Postings by Kodie's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 26: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Choosing the Right Dog > Going from two to three dogs, thoughts and experiences?
Toby

Barked: Wed Oct 2, '13 4:38pm PST 
Tyler - I know what you mean, none of my family are really dog people. They love the two we have because they don't shed and are well behaved, but they tend to not like other dogs out there.

I am definitely worried about the walking aspect, as the third would be a large breed dog...likely a berner or a golden. However, I also think that might be wishful thinking on my part as our standard poodle is showing he now doesn't like long walks unless it is the perfect 50 - 60 degree temperature outside. So, walking them separately wouldn't be too big of an issue.

As pointed out, one hurdle would be making sure that our dogs personality meshes with a new dog. Hopefully we'd be alright with a ton of exercise and careful selection of the third dog. Our standard poodle can be a grumpy old guy at times, and takes him a few intros before he realizes other dogs are nice, but eventually he works it out and will play. The little guy isn't too picky. He prefers them his size so hopefully a puppy would give him that opportunity to bond with the newcomer before it grows bigger than he is.

If we are going purebred breeder, is it better to start with an smaller puppy (8-10 weeks) or an older puppy, maybe 4-5 months? A breeder we've kept an eye on has a couple older puppies. My instinct was towards a younger puppy, but maybe I am wrong on that.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Trig, Oct 3 4:55 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Going from two to three dogs, thoughts and experiences?
Toby

Barked: Wed Oct 2, '13 1:22pm PST 
I posted a while back about what type of breed would match my fiancé's and I's lifestyle, and now we are actually contemplating whether adding a third dog is something we want to take a more serious step towards.

However, people and def. my family think that adding a third dog to our home would be crazy. They are really negative about it, and since I don't know anyone personally who has three dogs I am hoping the Dogster community can give me their experiences. If you have three, do you ever regret it? What's been easier or more difficult then you imagined? If it works well in your home, what do you attribute that to? Likewise, if you have two what has stopped you from taking the leap to three?

Our situation is that our current dogs are a standard poodle who is 11.5, and a bichon who will be ten in February. I had both of these dog before my fiancé and I ever met, and while he loves them to pieces (and has actually grown fond of poodles), they wouldn't have been his first choice of breed. The boys are now getting on in age and while still active and playful, they can't do really long walks anymore, hiking, or hardcore activity. They are well behaved, well socialized and really easy...which of course is a downside to adding a puppy.

We bought our own single family house in the last few months with a huge back yard, and the house has hardwood floors so I feel we are finally in a permanent location where puppy raising wouldn't not only be possible, but certainly easier than the apartments/townhomes that I've lived in with out other dogs.

So, I guess I am mulling over whether three dogs is generally a crazy idea or very doable.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Trig, Oct 3 4:55 pm

Dog Health > Dental for a 12yo?

Toby

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 5:40pm PST 
Just to add weight, my previous maltipoo had dentals up till 14 or 15. Blood work was done before putting her under, and she was a very healthy dog, but her teeth were never good. Because of all the secondary effects of bad teeth, that were mentioned, we always did the dentals. Cassie never had a problem with the anesthesia, but talk to your vet.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Ikan, Feb 6 4:31 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Large Breed Suggestions

Toby

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 6:01am PST 
Well unfortunately I think the Clumbers are out. I am not a neat freak but drool on walls is just out of my comfort zone. A little bit of a shame because they do seem like such great dogs, but I know myself well enough to say that drool everywhere would stress me.

Thank you for differentiating the Berners and the golden, they are definitely different dogs. I think in the end we could live happily will either, and we will just have to see what Breeders we come across that spark our interest. I've been busy the last 24 hours dealing with Kodie's health issues, so I think health more than anything will drive us toward a breed in the end. Time will tell what we end up with!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Delta, Sep 10 1:46 pm

Toby

Barked: Sat Jan 26, '13 6:21am PST 
Thank you Bosley, you certainly summed up the differences perfectly. I think I needed that. I think we'll end up going back and forth a bit between the Berners and the goldens, but I am certainly leaning towards a Berner.

SO is very concerned that we would spend a couple years to train, and have a lovely adult only to lose them at such a young age. However, life happens and I don't think you ever know what will happen for certain.

I really do like the aloof aspect of the Berner. SO travels quite a bit for work, and I just would feel better with a more massive dog who doesn't treat every single person as his new best friend. It's more of a plus to have an first impression aloof dog the more I think about it.

The water and the non retrieval are negatives though. Hmm. I imagine they still play with toys though.

I think Clumbers are adorable! I know nothing about them, but that face just says it all. I will have to research them a bit. Thank you for the suggestion!
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Delta, Sep 10 1:46 pm

Toby

Barked: Fri Jan 25, '13 1:01pm PST 
Well its good to know we are on the right track with looking at goldens, labs, and berners. It was the direction my SO and I were thinking, so nice to know that others recommend them to us and aren't immediately reacting, "No Way!"

