Close X

Postings by Sophie, SD's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 687: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Service & Therapy Dogs > Harley
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Tue May 17, '16 9:51am PST 
He made the front page of the paper.

http://www.sunherald.com/living/pets/article77779212.html
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , May 31 5:42 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Harley
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Sat May 14, '16 7:22pm PST 
For the old timers here, I thought I'd let y'all know that Harley passed this morning. I could not have asked for a better service dog. He will always be my super service boy.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , May 31 5:42 am

Dog Health > 5 Month Old Pup with Persistent UTIs - Genetic?

Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Sun Feb 1, '15 4:58pm PST 
What's the dog's pH? If the natural pH is at 7 or higher, it make the urinary tract a good place for bacteria growth, and can lead to more UTIs. Adding Vit C (dose will depend on the dog) will bring the pH back down.

My Hershey had a natural pH between 7 - 7.5. She was prone to UTIs when she was younger. Putting her on Vit C stopped the UTIs. She was on 500 mg/day. Harley has CKD, so UTIs can be a serious issue. He is on 500 mg of Vit C, 3 times a day, and that keeps his pH around 6, and those pesky UTIs at bay.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Jasper (1998~2016), Feb 15 11:00 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > My boy is gone

Hershey

I'm sticking my- tongue out at- you!

Barked: Sun Dec 21, '14 1:40pm PST 
I'm so sorry. We just lost our Hershey, also quite unexpectedly. It's never easy, but it happening at Christmas just makes it worse.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Charlie Pete, Dec 21 7:34 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Therapy dog/ Apartments opinion?

Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Fri Dec 19, '14 1:35pm PST 
Jazz,

I no longer work, but I did for a time with my service dog until my disability increased to the point that I was unable to continue. During the time that I had a service dog, but still lived a pretty normal life (only because of my service time), I had A LOT of problems with people, family and co workers questioning my disability because I don't look sick, I still worked, I still did a lot of stuff that normies do. I was also very stubborn at first and refused to use my handicapped parking placard for several months after my doctor made me get it.

In one way, men are a lot like dogs, they don't show their weaknesses, they won't ask for help, they won't accept help, they don't want to be seen as weak, so it would be highly possible for neighbors and even family to not know there was a disability involved. I will tell you the one of the biggest problems people with invisible disabilities face is others doubting us because our disability is invisible.
[notify]
» There has since been -1 posts. Last posting by Brycone , Dec 21 3:25 pm

Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Thu Dec 18, '14 9:18pm PST 
Jazz, Do you need me to name all the disabilities where a person could still do those things? Any of a number of psychiatric disabilities, diabetes, Dysautonomia, epilepsy, RA, and the list continues.

Not all disabilities require a handicapped parking tag, and often men won't get one even if they need it.

So, where did you get your MD, and when did you become his doctor to know his medical conditions.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Brycone , Dec 21 3:25 pm

Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Thu Dec 18, '14 5:33pm PST 
Quote from Buddy, "Just trying to own a pit bull where i am not supposed to."....That says its all.

Jazz...What exactly does "disabled" look like? What does "disabled" sound like? My neighbors wouldn't know I was disabled unless I told them. Not all disabilities are visible. I appear to be a healthy person 1/2 my age, but I am far from it.

If either of you had any idea what it is like to be disabled and have a service dog, and the challenges that we face because of what abled bodied people do, THIS thread wouldn't happen. I'm not a bully. I just speak the truth. The fact that you can't handle it is your problem, not mine.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Brycone , Dec 21 3:25 pm

Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Thu Dec 18, '14 1:46pm PST 
Also, Housing isn't covered under the ADA unless it is government housing. Housing is under the FHA (Fair Housing Act). Under the FHA, you can be required to present a letter from your doctor confirming disability and need for a service dog or ESA.

There is no legally recognized certification in the US. All of the "certification" or "registration" sites are scams.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Brycone , Dec 21 3:25 pm

Senior Dogs > arthritis any helpful tips?

Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Thu Dec 18, '14 1:40pm PST 
Adequan! It is seriously an amazing medication for arthritis. It's an injection that is done twice a week for 4 weeks, and then between once a week and once a month depending on the dog's need, from there. You need a script for it, but you can order it online. We order it from Valley Vet.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Reuben, Jan 11 6:55 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Some confusion over rights of ESA vs SD
Harley, SD,- CGC, TDI

Super Service- Boy!

Barked: Thu Dec 18, '14 1:29pm PST 
The ADA did not change anything involving ESAs with the Final Rule. The clarified it. A dog has ALWAYS had to be task trained to be covered under the ADA.

If the dog is trained to perform tasks to mitigate a psychiatric disability, the dog is a service dog, and is covered under the ADA. If the dog is not trained to mitigate tasks but helps a person with a psychiatric disability, it is an ESA, and is not covered under the ADA, but is covered under the ACAA and FHA.

The ADA has NEVER had a color code for vests. There are more than one unofficial ones. The only "legal" one is that some states have it written that hearing dogs have to wear blaze orange. That only has to be followed if you want state protection if you are in a state with that rule.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Aug 6 5:18 am

(Page 1 of 687: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.