Postings by ~ Gabe~'s Family

GO!

Jack Russell Terrier > Is this a JRT?

Jakpot

Barked: Wed Dec 17, '08 11:51pm PST 
It's hard to tell, but she could possibly have some jack russell in her. Her head set looks a little different, and she looks like she could possibly have some either rat terrier or beagle in her. Both my jacks were small at 8 weeks of age. As far as being aggressive with your cats, I wouldn't worry. My first Jack was raised with cats, the second one wasn't. Both dogs were active in Go - To - Ground competitions too. The first got along with them, the one i have now doesn't, but wasn't raised with them either. They are very intelligent dogs, and learn very quickly what is expected of them. Wait a couple months, and you'll probably be able to tell more of what she has in her. Good luck with the new puppy!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Lily, Dec 22 6:09 am

Akita > Akita Training Questions
~ Gabe~

Big Dog on- Campus

Barked: Wed Dec 17, '08 11:34pm PST 
Gabe is my second Akita. Reuben, a male we had before Gabe was raised with my other dogs and cats, and got along well with all of them. Other dogs or cats on the other hand not so much. The Akita I have now, is also a male. He got along fine with my other dogs up until the age of 4 months. He's neutered, has been to obedience, etc, etc. He's fine with people, unless put in a threatening situation, but will NOT get along with other animals. If you are going to own an Akita, you need to know first and foremost that you can not change their personalities. They were bred as hunting dogs and as fighting dogs. You can not breed these traits out of any dog!! You can control them up to an extent, but they will always exist. If you are unsure of how your Akita will act with another animal, I suggest keeping them at a safe distance first to see how your Akita interacts with them. Gabe was put in obedience at 4 1/2 months of age, and did very well, as long as another dog didn't envade his personal space. He still does very well today, as long as he's the only dog. Which means, we keep our other dogs away from him and we do not let him run. Each Akita has their own personality and their own likes and dislikes, you have to accept them. Perhaps you should read up on the breed and their history, it may help you understand what to expect. I learned that Gabe is just acting out in the way he was bred, I love him, and even though he is aggressive with other animals, I accepted this. Just like some people have wolves as pets, you can tame them, but you can never domesticate them. All dogs still posesse their wild ancestory. Good luck in your ventures!!! wave
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Stella, Mar 5 4:39 am

Miniature Schnauzer > question about the color salt n pepper

Gunner

Barked: Mon Oct 27, '08 4:27pm PST 
My mommy is a little concerned about my color. My "uncle" was registered as black n silver, but over the years with grooming he has become a dark salt n pepper. I am only 10 weeks old, I was dark when my mommy adopted me and after my haircut I was really really salt n pepper. After a couple weeks when my hair started growing back in it started taking on the color of almost rusty look. Salt n pepper with shades of tan mixed in. Is this normal? Will it eventually grow out to where it's all salt n pepper?????
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Sadies Master Rollye, Apr 3 8:49 am

Jack Russell Terrier > Please tell me about your jack.

Jakpot

Barked: Wed Aug 13, '08 6:55pm PST 
Hi! My name is Jakpot! I'm an energetic bundle of joy. I was adopted by my mom and my little sister when I was 8 weeks old. I have competed in conformation, go to ground and jack russell racing (my personal favorite). I know how to speak on command, give high fives, leave "it", sit pretty, catch food, frisbees, and toys, and best of all GET THE MOUSE!! I'm a huge couch potatoe in the house, but get me outside and I'm non stop at whatever it is I may be doing. I love going on car rides, digging holes looking for vermon, and waiting for handouts from anyone that will toss one to me. I smile, give kisses, make for a great foot warmer, and an even better pillow. My mom and little sister say that every day with me is a new and exciting adventure and that I bring joy and love to them every day. puppy
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Kyleigh Thornton, Apr 14 8:21 am

Grooming > what does it look like before...

~ Gabe~

Big Dog on- Campus

Barked: Wed Aug 13, '08 6:46pm PST 
all double coated breeds blow their coats twice a year. Once in the spring, and once in the fall. Having been a groomer for 17 years and the owner of a full blooded Akita, I'm familiar with the tumbleweeds blowing around the yard. laugh out loud There is no sure way to end the blowing of the coat. If you have time and patience, give Maya a good bath, followed by a good conditioner that will help loosen the hair. Dry her really well, then get a universal brush and start brushing. There is no sure method of removing all the undercoat at once unless you brush all day long and have your arms fall asleep in the process. laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Uschi, Aug 15 6:17 pm

Akita > Akita Training Questions
~ Gabe~

Big Dog on- Campus

Barked: Wed Aug 13, '08 6:37pm PST 
This is my second Akita, the first one I had respected my other dogs at the time, but would not get along with any other dog in his "pack". The Akita I have now is neutered and lives with 3 other dogs. But at 4 months of age his dominance took over and he had to be seperated from the other dogs. He's outside in a pen now big enough to house him in and for him to move around. During the day he's allowed to run around the yard but only if the other dogs are put up. You have to remember that Akitas were used to hunt large prey and were also used as Japanese fighting and guard dogs at one time. I've known people to have more than one Akita and not have a problem. However, as it states in any Akita book that you would read, they should never be left unattended with a small animal or small child. wink
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Stella, Mar 5 4:39 am

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.