Postings by In Loving Memory : Liberty's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

Choosing the Right Dog > Been looking for a Jindo -- Any big red flags will this dog seller?
뱀 Paem- "Goryeo"

Barked: Sun Nov 17, '13 6:55am PST 
OP, if you're still wanting a dog from that breeder, you can contact the rescue and get one that way. Treasured K9s recently pulled 7 of the breeder's dogs from the shelter where the breeder left them. Three were already adopted out, but I think the other four are still with the rescue. They also have quite a few other Jindo & Jindo mixes available for adoption.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1015265202825 0183.1073741827.211232015182&type=1

(so it seems she doesn't keep all the dogs that do not sell.)

Two Dog Farms on the West coast also has quite a few dogs available for adoption:

https://www.facebook.com/TwoDogFarms/photos_albums
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by 뱀 Paem "Goryeo", Nov 17 6:55 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Been looking for a Jindo -- Any big red flags will this dog seller?
뱀 Paem- "Goryeo"

Barked: Mon Jul 22, '13 11:19am PST 
I would *NOT* recommend that breeder. I will leave it at that.

The owner of the Jindos.com website, Mrs. Kim, is a very nice woman who is very invested in doing things right for the breed, she owns Yooshin Kennels and is currently planning a litter for her girl HoSu (who I think is co-owned with the Malamute breeder previously mentioned). She health tests, titles and puts a lot of care and consideration into her dogs, planning her upcoming breeding and placement of her dogs. She is very honest and open about her dogs, the breed, ect. So going through her, you will get a *REGISTERED* (via KKF, UKC, AKC-FSS and ARBA if I'm not mistaken) puppy from health tested & titled parents who have all preliminary puppy vetting, breeder support, ect.

If I were to get a pup born in the USA, it would either be through her... Or a rescue.

And even if you weren't to get a pup from her, she is incredibly friendly and helpful and could give you advice about the breed. Her website is very informative as well.

And remember, a reputable breeder is NOT just for show dogs! A reputable, responsible breeder produces pet puppies too. But they are doing so Responsibly and taking into consideration how their dogs and breedings impact the breed, how their practices impact future generations, the long term health and well-being of the dogs they produce and the dogs they're breeding. Each breeding is carefully planned and is done based on the best pairings possible, not the most convenient pairings (so not just breeding the house pets over and over and over to each other).

This can be a difficult breed. They're hyper, drivey, prone to DA, aloof... Can be quite aggressive to strangers if not properly socialized, difficult to manage if not worked with, ect. Can be finicky eaters, challenging to motivate and so on. They're escape artists, hunters, roamers, ect. They're a primitive breed and do display behaviors that can not be judged or measured against the average domestic dog.

On the plus side, they tend to keep clean, house train easily, pretty quiet, very intelligent, great companion dog.

My boy is 6 1/2 months now... And while he is wonderful, he is hard headed and a challenge to work with. He is in motion 24/7. If I leave a room, when I come back he is still standing in front of the door with a toy in his mouth waiting for play time to continue. He literally is a bounce off the wall kind of puppy. He has already figured out opening latch doors. They are puppies that need CONSTANT stimulation. I have experience with stubborn / difficult / powerful dogs before and this is still an ongoing learning experience for me. Personally, that's a plus to me and I love it enough that I'm considering adding one or two more Jindo in the future... But I know that many of my dog-loving friends would be pulling their hair out by this point, or have been turned off by how aloof he is...

The few Jindo rescues I'm aware of can help match you with a rescue too, if you go that route. The women I've spoken with involved in Jindo rescue are very dedicated and they seem to try and know as much as possible about the rescue dogs as possible. And they offer adopter support as well.

A few Jindo Rescue sites:
Treasured K-9s
Two Dog Farms
Jin-Sohl
Jindo Project
Jindo Dog Rescue

Many of them have facebook pages as well.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by 뱀 Paem "Goryeo", Nov 17 6:55 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Registered Name help

뱀 Paem- "Goryeo"

Barked: Fri Mar 1, '13 11:36pm PST 
"Kennel Name's" Honorable Mention
" " Runner Up
" " Darwin Darling
" " Beauty Queen
" " Miss America
" " Miss Universe
" " The Peoples Choice
" " Nightingales cross (Florence Nightingale medal)
" " Queen's Venturer or Queen's Scout(girl scouts)

Obviously, some of them would be a bit undesirable for a show prospect and are intended to be humorous.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by 뱀 Paem "Goryeo", Mar 1 11:36 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > For Your Consideration

In Loving- Memory :- Liberty

April 2, 2008 - April 15, 2009.

