Postings by Sassy's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 988: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Recipe cookbook
Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Sun Oct 12, '14 11:09am PST 
Ginger ate cooked food all summer long.

5 pound chicken, cooked until done and boned. Meat chopped and mixed with cooking liquid. Skin used if dog is skinny, removed if dog doesn't need it.

Bones of chicken plus some water placed in crock pot and put into the garage to cook until a fork could be put through the long bones. Bones and cooking liquid processed into a thick smooth gravy. Usually there will be a few bits that won't break up, remove them!

5 pounds of pork shoulder cooked until done and chopped, again leave fat on for skinny dogs and take away much of it for chubby ones.
5 pounds of 85% lean ground beef cooked until done.
5 pounds of assorted veggies cooked and pureed. If you find that isn't enough bulk then you can always add more as you go through the prepared food.
1 pound of beef liver cooked and chopped.

Mix all ingredients together in a really big bowl or tub and pack in 2 day sized rations. Ginger got 4 ounces a day so packed up into 8-9 ounce foil packs.

I probably could have mixed this in before packing up but didn't. I probably ought to have added taurine in but I didn't. You can add in a B complex before serving if your dog would take it. That yeast is an excellent source of B vitamins as well.
Per 2 days of food.
1 multimineral tablet
Bit of zinc supplement [trying for 15mg]
5 grams of ground brazilnut for more selenium
This amount works for my dogs on perpetual diets, probably need less if your dog gets more food a day.

Once a week she also gets a vitamin E capsule and a fish oil capsule. I wish I could remember to use real fish but that never seems to happen so this works better for me. Larger dogs would need them more often of course.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Oct 12 11:09 am

Raw Food Diet > Non-raw foods compatible with raw diet
Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Sun Oct 12, '14 10:53am PST 
If you don't want to use rice you can do the same thing with pureed veggies. There are some very expensive dried meat/bone/organ products out there you could use too like Ziwi Peak and Real Meat.

Why do you need to leave food out for the dog?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kitty, Today 4:20 pm

Raw Food Diet > raw food diet causing my dog high kidney BUN levels?

Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Fri Jul 25, '14 7:05pm PST 
Hi, I would be worried too! The creatinine is fine though and the high BUN can 'just' indicate extreme dehydration though. Check urine concentration as well. Take a sample of first urine of the day to the vet. If the urine is well concentrated then the kidneys may be just fine. If the urine is dilute then the kidneys are dumping water in an effort to reduce irritating toxins and the dog will be chronically dehydrated.

How much water is your guy taking in daily? Ginger never seems to drink water so she gets soup for all her meals and am hoping that is keeping her sufficiently hydrated. Dogs that pant or are stressed at the vet can get dehydrated very quickly too. I haven't ever checked to see how much Ginger should be drinking daily, I know 42 pound Sassy needed just about a quart a day. Dividing that might mean Ginger ought to be getting about 1.5 cups of water a day. Yup, here is that site, c/t and take out any hidden spaces in the address. http://www.mycockerspaniel.com/h2o.htm

This diet is low in a few minerals and vitamins. For Ginger I would need to double the amount of calcium added and also add in some phosphorus but I couldn't be sure that is right for your smaller dog who may be eating more/less calories per pound of dog. Ginger is 14 pounds and needs about 500mg of calcium and 400mg of phosphorus in about 200 calories and 15 grams of protein, 23 grams more acceptable. She wouldn't get enough zinc, iron, copper, selenium, manganese, thiamine, panothenic acid, vitamin E and even B12 which is easy to come by in a raw diet. She would be getting a lot of protein, 30 grams which is nice.

Using beef liver and more beef than chicken would be a big help to making this diet better. Beef is far richer in minerals and vitamins than chicken, even chicken liver.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Aug 2 8:36 pm

Raw Food Diet > raw VS home cooked? interested in learning

Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Thu Jul 17, '14 8:04pm PST 
Raw is less wasteful, cheaper and much easier. On raw the dog gets to eat zero carbs and chew on bones to naturally keep teeth clean and possibly sugar levels more stable. It is low in ingredients so perfect for allergy prone dogs.

