Postings by Lilly's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  

German Shepherd > Do you think i am part german shepherd?
Kaya

Time to play?

Barked: Wed Jan 20, '10 8:04am PST 
I'm no expert but I would guess that he does have shepherd in him. Reason I think so is the ears and the shape/look of his face. Either way he is one cute dog, I can see how you got so attached to him. Lucky him to have found a good home.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kaya, Jan 20 8:04 am

German Shepherd > Bought new puppies, but are they pure german shepherds??
Kaya

Time to play?

Barked: Wed Jan 20, '10 7:56am PST 
Whatever the case, those puppies are too cute! Love the pic of the one with it's paw in the air. How nice of you to adopt two siblings so they can grow up together. My GSD girl is very likely not purebred but I don't love her an ounce less for it.
Contgrats on the new additions to your family.
[notify]
» There has since been 48 posts. Last posting by Adeline, Jul 18 6:00 am

German Shepherd > have you ever lost your temper with your baby

Kaya

Time to play?

Barked: Thu Jan 14, '10 12:29pm PST 
I don't know about losing my temper exactly, but I have gotten after Kaya and scolded her. She's a pretty sensitive soul so it doesn't take much to affect her therefore I don't need to get too loud with her or anything. Our Lab mix is a different story(very stubborn) but even if we are scolding the other dog Kaya will still hang her head and come check in to get pets/reassurance from us and make sure she's not the one in trouble. If we are playing a game, getting loud at the TV or even an arguement between us she doesn't understand what's going and gets anxious. I always try to just reassure her that she's ok.
I think the worst time I ever got upset with her was for nipping at another dog at the park(not sure which one started it hehe). I turned around a said HEY! and pointed my finger at her and stood over her, she imediately rolled to her back.

She's really a very sweet dog, I feel lucky about that. big grin
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Mystique 'Tiki', Jan 30 7:50 am

German Shepherd > Where does your dog sleep?

Kaya

Time to play?

Barked: Thu Jan 14, '10 12:05pm PST 
Kaya sleeps in her crate at night. She seems to feel safe and cozy in there. I think it gives her permission to be off 'guard duty' for a bit so she can rest. She won't let us put anything soft in there for her though. She'll either tear it up or we'll catch her pulling it out first before going in to lay down. Any other time of day she'll sleep just about anywhere in the house. She has her favorite floor spaces and is also allowed on the furniture if unoccupied by the humans.
We have a no pets in the bedroom policy at our house. There are many more opportunities to cuddle up to your sweetie without a big harry dog(or two) in between you wink
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sargent, Jan 17 12:00 pm

German Shepherd > There\'s a new kitty in the house!

Kaya

Time to play?

Barked: Thu Jan 14, '10 11:37am PST 
Kaya was exposed to cats in her foster home before we got her and we also had an older cat(18) when she came to us. The older cat didn't do much but sleep so she never got much chance to chase him. We have since gotten a new cat. We got him at 4 months old and Kaya has been very good with him. She does play chase with him but knows to be gentle. We taught her the word gentle early on with other things like taking a treat without niping fingers or playing nice with other dogs. She's is a little more mellow overall now at 3 yrs old but when she was more easily excitable we would just have to say gentle or settle in a calm but stern voice and she got it.
Now the animals are all allowed free range of the house while we're away and they all get along great. The cat will even initate play with the dogs as he knows he won't get hurt.

Being unsure of the younger dogs reaction, it seems you are going about things the smart way by keeping them separated for now. Just like introducing a newborn to the family, you have to help establish the kittens place in the "pack" for them until they are able to do it on their own. Like the other response suggested...always be in charge of the situation(which it sounds like you are doing already). Maybe have your dog sit or lay down and bring the kitten to him while you're holding it. Use the commands he already knows to make it clear he is to repect the kitten's space and what actions you are ok with and not ok with. It's also a good thing about your older dog leading by example, as long as he/she doesn't get possesive of the kitten but that doesn't seem the case here.

Sounds like you're on the right path. Good luck way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kaya, Jan 14 11:37 am

German Shepherd > Is my dog a pure German Shepard or have I been ripped off?
Kaya

Time to play?

