Close X

Postings by Jasmine's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 417: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Help with clicker training
Emerson

Wee Peep

Barked: Fri Jan 6, '12 5:50am PST 
Sounds like a plan!

Yes, sitting still is important... the more you "help" your dog, the more they will wait for you to do something and the less they will think for themselves and work through the "clicker game".
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Torie, Jan 7 5:36 pm

Behavior & Training > Help with clicker training
Emerson

Wee Peep

Barked: Thu Jan 5, '12 12:29pm PST 
A video of one of your sessions might be better for critiquing. smile

Don't work on "sit"! It's confusing (for both you and the dog) to immediately try to work on a behavior that's already been taught... move on to something else. I like to start with nose or paw targeting. Duct tape an old sock to the end of ruler and you've got a decent nose-target. A plastic lid or a frisbee is a good paw-target. Targeting is a great way to teach them how their actions influence the click sound (and the treats that come after!). That is why it is a good place to start. You don't even need to "charge" the clicker if you just go straight to targets.

You might need to start a lot simpler than you think... sometimes just "body movement toward target" is the appropriate criteria. That includes eye movement! You are shaping your dog to touch the target. If you can't get 5 clicks in a short amount of time, you are asking for too much and need to break it down further. Do not "up the criteria" until you are getting the previous criteria consistently. You always want to have a solid base to fall back on before you move on. As she gets more clicker-savvy, she'll speed up and you'll be able to train new, complex behaviors much faster, even if you end up spending a long time on these basics.

Always use the highest-value reward. For most dogs, that would be the chicken, not the kibble. smile

She'll get there, do not give up! Emerson was the same way at first, but he's much more enthusiastic now. smile
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Torie, Jan 7 5:36 pm

Behavior & Training > A "train-along"?

Sammy

Baby Sam!

Barked: Wed Jan 4, '12 6:55pm PST 
Dennis, that was one of the past events that I was thinking of! I am sad to see that it is not active any more. frown

I would certainly welcome the help, Cobain. big grin But I, too, need a couple of months to figure out if I can add another organizational project to my list. I think it would be a lot of fun... and bragging rights are a good motivator for regular training, hehe. wink
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Dingo, Jan 4 7:24 pm

Behavior & Training > A "train-along"?

Sammy

Baby Sam!

Barked: Wed Jan 4, '12 9:59am PST 
There is probably a better word for it, I just can't come up with anything other than "train-along". wink

Basically, it's where we collectively work on the same behaviors and report back with a written description, pictures, or videos. Each week, a new skill is chosen that everyone works on.

I've seen them around on forums before. Are there any current "train alongs" already set up somewhere on the internet that I could join? I'd much rather just join one than have to organize a brand-new one... Thanks. smile
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Dingo, Jan 4 7:24 pm

Senior Dogs > Please check senior dog ears more often

Jasmine

Such a Happy- Girl

Barked: Wed Aug 17, '11 2:18pm PST 
I wanted to pass along a tip, especially to new owners whose first dog is now aging... a lot of old dogs seem to build up gunk in their ears much easier than young dogs ever do. I can only guess at all the reasons why. Just check those ears often to make sure they aren't in need of cleaning. If you're not comfortable cleaning out your dog's ears yourself, you may want to ask your vet to show you how to do home maintenance cleaning. But, for reeeeeaaallly deep cleaning or some seriously persistant "icky" stuff, I'd say let the vet clean it out and give you an opinion.

And, as always, if the ear is red & inflammed and smells gross and your dog is really bothered by it, it's probably infected and needs to go to the vet!

Especially as your dog starts to slow down and spends less time all over YOU and more time snoozing in their bed, make a point to check ears habitually. smile Your dog will appreciate squeaky-clean ears.
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Amazing Grace, Aug 22 2:16 pm

Other Barks & Woofs > blocking group invites?
Jasmine

Such a Happy- Girl

Barked: Fri Aug 12, '11 5:31am PST 
I think you can only block someone from paw-mailing you.

Well, another round-about solution is to join the group, and then select "I'll read messages on my group page" and then you shouldn't ever get the invites again (or any other messages from the group).
» There has since been 38 posts. Last posting by Scruffy (RIP), Sep 10 4:57 pm

Other Barks & Woofs > blocking group invites?

Jasmine

Such a Happy- Girl

Barked: Thu Aug 11, '11 3:54pm PST 
Hmm, I don't think there is a way to do this, unfortunately. You may have to block ALL Dogster e-mails in your account settings in order to block group invites, which is inconvenient.

It's a great (and needed) feature idea, however, so definitely contact Dogster about it: click here for the contact form.
» There has since been 42 posts. Last posting by Scruffy (RIP), Sep 10 4:57 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > It\'s baaaaaack! The ADOPT 2011 CONTEST and STROLL!!! Enter through May 15!!

Jasmine

Such a Happy- Girl

Barked: Tue Apr 19, '11 4:59am PST 
Eppy, not all the dogs are adoptable in the stroll, most already have happy endings! You should definitely keep an eye on the contest, it will boost you up not drag you down. big grin
» There has since been 69 posts. Last posting by , Jun 1 6:41 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > It\'s baaaaaack! The ADOPT 2011 CONTEST and STROLL!!! Enter through May 15!!

Jasmine

Such a Happy- Girl

Barked: Mon Apr 18, '11 12:30pm PST 
Howard, try going to "Manage Photos" and then you should see a box for picture tags. I thought I saw one of your pictures in the stroll yesterday, so it looks like it will work!
» There has since been 77 posts. Last posting by , Jun 1 6:41 am

Jasmine

Such a Happy- Girl

Barked: Sun Apr 17, '11 5:42pm PST 
Yay! It's back, it's back! Can't wait to see all the entries - it really IS an inspiring collection!!
» There has since been 84 posts. Last posting by , Jun 1 6:41 am

(Page 1 of 417: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.