination knows no bounds! Her housetraining is still a work in progress but with warmer weather finally here I think it will drastically improve.

Lacy has far more energy than Lupi ever did. She is much more of a typical Doxie, wriggly and squirmy and easily distracted. I love that she's different from Lupi, because it helps me bond with her in her unique ways. She loves playing with toys and being silly. She also already barks more than Lupi! It will be a challenge to train her not to react to every noise she hears.

Some observations on the differences between adopting a puppy too young (Lupi was 4 weeks old when we got her) and letting them stay with their family longer (Lacy was 11 weeks when she came to us):

-Lacy has a much softer bite than Lupi
-Both are naturally shy, but Lacy seems to warm up to new people/situations much more quickly.
-Lacy is far more curious and brave in her environment
-Lacy loves to play. Lupi had no interest in toys when she was a puppy; she plays with toys more now than ever before.
-As hard as it is teaching Lacy to go potty outside, it was WAY harder trying to teach a 4 week old puppy!

Raising a puppy is harder than I remembered. But it's also so much fun. I'm so excited about watching Lacy explore her world this summer!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , May 15 12:45 am

Behavior & Training > My "poor" dogs...lol.

Lupi

Barked: Sun Apr 6, '14 9:27am PST 
I think both structured and unstructured walks have value. For me and my (slightly) reactive dog, it was very important to be structured in the beginning. For a good year her walks were basically a series of obedience exercises and lots of treat rewards for calm behaviour when people/cyclists/etc. passed us.
Now, I am a lot more relaxed and in fact the majority of our walks are off-leash, but that's because I now have a dog who understands how to behave in her environment.
I agree that the walk is for the dog, not me, so I want it to be fun for her. But she had to earn her freedom. It is a huge pet-peeve of mine that people think because they're in an off-leash area their dog can simply do anything it wants, including jumping on people and harassing other dogs.
For her own safety, I expect Lupi to be close enough to respond to my verbal commands or for me to be able to protect her from larger, ill-mannered dogs that think bullying smaller ones is fun.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC, Apr 8 6:22 am

Behavior & Training > What do you make of this behavior?

Lupi

Barked: Thu Mar 20, '14 11:56am PST 
With an anxious or excitable dog, sometimes it's the door opening that becomes the trigger for the barking. You can overcome this by having someone repeatedly open and close the door while you calmly praise and treat your dog. Practice it numerous times a day and the excitement will dissipate, since the door opening no longer necessarily means someone is there. You can also distract your dog with a favorite squeaky toy or bone when you see someone coming or when they get up to leave.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Cobain ADC, SGDC, CGN, Mar 22 5:44 am

Puppy Place > We got a puppy!
Lacy

Barked: Wed Mar 19, '14 10:38am PST 
Ok, Lacy's page is up although it's bare-bones for now. Pics aren't that great since it's hard to take her picture when she's awake!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Flicka ~ CGC, Apr 7 1:00 pm

(Page 1 of 95: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.