Postings by Tiller (Skansen's Ira in the M's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 515: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Choosing the Right Dog > I Need Pictures!
Tiller- (Skansen's- Ira in the M

I DO Exist...To- Drive You Batty

Barked: Tue Apr 22, '14 9:00am PST 
A puppy???!!! How exciting! Everyone seems to be getting puppies, darn it! Very jealous! laugh out loud

Thanks to all for your resounding response....it is so much appreciated! I will go over the pics and get back to you individually, but you have been more helpful than I could have hoped for. Thank you SO much!
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Clyde, May 4 7:10 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Brussels Griffon

Barked: Wed Apr 16, '14 12:31pm PST 
You can't replicate a breed in some other version, but.....BUT!....if you wish you could then somewhere, deep inside, part of your dogness is not entirely satisfied. You want the basic breed you are on, but think something is missing. So said from many years as a breed matcher. Now you COULD look at a cute face and say "I wish that was like a Poodle." That's legal wink Personally, I like multiple breeds and couldn't just have one breed, for then I would feel like I wasn't getting all my dog loving bases covered. No breed covers all the bases. I know when I was on GSDs, I sometimes felt envious of people who had Labs. Just something wasn't hitting the mark. I don't feel the same now that I have Giants. They are a lot more tactile, playful and silly and can just "be a dog." I can hear in my head some huff, "well! my GSDs are very tactile, playful and silly." Not compared to a Giant, they're not wink One thing I adore about Giants is they are not all work, no play. They are pretty much all play, splayed out and all doggy, until trouble comes a-callin'....that's when they turn on a dime. They definitely make me yearn for other breeds a lot less.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Sarah, CW-SR, CW-G1, CGC, May 7 8:03 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Brussels Griffon

Barked: Wed Apr 16, '14 7:16am PST 
I am not sure of Sarah's experiences of Sprout (all breeds can vary, lol) but Brussels generally ain't no Poodle laugh out loud big laugh They are def a breed my Schnauzerly side would own. They have a very large personality and are one of the most terrier-ish of the small breeds. Self important (what they are and what breed people want), stubborn, mind of their own and actually a rather responsible dog so they always feel like they have stuff to do. They are super good bonders and smart as whips with a life loving personality, so they are easy to engage. They will bore, though. They climb a lot, are great little guarders, very affectionate, can be hysterically funny. Generally are amenable with other dogs in the house (less jealous than a lot of toys can be), can have a little tude with strange dogs. They really think a LOT of themselves and when well bred, well raised can be overly confident....part of their charm smile
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Sarah, CW-SR, CW-G1, CGC, May 7 8:03 pm

Barked: Sun Apr 13, '14 1:06pm PST 
No, no! I have interesting people working on articles, tutorials, etc., but of course pictures to accompany are just way nicer. My own store of rescue pics is getting used up so fast! I want a stock pile of good pics (will credit if asked)....mutts and purebreds, pups on up through seniors, happy shots, funny shots, relaxing shots, activity shots. Just EVERYTHING! wink
[notify]
» There has since been 20 posts. Last posting by Clyde, May 4 7:10 pm

Barked: Sun Apr 13, '14 10:02am PST 
I am developing a website and really, severely need a lot of pictures! If there are some you love and would not mind me using, please let me know! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by Clyde, May 4 7:10 pm

Puppy Place > New Puppy!!

Barked: Mon Apr 7, '14 3:38pm PST 
I am with Moose! I am a puppy freak. Whatever it is that people complain about, I miss it all. By the time they are two, I am in absolute withdrawal, lol! Take lots of pictures, Ty. He stands some chance to be a difficult teenager, so at least you can reminisce whilst looking forward to his formed adult version wink
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Hershey, May 30 6:34 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > GSD Breeder

Barked: Mon Mar 31, '14 12:42pm PST 
I am very happy for you, Sabi smile As I said, sometimes it can get frustrating. Particularly when you get anywhere near precise in what you want. It more comes with the territory, but if you stick with it, you do eventually find the pup and breeder you are after way to go

That comment doesn't surprise me. Sabi, off her looks, had that old school look all told. With a lot of these "old fashioneds" breeders, that is what they try to emulate, although with various extremes. The phrases you were hearing most likely were referring to dogs bred for military for the Czech/Slovak border patrol. Those dogs were a lot harder.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Sabi, Mar 31 11:42 pm

Barked: Sun Mar 30, '14 9:52am PST 
I think with some breeds, it's a little easier and with others harder. A bit like Scottish Terriers...tons of terriers out there of that size, some are related. But that personality...only the one wink

ETA that nothing is wrong with switching, though! You can say you need health test *this* and then your new dog gets *that* or decide you need pedigree *that* and by the time you get it, it has shifted. Trust me....been there laugh out loud

So sometimes you think about the function you want and then go for something else. Really different, then you are not moping it is "not a GSD." There is plenty out there that is not a GSD, but they never let you think that in the first place. I love my Giants. I miss the old days with the GSDs, but hearing the familiar tales from others still on them....have never had second thoughts.

I wouldn't rule out any pedigree, GSD wise. Why limit yourself? If you are finding someone doing what you want and it is a purebred GSD, good enough. Or, you could consider rescuing again. Get on this breed and health is a risk....PERIOD. So what the heck wink
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Sabi, Mar 31 11:42 pm

Barked: Sun Mar 30, '14 8:41am PST 
Yup...that last one is the loo loo. There is no substitute for GSD character....it's the von Stephanitz genius. So you can't really sub it. Best off saying "well, that's that" and doing something different. You aren't going to get that mix.Part of it is intangible, but the part that ain't is that you have that protection nature with a comparatively high social center, and that ultra high trainability and versatility. I am glad I went with Giants (no, am not recommending, lol) Very different. That's more what you'd need to do, or else all you are doing is sighing that it's not a GSD...like a Belgian. Ain't no GSD. Giants don't pretend to be. Farm dogs, have enough vigor to knock a bull over and are stubborn like one too, like to be a nuisance and are larger than life. Just different.

Breed I most know to actually satisfy GSD crossovers have been American Bulldogs, surprisingly. Not recommending them, either, lol, but they have a ginormous handler bond many feel hits closest to home, all the versatility, etc.

I still wouldn't give up, though. If it has to be one, then it can be. Looking for a breeder can be frustrating. It's just something you sometimes go through.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Sabi, Mar 31 11:42 pm

Get Well Soon > Scruffy is very sick

Barked: Sat Mar 29, '14 11:37am PST 
Oh dear, just seeing this now. I am so sorry frown Please update when you can, but thoughts are with you hug
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Holly - CGC TDI, Apr 11 9:21 am

(Page 1 of 515: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.