Postings by Sassy's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 993: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > balanced recipe? new to this
Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Mon Mar 2, '15 8:44am PST 
Just canned oysters. My local GS has several brands even.

Ginger wasn't thrilled about kidney. She loved the smell and rolled in it for a couple days, then she mouthed it and finally ate it. I was just giving her a tiny bit and Max cleaned it up so it wasn't wasted anyway.

Flaxseed bothered Sassy and I have avoided it since but it is good for some dogs. Sardines good, even better if you can find unsalted ones but those usually cost the earth. You can use salmon or mackerel as well.

Okay, I will post a recipe that works out to be more balanced to see what you think.
This one is pretty good. Add water to cook the oats plus that little bit of sardine and oysters is a good idea. Maybe it would be even better with ground beef.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/recipe/3096148/2
Yup, it's better for Ginger except too many calories, I'd have to use leaner meat.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/recipe/3275253/2

I'll work on my pressure cooked chicken recipe as right now it needs minerals added. One puts the whole bird into a pot and cooks until meat is done. Bone it, reserve meat and broth for later, return bones to pot and add fresh water and cook long and slow. Bones will be soft enough to pierce with a fork inside 24 hours. Put the bones and cooking liquid through a food processor or blender until a smooth gravy/paste and mix with the meats. Pretty nifty. It takes equal amounts of beef, pork and chicken and it lasted Ginger for about 3 months.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/recipe/1673345/2
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Moose, Today 10:17 am

Raw Food Diet > Starting a puppy on raw, hasn't been going well?
Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Sun Mar 1, '15 9:26am PST 
Mostly agree with Mulder but I would even go further and only offer ground chicken and bone for a few days until his infant gut recovers from too much variety too soon. You could try breast quarters smashed up well and cut to meal size though.

Liver is high purine. Raw fed Dals usually get fed chicken, dairy and veggies with little or no liver. I'd be looking for a good forum with raw fed Dals on it. Nearly all Dals have that defect but not all Dals form crystals or stones. You are being really proactive, something else to do might be have his urine checked for crystals regularly to catch a problem before it starts and do regular pH checks of his urine as it is a particular pH that allows crystallization to occur. There is a DNA test but unless your pup is of the new sort that was crossed with pointers there probably isn't any reason to believe he wouldn't have that defect.

Keep his system really hydrated, that helps with any sort of kidney problem. If you decide to go with kibble then add an equivalent amount of water so he is forced to drink quite a bit of water as he eats. I put water in Ginger's raw food so she drinks as well. Some dogs don't have as easy a time drinking enough water for some reason and she and Sassy are a couple that don't/didn't drink enough for good health.
[notify]
» There has since been -1 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Sun 9:26 am

Raw Food Diet > Reducing Meal Sizes

Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Fri Feb 27, '15 12:22pm PST 
I did! A couple of other long time raw fed dogsters have found the same thing. First gorges didn't settle then big bones were not tolerated and finally ground stuff upset him. Max ate pressure cooked pureed chicken bone mixed with chicken meat-skin/pork/hamburger and some rice his last year and was happy as a clam. Even pureed veggies weren't as well tolerated as rice. It definitely was raw that bothered him, not the fat or the protein, I tried every which way I could think up.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Rexy, Fri 11:22 pm

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > The Westie Diet...

Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Fri Feb 27, '15 12:18pm PST 
A lot of work but it sure paid off, good job.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Fri 12:18 pm

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > balanced recipe? new to this

Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Fri Feb 27, '15 12:17pm PST 
A lot of food! This would feed little Ginger for 100 days.

Dogs may not be obligate carnivores like cats but they do need a lot of meat. Max weighed 35 pounds and needed as much of a large number of essential nutrients as an adult human packed into 600 calories a day. You have the calcium covered but nearly every other essential nutrient is extremely low for 14 pound Ginger's needs. There isn't even enough phosphorus or protein for her.

There is about 11.5 pounds of meaty stuff and about 15 pounds of plant food not even counting the water added to hydrate the oats and bran which adds 4 pounds. Half meaty stuff is a MINIMUM for dog food!