Barked: Wed May 13, '09 9:13am PST 
No matter what he is, he has an adorable face! I can't figure out what my GSD is mixed with either. Sometimes it just remains a mystery.
[notify]
» There has since been 49 posts. Last posting by , Nov 20 6:09 am

German Shepherd > Greeting manners

Kaya

Time to play?

Barked: Wed Feb 11, '09 8:27am PST 
Matilda, is it expensive to do the Canine good citizen course? We were actually just recently talking about a trial play date with two dogs. I guess they are about the same size as our dogs and are owned by one of my partners co-workers. Sounds like it's time to put that into action. We have a large fenced in yard so they'll have plenty of room to play if things go well. Kaya doesn't really run full out in the yard by herself, she needs someone to play chase with her to do that and our other dog doesn't like to do that with her. We'll just have to keep looking to find a play buddy for her I guess.
Thank you for the advice.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Matilda, CGC, Feb 11 8:50 am

Kaya

Time to play?

Barked: Wed Feb 11, '09 8:19am PST 
Yah it does seem like she gets over excited sometimes where there are a lot of dogs there. And now that I think of it, the times that she has been so good there weren't as many others there so I think that is probably what is setting her off. When they go to the dog sitter she interacts with many other dogs there and he's never said she's been a problem there. He's even said our girls are a couple of their favorites and they even make room for us even when they've told others they're full and gives us discounts because he likes them so much. So maybe it's not so much a problem with socialization, maybe it's just too overwhelming for her. I just wish I knew of somewhere that I could let her run off leash and not worry about overwhelming her.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Matilda, CGC, Feb 11 8:50 am

Kaya

Time to play?

Barked: Mon Feb 9, '09 2:36pm PST 
How do I help teach Kaya better manners when approching other dogs?
I'm feeling disappointed because Kaya has sometimes been the dogpark bully. The last two times we took her we put her leash right back on and left because of her behavior. Some owners are ok with their dogs acting this way and don't remove them from the park but I find it unacceptable. If a dog or dogs are coming from the other direction she will crouch down and then when the get close she'll spring up into their faces and let out a short low growl. I will try to call her off or catch up to her but she will ignore me which is really frustrating because I know she hears me. She picked up the crouching thing from our Lab but for Lilly it's a playful gesture, like hide and seek. She has done that since way before we got Kaya and there were never any problems associated with it. In fact, most everyone used to comment about how cute it was. It seems like Kaya has misinturpreted how it's being used by Lilly and see it more as sort of a, see we're a pack don't mess with us kinda thing.
I have tried keeping Kaya on leash to have more control of her approching other dogs but that just makes it worse. It also seems to be a hit or miss type of thing. Some days she's an angel and plays well with no problems and then the next time we go we can't even get half way around a loop and we're heading back for the gate. I wish I knew what was setting her off. It makes me feel bad when I'm dragging her out of the park because she's been the dogpark bully everyone scoffs at. I don't have a problem taking her for walks but I really love for her to have open range to run full speed and I don't have anywhere else to let her off leash like that.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Matilda, CGC, Feb 11 8:50 am

Behavior & Training > Does anyone else crate adult dogs?
Kaya

Time to play?

Barked: Mon Feb 9, '09 2:05pm PST 
Kaya still gets crated and she's a little over 2yrs old. I suspect that we will continue to crate her through the years though. She really does seem to like it in there and seems more relaxed in general. We crate her both during the day and at night. We also felt bad about it at first because our older dog doesn't have to be crated at all. And we felt bad because everything we tried to put in there for comfort she would tear up so she just sleeps on the crate floor. She seems to prefer it that way because even the blankets she didn't tear up she would grab them with her teeth and pull them out first and then go in. Crating her during the day is just more relaxing for all involved. She has gotten into things in the past and she also likes to chase the cat when he gets the zooms around the house. We tried leaving her out at night but all she did was lay at the top of the stairs on patrol and boof at every little thing. It's almost like she knows when she's in her little space she doesn't have to be on the lookout either. She knows the routine and if she knows it's bedtime or if we're leaving and I get a treat out she runs down to her crate and opens the door for herself with her muzzle and is already waiting inside when I get there with the treat.way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Penny, Feb 16 10:53 am

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.