GO!

(Page 1 of 28: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Food & Nutrition > Possibly diabetic
Chewbacca

Play?! Let's- PLAY!!!

Barked: Fri Aug 13, '10 8:45am PST 
Hello! wave

My coworker's 9 yo Golden may have diabetes. I see this as an opportunity to help educate her on the proper nutrition (she currently feeds Kibbles n' Bits).

What are some good foods to recommend to her to help control this disease? I already advised her to NOT listen to her Vet about Rx diets.

Also, any input about diabetes I would appreciate.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Sassy, Aug 13 9:20 am

Food & Nutrition > Help Needed Dog with soft stoll pretty sure its the food
Chewbacca

Play?! Let's- PLAY!!!

Barked: Fri May 7, '10 3:01pm PST 
I would also consider using enzymes. We had this issue as well. It sort of goes with the territory of having a Boxer in your life. wink

enzyme info
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Fredy, May 17 6:58 pm

Food & Nutrition > Bully Stick products

Chewbacca

Play?! Let's- PLAY!!!

Barked: Wed Apr 28, '10 3:56pm PST 
I'd say the Antlerz first and then try the Himalayan chews.

I bought Chewie and Antler a few MONTHS back and he didn't take to it the way he does with bully sticks, himalayan chews or beef marrow bones. But he will chew on it from time to time.

The himalayan chews lasted a little bit longer than the bully sticks.

The one thing I've noticed with bully sticks is that depending on what brand they are, some will last longer than others. I can buy a 12 inch thick from bestbully, a Moo brand and then one (can't remember the brand) and Chewie will chomp thru the bestbully brand like beef jerky!! shrug For Christmas we bought the biggest one I've ever seen and he LOVED it, it lasted a few days, but we had to take it away after an hour so he didn't eat the entire thing. big laugh
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Tava, May 5 8:26 pm

Food & Nutrition > How many times do you feed per day?

Chewbacca

Play?! Let's- PLAY!!!

Barked: Thu Apr 15, '10 11:17am PST 
I'm just curious how often you feed your Adult dogs?

I currently feed twice per day but I know that some people feed once per day. I am not planning on starting once per day now, but maybe later on.

When do you switch to once per day? Do you ease into the once per day meal? Do you feed once in the evening or morning?
[notify]
» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by Bama AKA "Buddybear', Apr 18 8:49 pm

Behavior & Training > Refreshing Cesar Milan Article

Chewbacca

Play?! Let's- PLAY!!!

Barked: Thu Apr 15, '10 11:12am PST 
Thanks for sharing this article. way to go

I do love Cesar and what he does for dogs and their owners.

IMO, the biggest issue with Cesar is that people try to use ALL of his methods. Sure his basic fundamentals can work for most , but I think people forget that he has been working with dogs for YEARS and observing their body language since he was a young boy. He knows when to use the "touch" method and he is extremely self aware, confident and calm. It takes a lot of practice to get there.

The problems starts when you get old "Joe" who feels inspired because he just watched an episode of The Dog Whisperer and believes he is now capable of being a "Dog Whisperer" himself, so he gets off the couch and goes and tries to alpha roll his dog or "touch" your dog at the dog park. Sound familiar?? shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 112 posts. Last posting by Lisa, Apr 18 5:13 pm

Boxer > Thinking about a Boxer
Chewbacca

Play?! Let's- PLAY!!!

Barked: Wed Apr 14, '10 9:09am PST 
I love that you are doing your research, asking questions and wanting to make the right decision!! way to go It just makes me happy when people do that and IMO I think you would be the perfect Boxer owner!!!

And please, feel free to ask as many questions as you like. I'm only one person with my answers, but hopefully others with join in the discussion so you can get multiple opinions.wink

I'm not sure who has been telling you that Boxers have issues with other dogs, cause this can happen with any breed, but no it doesn't seem to be an issue with Boxers that I know of. We visit the dog park on a regular basis and there is always at least another Boxer there. Chewie is altered and gets along with most dogs, but he prefers females. He's a complete lover and not a fighter. Most Boxers seem to be easy going, goofballs who just want to play. But of course there is always the exception to the rule. And if you are planning on getting a puppy as long as you socialize you shouldn't have anything to worry about. I'm sure if you get a Boxer that it will be in heaven having cousins to play with. cloud 9

Okay, so this next is just my opinion. I think that Labs are higher energy than Boxers. Just saying.

