Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 18: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  

Behavior & Training > train dogs to sleep on bed in floor
Winston

Barked: Mon Oct 7, '13 5:19am PST 
My dogs are 5 & 6 years old. They are crate trained and due to our schedules are crated all day and then to sleep at night. We tried to leave them out during the day, but my bigger dog has separation anxiety and ends up chewing up anything he can think of. We do not trust to leave him out (this happens even if we walk him twice a day, he's very moody). Our next option was to leave them out at night to sleep. I obviously can't leave them out in the living room because he will still get into stuff if we aren't watching. I want them to sleep in our room, on the floor, in their own beds. The bad thing is, if they come into the bedroom they will automatically get in our bed. Is is possible to train them to sleep on their own bed in the floors at their ages? What do I need to do?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Oct 17 5:37 pm

Food & Nutrition > need to switch from NV Instinct- lower cost/good quality
Maddie

got any food???

Barked: Thu Sep 26, '13 5:42am PST 
Thank you! I will have to look into that. My local pet store does not carry it, looks like there is only one store in the whole state of NC that sells it! I'd have to order some online. My dogs are needing some food and I am going to start the gradual switch, I might try out Great Life and see how they do then look into ordering Pulsar.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Sep 26 5:42 am

Maddie

got any food???

Barked: Tue Sep 24, '13 11:57am PST 
I stopped feeding my dogs Wellness and Natural Balance because of the inconsistant quality of the foods and all of the recalls with Diamond products. I am nervous about TOTW. So you've never had any issues with the food? Seems that most Diamond's issues stem from their plant in South Carolina, yet they still have it operating and you never know which plant your food comes from.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Sep 26 5:42 am

Maddie

got any food???

Barked: Tue Sep 24, '13 6:12am PST 
Hey there!

My pups have been on NV Instinct for a few years now. They love the food and do alright on it, except I think the high protein and lower carb might be making my pug a tad underweight. I can't seem to keep weight on her no matter how much I feed her!

I am also getting into a financial bind and need something a little more cost efficient. Right now I am paying close to $40 for 13.5lbs that only lasts me 2.5 weeks. I was looking at getting something a little lower in protein and fat. One of my dogs is gluten/corn/soy/wheat/grain intolerant and the pug is allergic to most feathered things and who knows what else (she's always itchy). I need to stick to a grain and potato (white) free food.

I looked at Pioneer Natural's (Great Life) Grain & Potato free foods and they look great on paper, but then I read reviews of plastic and hair in the food??? Plus the company isn't regulated the same?? I am slightly overwhelmed with all of that.

Anyone else have any comments on GL/PN foods or any other grain/potato free foods I might try??

Natural Balance is a no go. My pug gained so much weight and they just weren't healthy on it.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Sep 26 5:42 am

Behavior & Training > crating dog all day

Winston

Barked: Fri May 17, '13 12:01pm PST 
I feel horrible right now. I always thought that crating my dog was safer and more comforting for them. Recently they have started acting out. My mutt has PICA I swear, he eats the most random stuff. The pug has started marking on our clothes if they are on the floor. I then started reading that they shouldn't be crated all day. Unfortunately due to new jobs for the last year or so they have been crated about 11 hours a day (I know, I didn't realize it was that long). Then we also crated them at night. When I look at the big picture they are spending their lives in their crates.
I am almost in tears because I realize I am probably causing their emotional issues.

Is it okay to start leaving them out during the day? How do I train them not to sleep on our bed at night if we want to leave them out? They think they own our bed.

I really want to put them in day care or get a dog walker, but we really can't afford it frown
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , May 17 4:18 pm

Food & Nutrition > Grain free and hungry all the time
Maddie

got any food???

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 5:00pm PST 
It's both of my dogs though, 13 lb pug and 45lb mutt! They didn't get this hungry until I switched from natural balance to instinct :/ I've heard the suggestion of getting the bowls that slow down eating. They eat in like 30 sec flat!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Apr 6 4:24 am

Food & Nutrition > Grain free and hungry all the time

Maddie

got any food???

Barked: Thu Apr 4, '13 4:21pm PST 
I think I may have asked this before, but my pups are on natures variety instinct due to gluten/filler intolerances and my other pup has food allergies and systemic yeast (we think). I try to stay away from dog foods with sweet potatoes because my pug itches more with them. My issue with instinct, which they've been on for over a year, is that they are always hungry! I'm even feeding them more calories than I did before. My pug has even lost weight in the last year. I love natures variety because their skin and coat is better but I am tired of their begging and acting hungry. Are there any gluten/filler free foods of equal quality that may have more fiber to keep them full?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Apr 6 4:24 am

Food & Nutrition > Pug losing weight

Maddie

got any food???

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 6:33am PST 
Well I know that 13lbs for a pug is too small. 14 is her minimum. When she went to the vet last September she was 14.5 and the vet said she was perfect. She lost the weight in a year. I'm upping her food a little and we shall see. She's not just skinny she's acting like she's starving and so is my other pup
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Feb 23 8:57 am

Food & Nutrition > Pug losing weight

Maddie

got any food???

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 6:29pm PST 
A year or so ago my pug was around 18lbs which is her max weight because she is small. The vet said she could lose some weight. I changed their food to a grain free due to her allergies and my other dogs gluten intolerance and she started losing weight. Bad thing is, she's lost too much I think! I just weighed her and she's at around 13.6lbs I can see her little ribs when she stands up. She's on natures variety instinct (was on salmon) now eating the LID turkey. She gets 1/4 c twice a day. My 45-50lb dog (who needs to lose weifht) only gets a 1/2 cup 2xs day and isn't really losing. What's the deal with the food? What should I do? Should I be worried she's so skinny? I think I just need to increase their food. The NV website says 3/4 cup a day for that flavor, I was still feeding the amount I did with the salmon. Haha hmmm maybe I should have done the feeding guide before coming to you guys ....
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Feb 23 8:57 am

Dog Health > I feel like a bad "parent"...
Winston

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '13 9:04am PST 
Thanks everyone! My dogs aren't really chewers, they've never even had a bone. Winston like nylabones as a puppy but stopped chewing around age 2. The fact that they don't chew is what makes me nervous. They have bad allergie and Winston is gluten intolerant so I am leary of the dental bones. I live in an apartment, so giving them raw bones on my carpet is a NO NO. I don't have the outdoor space to let them chew. Maybe I'll try brushing, if not I will look into the alternatives everyone suggested. Thanks so much for the help!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Feb 14 9:44 am

(Page 1 of 18: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.