I'd start cutting the plant foods in half and adding in that beef liver, just about a pound of it. I'd use bone meal for calcium and phosphorus at a rate that provides 1000mg calcium per 1000 calories. I'd use pureed greens in place of the mixed veggies for vitamin K. You can double the NoSalt if it provides 550mg per 1/4 tsp, 1/2tsp if it is more than that. I'd add in 7 ounces of oysters for zinc and lots of other minerals. I'd add 4 ounces of ground brazilnut for selenium. Adding 3/4 cup of wheat germ oil would bring E up to snuff but I just use a supplement. Not sure mixed, baked then frozen oil would hold the E or not or if that adds up to more calories my dog doesn't need.

If you have lots of this nice smelling stuff then make up another meatloaf with just meat, liver, egg and these supplements and substitute maybe 1 pound of the old recipe for 1 pound of that.

It is still far from a perfect diet as it is still low in quite a number of essential nutrients but it provides 50% and above rather than 25% as you are feeding now. Are there any ingredients in there special for a diet for a dog with this type of cancer? That is why I didn't just toss and go with something I know works better.

Garlic is only needed for flavor, it contains a substance that causes anemia in dogs if fed in really huge amounts which this isn't. I'd cut back on it to the point it just makes the food smell good if you need to use it especially with the wonderful smell of liver in the food!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Moose, Today 10:17 am

Raw Food Diet > New to Raw
Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Wed Feb 25, '15 6:38pm PST 
The recipe is meat with some bone and a couple types of organ. Refine that by feeding more red meat than poultry and you are about there. Starting out amount is 2% of the dog's ideal weight, 16 ounces for a 50 pound dog.

What is your dog allergic to?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Wed 6:38 pm

Raw Food Diet > Reducing Meal Sizes

Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Wed Feb 25, '15 6:35pm PST 
I found that at 1.5% Max only got about 50% of the zinc he needed so I supplemented that otherwise his diet was the same as it would be fed 2%. Mostly I fed lean stuff so fewer calories - cut most of easy to remove fat from the edge of pork shoulder, pulled off some of chicken skin, fed round steak rather than chuck and so on.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Rexy, Fri 11:22 pm

Raw Food Diet > Help with balancing

Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Fri Feb 6, '15 6:12pm PST 
Ginger gets a fish oil and vitamin E gel cap twice a week. Max probably got both every other day. If you are good about giving enough sardines then just dose some vitamin E. Medium sized Max required 10mg of E a day, Ginger 4mg and I use the dogaware suggestion for the fish oil. Ginger chews the caps up like they are candy but I had to either pill Max or squirt the oil into his food.

*I* should be taking those as well! I put my diet into ND and of course it comes up really short on both omega3 and vitaminE.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Feb 6 6:12 pm

Raw Food Diet > Help with balancing

Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Thu Feb 5, '15 2:35pm PST 
So far I have used Solaray mega mm, Twin Lab mm and Life Minerals. Look for quite a lot of magnesium and manganese, really that is all I want but haven't been able to find a supplement with just those two. They also have about 1/4 requirement of most of the other main minerals besides potassium, calcium/phosphorus/zinc/iron/copper and some have more or less selenium.

I use some zinc as my dogs need to be on a diet. I use a little ground brazilnut for selenium, Max got about 5grams a couple times a week and Ginger gets 2 grams mixed with the minerals and her ground stuff a couple times a week.

I'd pulse these supplements to see if they help any of your dogs. Max was so stressed out by life I could easily tell he was in better shape getting the extras. I haven't pulsed Ginger, she probably would be fine without them. Feed for a couple months then drop them for a month to see. You may see a need for all of the dogs to get something and only a couple dogs need others. Course it is easier if all the dogs get the same thing!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Ginger, Feb 6 6:12 pm

Raw Food Diet > Where do you order from?
Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Thu Feb 5, '15 2:20pm PST 
A lot of Ginger's food comes from Creston Valley Meats. A truck drives a route up and down the state every couple weeks. We meet the truck at freeway offramps and the delivery charge is very low. I was thrilled to finally get a freezer so I could buy raw food from this place.

There are some places listed here. http://dogaware.com/diet/rawfoods.html
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Nico, Feb 16 6:52 am

(Page 1 of 993: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.