I haven't been able to come up with any other breeds that meet the criteria to the degree that those three dog. If there are any other thoughts please let me know.

Once it is down to berners, goldens and labs though besides looks it is a bit hard to differentiate in a big way. Health concerns are cancer in both all the breeds. I think berners may be a safer bet with finding a family friendly, kid proof dog....but its only by a small degree. Goldens and labs can probably tolerate heat and humidity. It is just so hard to compare them! We want a dog with a sense of humor too, and an entertainer, which I think all three of these breeds are to some degree. So hard to find huge differences, or maybe they are staring me in the face and I'm not seeing them?
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Delta, Sep 10 1:46 pm

Toby

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 6:11pm PST 
Selli- I want your golden's temperament and love of toys! I just hate that I can't be guaranteed to get that! I have that with Kodie even though he isn't a retriever....though poodles were bred to retriever ducks. He loves, loves, loves toys, but the fun is in the retrieval so he never hoards, growls at other dogs, plays keep away, or anything like that, because he wants to give it me. If we don't want to play he starts tossing toys and balls at us with a flick of his head or he starts going through every toy in his toy box to entice us to throw it. However, I once saw a golden be returned to our shelter twice once for guarding toys, and the next time was guarding a tissue......yes, a tissue. That he then hoarded under a table and snapped at the family over. I just dread getting a puppy that despite socialization grows up to do this sort of thing.

As for Berners, I suppose knowing the health risks is the first step towards being proactive. One question i do have about dogs that large, can they jump into SUV's? I was thinking about our jeep and mastiff's I have seen going up ramps. Are they able to jumps up or are they too heavy? Maybe a stupid question, but I don't want to be trying to lift 125lbs of dog!
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by Delta, Sep 10 1:46 pm

Dog Health > Bruising on Stomach

Kodie

U have no toy to- throw? Ill get- you one!

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 6:00pm PST 
Well we made progress on some things during Kodie's appointment.

We were having issues, or rather concerns, with Kodie's constant panting and inability to settle down. The vet remarked that those were side affects to the steroids he is on, as is muscle wasting. She noticed muscle wasting in Kodie's hind end, which is very evident. So, his medication for inflammatory bowel disease has been significantly dropped down. Hopefully that will solve the those concerns!

Next was the bruise. She said it is concerning because when Kodie came in for bloat his platelet levels were very, very low. So low that the first vet told me operating at that time was out of the question and Kodie would bleed out. Well the levels bounced back the next day. So, something could be up with the platelet levels again. We decided to wait on drawing blood to see if the bruise heals on its own. If it isn't better in the next few days then we will go back and run more blood.

Additionally I now have a full supply of extra strength gas-x for those times when Kodie is looking like he might be bloating again. Up until now I've been using pepcid for the couple of times that I thought we might be going into full bloat again.

So we are taking it day by day! Today was a good day for Kodie, which was very nice to see!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Jan 25 5:47 pm

Toby

Barked: Thu Jan 24, '13 5:33am PST 
Bryce: I hadn't thought of collies, but they are def. an option worth looking into. Do they have any major health concerns?

Savannah: I like the idea of a golden retriever, there are just some concerns that always crop up with them. First is definitely the health issues. Hips and cancer just seem to be the norm in the breed these days. Additionally, I've gotten very concerned about finding a stable temperament amongst a golden litter. Before grad school I worked in animal shelters and the amount of goldens that came in with food/object aggression or dog aggression was, well, I was shocked at the amount. Does it depend on the breeding or are these issues becoming more common in even the well bred goldens?

Sonja: I love the berners. Interesting to know that people do have success keeping them in warmer climates. Berners are also a concern for cancer, it seems almost a given in that breed. Well that and they don't live as long as a lot of other breeds. I would love to do therapy work if possible, so good to know they can be trained for that. Any more cons to the Berners that you can think of?
[notify]
» There has since been 25 posts. Last posting by Delta, Sep 10 1:46 pm

Dog Health > Bruising on Stomach
Kodie

U have no toy to- throw? Ill get- you one!

Barked: Wed Jan 23, '13 5:09pm PST 
Thanks for the support, and I'll def update.

When I picked the boys up from grooming I was surprised to see Kodie in a short hair cut. He really had a lot of hair on him going in! I wasn't so surprised at the hair but as soon as I saw him my first thought was, oh no, he has lost weight! I just hadn't noticed it because of the thick hair! I put him on the scale and the vet checked his records to find that he has lost five pounds in the last few months. And he was thin to begin with. He's always been very fickle about food, but been able to maintain a steady weight.

Oye, just another thing to deal with tomorrow at the internalist appointment.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Jan 25 5:47 pm

(Page 1 of 26: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.