Postings by Isabelle the Great's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 87: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Other Barks & Woofs > SPAM, Poop, & Morlocks
Isabelle the- Great

Nothing is- greater than an- Springer!

Barked: Sat Jun 27, '15 10:24am PST 
Rainy and windy here today. Isabelle is at least having the time of her life playing in all of the puddles. Power is out in parts of Fort Wayne because of the high winds. Of course conservative Christians are saying this is the worse weather we have had and it has to with the Supreme Court ruling from yesterday. Not all Christians are behaving this way but it seem disparaging to me because it gives a bad name to all of us Christians. By the way... this is no where near the worse weather Indiana has had... ever...

In other news... the puppy has a potential adopter! He is really a sweet and gentle dog but his size is to much for Mr. Buckles.

Have a good Saturday!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Bunny, Today 2:58 am

Isabelle the- Great

Barked: Wed Jun 24, '15 5:05pm PST 
Flicka if you want to visit the Great Lakes, I suggest Mackinac Island and the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. It is one of my favorite places in the world. It has falls, the Pictured Rocks, wildlife, and is absolutely stunning!

I may have to stop fostering for a bit. Mr. Buckles is 15 and has bad back hips... it's getting harder for him to move around and I think the 20 month old puppy... who weighs over 60 lbs is to much for him to keep up with. The puppy is also learning that I don't pet puppies that bully old geezers. I just don't want Mr B to have to put up with clumsy puppies who aren't quite coordinated yet. Debating on if I should take Mr. B to the dog park with Isabelle and said puppy tomorrow. I feel bad when I leave him out but I don't want him to get hurt.

Other than that... I am good. Day off tomorrow so I plan on spending it with the dogs.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Bunny, Today 2:58 am

Choosing the Right Dog > ECS, ESS and WSS help?

Isabelle the- Great

Barked: Fri Jun 19, '15 8:00am PST 
Spaniels are typically full grown by six months of age. Your breeder should be able to help you with that too. I would think by six months of age you should be able to do longer walks. The English Cocker Spaniel will be able to do everything a Springer can do the plus being is that they are calmer.

I really hope you get to talk to Judy. She will be able to guide you through breeders better than I because she also knows temperament of the kennels and I don't.

www.springerrescue.org is the rescue site. There are plenty of dogs who need homses and would love to exercise with you.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Isabelle the Great, Jun 19 8:00 am

Isabelle the- Great

Barked: Thu Jun 18, '15 8:14pm PST 
Out of the breeders for the ESS, I like Foxborogr the best. She actively shows and health tests her dogs. Please do not go through Kinni River Springers as I see no health clearances done on their dogs. They also breed specifically for color.

One of the absolute best people to talk to about Spaniel breeders is the lady who has this kennel: Vistah Springers. She is the co-founder of ESRA and very big on temperament. She extremely honest too. She lives in Ohio.

Stonehenge in Indiana is also a amazing breeder of Springers.

I know of a Welsh Springer Spaniel breeder in Michigan who does good breedings too but the kennel name escapes me.

For the English Cockers, both breeders seem good on glancing through their website. Out of all the breeders, Kinni River is the one I would not go to. No health clearance can be found after searching the OFFA site. Kinni seems to only breed for the rare colors and not for health. Plus they randomly breed the show and field together for no other reason than color.

UTIs for Isabelle were stress related and easily treated. You sound active enough for a Spaniel and if you are worried about your work schedule, I would go for a bench bred Springer. Leaving them for 5-6 hrs when they are adults should not be an issue if they are trained properly. On a note about how much you plan to do...it may be to much for a puppy to handle. You will have to work at it slowly and wait until the dog is done growing before walking five miles. Isabelle is an alert barker but she is not really vocal at any other time. I would like to encourage you to look through the ESRA website. Adult dogs are awesome and we have plenty of dogs in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Illinois/Indiana. I volunteer for this group so I like to see my work pay off. A month ago we actually had a blue roan Springer for adoption.

You are really headed in the right direction though as you are already looking at better breeders and not BYB. If you have your heart set on a dog with roan coloring than I urge you to get a English Cocker rather than a Springer. Roans are relatively rare in Springers whereas they are a more popular coat choice in English Cockers. I once got an English Springer from a breeder who only bred Tri-colors and ended up with a neurotic dog who was diagnosed with Epilepsy and died before he was three from a seizure. Since then I am pro-rescue. I am not anti-breeder but I now know what to look for in a breeder and those who breed for color should be avoided. Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Isabelle the Great, Jun 19 8:00 am

Isabelle the- Great

Barked: Thu Jun 18, '15 6:46pm PST 
I am an avid Spaniel person. I currently own one English Springer Spaniel and foster for English Springer Rescue America.

I find Spaniels are easy to train and respond well to clicker training and other positive training methods and are easily distraught when you use negativity at them. Spaniels tend to be sensitive, especially to correction. Crate training and potty training are relatively easy if you keep your dog on a schedule (Isabelle my ESS was potty trained almost as soon as she came home and the only time she had accidents as an adult was when she had a UTI or is sick).