Ginger is currently eating cooked food. I had to cook up a whole chicken and bone it, cook up pork and chop those meats, cook up hamburger and rice and mix together along with a small amount of liver and add in a calcium source, some bits of this and that to balance the diet. Then I had to go back to the original amount of raw ingredients to figure out how many meals that would be and divide accordingly so I won't over/under feed her pack up in 2 day packets and freeze. On raw I give her boneless red meat and every 2-4 days she gets a bit of raw bony meat plus organ along with the same supplements I have to give her with a cooked diet minus the calcium of course. She loves it all but sure has more enjoyment from the raw.

Never heard that dogs get snappy if taken off raw, neither Ginger or Max behaved any differently. Many dogs get possessive of raw bits so practicing trading is a great idea. Many people only find out their dogs can be possessive when some delicious raw bony thing is given, even rawhides, bully sticks don't have the same value.

Max never ever had any parasites from raw feeding or fleas or ticks or contaminated water, Sassy once got a tapeworm from eating a flea. Raw meat from the store is very safe. I have always cooked raw meat and it is very easy to keep juices contained and the kitchen clean, lots of water and soap.

A great primer on raw feeding is here.
http://www.chanceslittlewebsite.com/prey-model-raw.html

Do read through dogaware.com's extensive pages on feeding dogs.

Whatever you decide to feed is fine. It is nice to have a couple months of cooked food ready in the freezer ready to plop into the bowl after 3 hours of work and many messy pans, it is nice to watch Ginger chowing down on a nice chicken wing. I know I will never willingly go back to commercial food but either cooked or raw or a combination of the two is fine and a personal choice.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Jul 17 8:04 pm

Dog Health > My dog has been puking blood for MONTHS... help, anyone?

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Jun 17, '14 8:18am PST 
This is the study often referenced.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23683013
And this is Mary Strauss's article in WDJ about it.
http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/16_9/features/dishing-on-d iets_20814-1.html
This page lists some problems that can happen if a diet is deficient.
http://www.embracepetinsurance.com/pet-care/nutritional- problems-with-home-prepared-pet-diets

Also the body has tremendous systems to recycle nutrients plus the mineral vitamin powder put into commercial foods isn't as good for anybody as getting those minerals and vitamins right in fresh food. No study has been done to see if the supposedly low 50% of NRC required zinc in those home prepared diets is fine after all. It just looks low on paper.

Plenty of people are making good quality diets for dogs these days. There are good books on how to do so and even if you don't want to put down $300 to buy the actual NRC 2006 book you can find the old 1986 NRC numbers online which are what most commercial foods are based on in the first place. Or even make up a food from AAFCO guidelines!

I agree, likely the gut is 'just' really irritated at this point in time. Scoping would probably be the best thing to do. As far as the cost, you have put out that much money already with no good results. Things seem to be getting worse and changing I wouldn't mess around with internet speculation.

*I* do wish you could get a vet to test for pylori though. Seems to be a huge resistance in the medical community to accept that bacteria cause ulcers for some reason when studies continue to show it causes the vast majority of them.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Obi, Jun 19 10:05 pm

Dog Health > Any suggestions for how to get dehydrated dog to drink?
Maxwell

Barked: Sat Jun 14, '14 11:25am PST 
Sassy actually had trouble drinking fast enough as she aged but for some reason had no problems drinking a lot of water at meal times. I roughly gauged her water requirement and just added that water to her meals. She was 42 pounds or so and needed a quart a day so she got enough water added to her cooked food to add up to about a quart a day.

Try it, you don't need to float the kibble right away. Add more as long as she will eat it.

Easier than spiking water for sure.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Jun 14 11:25 am

Dog Health > My dog has been puking blood for MONTHS... help, anyone?

Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Sat Jun 14, '14 11:19am PST 
Dogs need the same essential nutrients humans do in nearly the same proportions but they need more concentrated nutrition. I put Max's requirements into nutritiondata.com's My Preferences which lists standard adult human requirements and they are nearly the same across the board. Max needed only 600 calories a day but needed as much of most of the essential nutrients as an adult human. If you are feeding mostly meat and that mineral supplement then likely more calcium is all that is needed. Egg shell is easy, add 1/2 measuring teaspoon of powdered egg shell per pound of food.

I seriously doubt the lack of some calcium is causing this and I doubt prescription dog food or any good quality kibble/canned food will solve the bleeding issue. Poor quality home made diets will cause arthritis, poor skeletal growth in puppies, poor skin quality and such but this is far beyond that! The diet as posted is not poor quality if it is at least half meat.

I hope you can get the dog tested for the pylori bacteria, it is the cause, it can be treated and this goes away. No personal experience with a perforated ulcer but seems to me the problem would be a whole lot more severe than bleeding every so often. Sure would be cheaper to test for the bacteria than go straight to scoping the dog, hope it doesn't come to that.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Obi, Jun 19 10:05 pm

Raw Food Diet > Can I still feed raw and make it low purine?

Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Tue May 27, '14 1:06pm PST 
Check out what Dalmatian owners that feed raw do. Chicken, fish, no organs and little red meat. Then they use a lot of veggies to balance the diet. It works fine.

My dogs get a bit of a multimineral supplement to balance the diet and I probably would enter the diet into nutritiondata.com and figure out what else needs to be added to balance the diet rather than just use the chicken and veggies but that is just me.

Definitely change the diet though, don't continue with the stuff you are using now.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ginger, May 27 1:06 pm

Raw Food Diet > First post.. am I feeding right?

Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Sun May 18, '14 2:00pm PST 
A split leg quarter would be either the drumstick or the thigh?

One feeds a pup as if it were an adult but split the food into more meals. If your GD might be a 150 pound adult [guessing here] one might start out with 3 pounds of food a day. Is that about the weight you are offering? If pup doesn't want it all it is fine but offer that amount.

Usually one leaves organs for last but if she is doing okay with liver then that is fine. One feeds 1/2 the 10% of the diet in liver though. That would be .3 pound of organ or .15 pound of liver a day and .15 pounds is 2.4 ounces. Is that about the weight of liver you are offering? More is not better!

I'd feed more chicken quarters rather than the necks especially if she is doing a good job digesting the leg bones and keep up the liver if it is working for her but as a start this is great.

If you haven't been feeding up to 3 pounds or have been feeding more liver than is the rule change slowly. She is doing fine, don't want to upset her gut!

And after a couple days of good quality digestion move on. Give a bite of pork/turkey/beef/lamb for a bite of chicken first day, two the next and so on as long as the new protein is okay with her gut. Pups can adjust really fast but always watch the poop!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ginger, May 18 2:00 pm

Raw Food Diet > Presley is regurgitating (green Bile?)
Maxwell

Barked: Fri May 16, '14 4:39pm PST 
When does this happen and how is he fed?

Two ideas for you here.

#1 bile vomit.
Max was a frequent bile vomit offender on kibble and we treated it by giving him a bedtime cookie because he vomited in the early morning. On raw he didn't have any trouble eating once a day or even gorge then small meals for several days following. There really is something wrong with him, doubt it is fixable though. Now he is 14 years old had to stop feeding him raw as he would keep us up all night with horrible tummy aches. Feeding cooked helped but only feeding 3x a day is keeping tummy aches away. For now, poor old dog.

If he is waking you up early in the morning when he is fed early evening then a bedtime snack is likely to help.

#2 indigestible object
Are you sure nothing is coming up in the vomit? Max cannot digest cooked cartilage. A few days after he gets some up it comes. Lucky for me I could easily see the offending cartilage and recognized the problem. It isn't much either, the cartilage cap from fried chicken was the culprit once. Since he doesn't get any now this hasn't happened again.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, May 16 4:39 pm

(Page 1 of 988: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.