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 4:54am PST 
My cat approves. laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by In Loving Memory : Liberty, Jan 4 4:54 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Alyssum's Wisdom Panel results: .... Really?

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 4:07am PST 
Those DNA panels are not accurate, they're not even intended to be accurate. They're just novelties. I've known registered purebreds that came back with bizarre results. Part of this is because of the close similarities between dog breeds and they don't yet have an accurate enough database to test against. So while those are fun, I wouldn't put much faith in them.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by In Loving Memory : Liberty, Jan 4 4:07 am

Choosing the Right Dog > finding a good Giant Schnauzer breeder?

Barked: Fri Jan 4, '13 4:01am PST 
Not sure about breeders in Canada, but I did quite a bit of research on them when I was considering adding one to my home. Unfortunately, I was not very pleased with the selection of breeders & lines personally... The fancy is fairly over-saturated with stock from what is essentially a glorified show mill.

There is one breeder I've looked into, on recommendation from an acquaintance in another breed, who I would go with if I did decide to get a Giant Schnauzer puppy in the future. And that is Black Diamond Kennels Giant Schnauzers in Colorado, a member of the GSCA. (unfortunately, the previously mentioned mill is also a member of the GSCA).

(NOT to be confused with Black Diamond / Touch of Class miniature schnauzers. Which is an unrelated BYB).
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Feb 2 3:41 am

Food & Nutrition > Thoughts on Evo?

PATRIOT

ALL AMERICAN- LOVE BUG.

Barked: Tue Dec 29, '09 1:31pm PST 
Thats likely very probable large breeds and breeds who even from well-bred lines are at higher risk to a wide variety of orthopedic problems. Such as Great Danes, Mastiffs and German Shepherd Dogs.

But I think its less of a concern in medium and small breeds. Such as the APBT which is a S/M breed of 25 to 65 lbs and AST which should cap off at around 85lbs.

However, like I said I know many small and medium breed pups who've grown up on EVO formulas without any issues with pano or issues related to their development or orthopedic health. I can't say the same for pups from the same litters who grew up on foods like Iams and Purina or who were over-exercised regardless of the food.

The Evo formula I feed, Evo red meat (both large and small bites), is actually 2.11%, not 3.03% which would be the Original formula.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by MACH, C-ATCH Bailey RN, CGCA, Jan 1 2:59 pm

PATRIOT

ALL AMERICAN- LOVE BUG.

Barked: Mon Dec 28, '09 10:04pm PST 
Patriot isn't yet on full rotation with Evo. He has only been with us a week so far.

ATM, he gets 1/8 cup of Orijen + 1 tbsp of Evo small bites mixed in with the less than stellar food he ate at the shelter. Eventually, his first full rotation will be with Evo.

That being said, the main concern most have with feeding pup's high protein diets is rooted to concerns with pano and their physical development (or if they have kidney issues).

However, pano's link to nutrition and high protein/calcium diets is still unproven. And I know many pups who've grown up eating EVO. None of them experienced problems with their growth. Granted, most of these were very active, smaller working breeds. Like APBT, JRT, Schnauzers, beagles, ect.

The likely-hood of a pup experiencing pano is higher with the larger breeds or due to over-exercising. Most veterinary references I've come across actually recommend higher protein diets for Puppies and working dogs.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by MACH, C-ATCH Bailey RN, CGCA, Jan 1 2:59 pm

Behavior & Training > Who Likes The 'It's Me or the Dog' Lady?

PATRIOT

ALL AMERICAN- LOVE BUG.

Barked: Mon Dec 28, '09 1:31pm PST 
I've only seen a dozen or so episodes. Most of them the US version, but a couple of the british ones as well. (Like the US better).

I like her and her methods. She uses NILIF and stresses the importance of the owner's responsibility for the dogs and their behavior and well-being. And the importance of having a routine.

I like many of the other training methods she uses as well. Its a very refreshing alternative to Millan, who I personally thoroughly dislike (both him and his methods) with a passion.
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by Addy, CGC, Jan 11 8:42 pm

PATRIOT

ALL AMERICAN- LOVE BUG.

Barked: Mon Dec 28, '09 12:59pm PST 
Yeah, I rotate Evo with Orijen. Sometimes Innova. Generally on a every 3 month rotation with a one month switch period between them.

So, say Jan- March I'd feed Evo. Then April would be a gradual switch from Evo to Orijen, so May - July would be Orijen. Then August would be Orijen to either Evo or Innova, so September - November would be Evo or Innova. Then December would be another gradual switch period. And repeat the following year.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by MACH, C-ATCH Bailey RN, CGCA, Jan 1 2:59 pm

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.