With Chewie my b/f and I both work full-time. We walk him for 30 minutes in the morning, then he gets breakfast. After that he gets to sleep on the bed with Daddy for awhile his last potty break before going into the crate. He is crated from about 8AM-5:30PM. Then he gets another walk and play time in the evening, followed by dinnner.
We also do mental stimulation games some days (hide and seek, find the treat, ect.). He LOVES structure and routine. I haven't done obedience, but let me tell you during training sessions he is at FULL attention, so I'm sure a Boxer would thrive off of obedience. Some of his commands include; down, sit, over, wait, stay, leave it, high five, shake, off, get the paper (see my page for video).

For training we've used the Cesar Millan's methods for the most part, NILF (Nothing in life for free) and as I mentioned he's highly food driven so that's made training easy.

Like I said, I think you would be a good fit for a Boxer. They are so much fun!!!! snoopy
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , Jun 5 3:21 pm

Boxer > Thinking about a Boxer

Chewbacca

Play?! Let's- PLAY!!!

Barked: Tue Apr 13, '10 9:28am PST 
Boxers are wonderful!!! way to go They are goofy, sensitive, loyal, loving, energetic and so much fun to own!!! They do need plenty of exercise and I'm not talking a walk around the block. They can by hyper active for the first few years, it takes about 3 years for them to really mature.
They are wonderful around kids, but because of their high energy levels be watchful with the the really little ones.
Boxers are NOT meant to be outdoor dogs since they aren't properly equipped for extreme weather conditions. They can also overheat, so caution is needed in warmer climates. Also they can jump REALLY high, so if you do leave them outside a 6 foot fence would be a breeze for them.

The downside is that they have digestive and allergy issues, are prone to heart problems and of course cancer. I haven't met a Boxer yet that can eat whatever without having "issues" so be prepared to research proper nutrition and to pay for premium foods.
In terms of males vs. females it seems that (my experience) males are more easy going and females tend to have more same sex aggression issues.
Boxers are also very quiet, Chewie rarely barks unless he is playing. He isn't the best watch dog around, he is more likely to lick and wiggle himself to greet the burglar than attack them, but he has been known to growl at the window if he sees something he doesn't like.

Chewie was very easily housebroken (if you are thinking about a puppy) and training has been fairly easy due to him being strongly food driven. Boxers can be stubborn though and sometimes a bit sneaky. They come from the working group and seem to thrive off of a good routine.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask questions!!! Boxers are a lot of work, like any dog can be, but it's SO worth it if you have the time.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Jun 5 3:21 pm

Dog Health > Redness "sore" between toe pads.

Chewbacca

Play?! Let's- PLAY!!!

Barked: Fri Mar 12, '10 3:02pm PST 
Sallie- you might want to also post in the infirmary section of Boxer town. It kind of sounds like yeast and I know a few pals over there have experienced this and if I remember correctly they used Apple Cider Vinegar to rid of the yeast.

Good luck sweetie! kissing
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Brodie Bear, Mar 13 10:09 pm

Dog Health > Boys that don\'t \"lift\" to pee...

Chewbacca

Play?! Let's- PLAY!!!

Barked: Tue Mar 2, '10 8:19am PST 
Porter- Chewie has peed on the back of his legs a few times, when he really had to go. laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Angel, Mar 5 7:29 pm

Dog Health > Boys that don\'t \"lift\" to pee...
Chewbacca

Play?! Let's- PLAY!!!

Barked: Mon Mar 1, '10 3:00pm PST 
I have a question for those who have males that don't life to pee.

Does anyone else notice a discoloration around the belly button from urine stains?
[notify]
» There has since been 28 posts. Last posting by Angel, Mar 5 7:29 pm

(Page 1 of 28: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.