The main problem with this breed is that due to overbreeding for the ESS and ECS is that their temperament has been effected. A well bred Spaniel is happy, energetic, and not neurotic. Another problem is that these breeds have it all... brains, beauty, and energy making them destructive if left alone with nothing to do over periods of time. The main reason ESS get turned into rescue is because people don't realize how much energy they have. These breeds need mental stimulation along with regular exercise. NEVER use a laser pointer with these breeds as is it can cause OCD and light or shadow chasing.

Color should not effect the price of the dog. A good breeder does not charge based on color and avoid breeders who breed specifically for color rather than health and temperament.

Be aware that the English Springer Spaniel comes in Bench and field variety with the field variety being tons more energetic and spastic. The Bench bred are the ones with the long coats you see in shows.

Welsh Springer Spaniels are not as popular as the English Springer Spaniel or the English Cocker Spaniel. The English Springer is the most popular of the three which means there are a lot of irresponsible breeders for this breed. I cannot guide you on breeders but if you know of some and want my opinion on any just post them here and I can give a quick opinion.

If you are on facebook, join English Springer Spaniel Lovers, Clayton, and Welsh Springer Spaniel facebook groups.

As always, I have to do a plug for ESRA... the English Springer Rescue America. We get dogs of all ages who need loving homes. The best part of rescue is that you can adopt an adult dog who is already housebroke and crate trained. All of the dogs I have foster have left me being crate trained, house broke, and with basic manners. Please visit www.springerrescue.org for more info.

I also live in the Midwest (Indiana to be exact) so I do know of some breeders for Welsh Springers and English Springers. My next puppy is either going to be a Welsh Springer, another Cocker, or a Cavalier King Charles.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Isabelle the Great, Jun 19 8:00 am

Isabelle the- Great

Barked: Wed Jun 17, '15 7:56pm PST 
I am seriously considering a Cockalier if I can find one in rescue because I doubt I can find a good breeder.

I like all Spaniels but I have always had a cocker or a Springer. I have also had a Brittany. I want something new but I doubt I can talk the boyfriend into an Irish or American Water Spaniel... he doesn't like the curled breeds. Boyfriend only has experience with his step father's lab.
[notify]
» There has since been 29 posts. Last posting by Bunny, Today 2:58 am

Choosing the Right Dog > NorCalPups

Isabelle the- Great

Barked: Tue Jun 16, '15 7:47pm PST 
I find it weird that a 'moderator'... especially the one who posted would have to ask this question. I'm not trying to be rude, but this person has always come off as extremely well educated in the doggy world.

As for this site...nope...nope...nope. They say this about Cavalier King Charles Spaniels "The Cavalier are in general healthy puppies, without many issues", except this breed is generally not as healthy as it can be.

The site's goal is to sell puppies at any costs. A responsible breeder would not be selling their dogs through this site.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Mon 12:59 pm

Isabelle the- Great

Barked: Tue Jun 16, '15 6:40pm PST 
Whats is better for someone who has never experienced a puppy? A Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, a Cocker (American) Spaniel, Welsh Springer, or English Springer? Boyfriend has never raised a puppy and I want a puppy (though I am waiting for a year or so) but I want to ease him into puppies. Or am I using this as an excuse to get a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel? Though finding a puppy in rescue for any of those breeds is nearly impossible...

We got rain and flash flooding but what can you expect when your city has three rivers running through it...

All is good though... smile
[notify]
» There has since been 35 posts. Last posting by Bunny, Today 2:58 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Chow Chows

Isabelle the- Great

Barked: Fri May 29, '15 7:02pm PST 
I do not like the look of Domino Chows. They have a lot of dogs and it seems like they keep them in kennels rather than inside. Also, after searching the OFFA database, I did not see any genetic tests done on their dogs.

I wouldn't count out rescues. Some are flexible with you and understand that not everyone can be a stay at home dog parent. As a foster home for dogs myself, I always tell the adoption team what dogs are okay by themselves and what dogs aren't.

The Chow Chow parent club website may look outdated, but it has all the information you need to find a responsible breeder, including a page in which you can look up test results yourself. Do not be fooled by websites and Facebook. Many horrible breeders have these and their dogs live crappy lives. A lot of amazing breeders do not have a website or Facebook and the only way to find them is to ask other Chow Chow breeders.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Koby, May 30 5:28 am

Isabelle the- Great

Barked: Sun May 24, '15 12:19pm PST 
Why I like female dogs more than male dogs... both boys are suffocating me right now and Isabelle is chilling across the the living room. I think the boys annoy her too so she gets to go with me to my boyfriend's place tonight. I love that he allows her to come with me and it gives them a chance to bond because he know where ever I live, Isabelle comes with me. I told him if he get's a man cave, Isabelle gets her own room and a pond in the backyard.

They are shooting fireworks off already which is why I think Mr. Buckles is being so clingy even though he's 95% deaf. It is three in three in the afternoon...you know perfect time to shoot fireworks...

Have you heard the song from Fast and Furious 7? It is called See You Again and is the Paul Walker tribute. I can't listen to it without thinking about my dog Charley who died before he was three and I'm pretty sure it will be the song I use for my tribute to Isabelle when she passes away. I think it is a really good song.

Off to see what songs my birds like. They seem to disagree about Reflections from Mulan...
[notify]
» There has since been 122 posts. Last posting by Bunny, Today 2:58 am

(Page 1 of 87: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.