Postings by Maggie RIP 1998-2010's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 58: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > The great misteries of dogs and water
Vivace

Wonder pup in- the making.

Barked: Sun Apr 21, '13 5:01am PST 
Vivace loves to go swimming. She will jump in any pond, pool, lake, you name it. Add a dock she can jump off and she is in heaven. But she will refuse to go out in the rain unless I take her out on a leash and then right back in the house as fast as she can. She also will avoid walking in puddles at all cost. If she has to walk through one she will almost look like she is on her tip toes. As for baths, I gave up. She goes to the groomer.

Skippy loves swimming also. He hates the rain but will go outside to potty on his own then runs back into the house. He loves puddles and runs right through them. Thankfully he doesn't mind baths once I get him in. He runs for cover when he knows he is getting one. But one in the tub he just stands there and enjoys the rub down. He tends to get baths more often because of his love for puddles.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Milton, Apr 25 5:56 pm

Behavior & Training > Does anyone else's dog hate rain?
Vivace

Barked: Tue Sep 4, '12 5:40pm PST 
Both Skippy and Vivace love water. Give then a lake, river, canal, pool or pond to jump in and they go bonkers. But ask them to go out in the rain and they look at you like you are crazy. Skippy will go out very quickly to potty and run right back in if it is a light rain, but Vivace will only go out if I put her on a leash and take her out. It is almost like she is saying "If I have to go out this so are you". Both will refuse if it is a heavy rain. Vivace will even avoid walking in puddles while Skippy run right through them even though it means a bath after because he is so muddy.

Skippy also loves when it is snowing. He will ask to go outside any time we go near the back door. Vivace is still a whimp and just like rain I have to leash her and walk her out side to potty and then right back in the house she goes.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Augusta, CGC, RN, Sep 9 3:48 pm

Sports & Agility > Dock Diving brag!

Vivace

Barked: Sat Aug 25, '12 7:49pm PST 
Way to go!!!!! Vivace goes bonkers when it comes to dock diving also. It sure doesn't take them long to figure it out once they learn it is fun. I love the sport even if we don't get out to do it that often. We took the year odd due to financial reasons and for some training to get her to listen better on the dock. Hopefully next year we will get to some events. This sport is so addicting since it really is so much fun. I don't know who has more fun the dogs or the owners.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Vivace, Aug 25 7:49 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > benefits of adopting an older dog?

Maggie - RIP - 1998-2010

Even senior dogs- make great new- pets.

Barked: Sat Jun 30, '12 1:39pm PST 
We adopted Maggie at the age of 10. At the time having an older dog that was calmer, but still wanted to play was what we needed and were looking for. So adopting an older JRT was perfect for us at the time. We had two wonderful years with her before we had to help her to the bridge due to heart failure. Because of her if the chance and timing is right I would adopt an older dog again.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Miss Scarlett, Jul 2 6:17 pm

Behavior & Training > Ever wonder if your dog will protect you?

Skippy RIP- 2002-2014

RIP 2002- 2014

Barked: Sat Jun 23, '12 7:22pm PST 
I often walk Vivy at night and a few times she has growled at strange men. Normally she is very friendly and will not react to anyone. One of the times one of the men were actually following us and when he got close she let it be known not to come closer. There are also a few guys that seem to like to hang out near this one place we walk during the day. They always seem to be on some kind of drug and/or drunk. She always starts to pull on the leash and doesn't stop until we are well past them. I do think that even though she is a love bug and likes all people she would protect me if needed.

Skippy on the other hand is very leery of strange people in general. If at home he will never let a stranger get more than a few feet into the house without me telling him to let them in.

Both dogs did scare off a guy that walked into my house one afternoon. It wasn't long after we got Vivy and she ran up to the door barking like mad. Skippy was upstairs but sure ran fast when he heard me yell. That guy never even got more than one foot into the door until the "welcoming" party was there. This guy had been attempting the same thing to a few other units in the co-op that day. He left real quick after my house. That and the police were called and came into the area right away.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kahuna, Jun 25 10:44 am

Dog Health > Thoughts on groomers who do not ask for shot records...?
Vivace

Barked: Sat Jan 21, '12 4:11pm PST 
My regular groomer doesn't ask for shot records except for bordatella when she was helping run a daycare within the building were she was grooming. She is very strict about the health of any animal that comes into her building. She has even come to my home to trim Vivy's nails one time when she had the runs from eating something she shouldn't, just because they really needed to be done and we are friends.

The only place I was ever asked for prof of rabies is Petsmart. Since it was a spur of the moment nail trim while we were shopping and I didn't have records Vivy had to wear a muzzle as per their "procedures for dogs without prof of rabies vaccination"
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Stormy Puppy (Found a home!), Jan 25 10:12 pm

Behavior & Training > Freaking out while riding in car.

Vivace

Barked: Fri Jan 20, '12 5:47am PST 
I will try teaching her to lay on the floor. We have done that a few times when the back seat was full of people. I just have always wanted the dogs buckled up. But for my sanity I am willing to give it a try. I will also pick up a thunder shirt to see if it helps also. We have some longer trips coming up and I really need her to be calm in the car and not freaking out for the 2 hour plus drive.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Vivace, Jan 20 5:47 am

Vivace

Barked: Wed Jan 18, '12 9:48pm PST 
No she doesn't drool at all. She does pant a bit even if it is cold still in the car. If the car is off she seems calm and kind of sits down. It is once we get moving she starts to freak out. If I reach back to her she will quiet down. But I can't keep touching her to let her know everything is okay when I need both hands on the wheel. She has been known to try and get up front with me. Which is an option that I will never allow since I believe that dogs should always be in the back.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Vivace, Jan 20 5:47 am

Vivace

Barked: Wed Jan 18, '12 6:28pm PST 
I don't think she is doing this from being excited or aroused. We have tried making it so she can't see out and she was a bit calmer. I don't mind the quiet whining it is the barking and howling that gets to me. Normally if she is really excited she whines quietly. She more has the look of pure panic. I have tried to just ignore her and that hasn't worked.

Blocking her view really isn't an option as I am one those drivers that has to make sure there is nothing blocking the windows and such. It freaks me out. Plus she would just pull the sheet down. (yes she is that smart at times)
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Vivace, Jan 20 5:47 am

Vivace

Barked: Wed Jan 18, '12 5:51pm PST 
We are having a huge issue with Vivy and riding in the car. Outside of the car she is great, calm, and well trained. But once in the car and we start moving she turns into a barking, whining, howling, crazy person. It is almost like she goes into panic mode. We use to have a van and I would crate her and she was fine as long as she couldn't see out. (I had a plastic crate for her not a metal one) But now that we have a car this is not an option. (the car was bought when we needed a vehicle quickly after the van broke down and wasn't worth fixing again)The only time she is calm and quiet is when someone is in the back seat with her. And then she still whines quietly. She loves going places with us so it isn't like we have to fight to get her in.

I have tried taking her for short rides to get her use to the car and then increasing the distance when she appeared calm but cannot go more than a few blocks before she starts. Also giving treats to let her know the car is a good thing but she will not take them unless we are stopped. Once she gets out of the car she acts like nothing happened. She also goes in the car without any problems when told to "load up" as I don't let the dogs go in the car until the command is given. (long story with the other dog and not knowing he was on the very back seat of the van until I had driven half way across town.)

I need suggestions to help her learn to be calm during rides when it is just the two of us in the car. All my dogs ride in the back seat belted as I don't allow then loose in the car for their safety and mine.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Vivace, Jan 20 5:47 am

(Page 1 of 58: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.