Postings by Griffin- In Loving Memory's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  

Behavior & Training > New rescue puppy-need advice please
Gracie Lou

Half dachsie,- all moxie!

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 1:44pm PST 
He's getting about a mile and a half walk every day along with lots of fetch exercise in the evening when I'm home. He's content to run after a rope toy for quite a while. He crashes hard around 9pm when the other two do and sleeps soundly through the night with no wake ups or stirring so I'm hoping he's getting enough exercise. It's all I'm physically able to do and definitely won't be able to afford a dog walker on top of the doggy daycare frown I'm hoping once he's fixed and can spend his days at my friend's house playing with her dogs he'll be a lot more tuckered out at home. He would be now but Gracie and Merlin still think he's a horse and don't want anything to do with him. I play with him rather than them.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Opheila, Jan 21 2:45 pm

Gracie Lou

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 1:31pm PST 
Yes we're sure he's a stray, or if not, we have no way to find his family. He is not microchipped, he's not been reported on any of the lost dog lists that my county maintains, nor is he listed in any of the online resources for my area. My vet says that the break to his hip happened at least a month ago because it's healed completely. In that case either he's been on his own at least that long or someone who was supposed to be caring for him aallowed it to go untreated.

He is being crate trained, but I will not leave him in a crate 10 hours a day, which is how long I'm gone.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Jan 21 2:45 pm

Gracie Lou

Barked: Mon Jan 21, '13 12:12pm PST 
Hi there. My best friend rescued a puppy from off the street last week and he has ended up at my house. The vet thinks he is a pit bull/boxer mix. He's about 10 months old, hasn't been eating well so is very skinny and has experienced some trauma that broke his left hip. The hip healed on it's own while he was on the street, and even though he limps on it a little, it doesn't hurt him or keep him from using that leg. He is extremely sweet, loves other dogs and wants nothing more than to play and cuddle with my dogs. However, they aren't crazy about him yet and are both a lot smaller and older than him. He's very playful and puppy-ish and can't be left alone for any amount of time. Right now I'm paying the lady who rescued him to puppy sit during the day, but that's $50 a week I wasn't counting on and am wondering for how long I'm likely to need a puppy sitter.

He'll be neutered this coming Friday, is heart worm negative and was given a pill today to kill the tapeworms that have surfaced. Right now he's being watched at my house but after he's fixed, he'll go to her house during the day where he can play with her dog whom he befriended the day she rescued him. He also really likes her cats but hasn't had any interaction with mine so far because they're terrified of him.

I guess I'm just looking for some confirmation that eventually he'll be able to chill out at home during the day with my dogs. He will be going to training asap as I know that he needs a lot of firm, loving disciplne. Never dealt with these breeds before and need to make a decision if I'm going to keep him or try to get him into a rescue foster situation.

Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Jan 21 2:45 pm

Raw Food Diet > Part time raw?

Gracie Lou

Barked: Thu May 24, '12 2:14pm PST 
I am very interested in improving my dogs' diet. When Griffin was alive, I had to feed prescription food, Science Diet ZD Ultra Allergen free. I hated the food because of the fillers, etx, but it was all he could have. To make my life easier, they all ate it. Prior to that, they had been on Taste of the Wild. Now that Griffin is gone, I am once again faced with food decisions. I am hesitant to go back to ToTW because it seems like they're always involved in pet food recalls. I am currently trying to determine what the best kibble is that I can afford.

I have been interested in raw feeding since I first learned about it. It makes a lot of sense to me. However, I don't know enough about it to jump in with both feet and feed them raw exclusively. I would like to add some raw elements to their diet while I get a feel for it. Gracie is a 23 pound doxiepoo and Merlin is a 13 pound chihuahua/corgi (chigi). Does anyone have recommendations on what sort of raw meat I should give dogs this size (also economical cuts would be appreciated)? I think I would probably start off with 2 to 3 portions of raw a week.

Thanks for the input!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Addie CL1 CL2 CL3 CL4 OAJ, May 28 8:02 am

Dog Health > Natural anti anxiety medications

Merlin

I will protect- you Mom!

Barked: Tue May 15, '12 3:05pm PST 
Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. I am not receiving notifications when others have posted to my topic for some reason.

I have not tried making herbal teas for Merlin, though that would certainly be worth a try! As for making sure he knows he's part of the pack, believe me, he's one loved furkid. He might still have some left over fear issues, but the longer I have him the more I see him relax and let himself be loved and expect a loving response. I have to remind myself that I've just now had him for half his life. I have no idea what he went through before, but I think his experiences left him very frightened of noises, strangers, etx. We're both a work in progress! wink
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Duke, May 15 6:33 pm

Merlin

I will protect- you Mom!

Barked: Tue May 8, '12 1:57pm PST 
Thanks for all the great suggestions! I have used the pheremone scent plug ins in the past for my cats, and I didn't see much benefit for them, but a collar might be a better option for Merlin.

My boyfriend has a larger, very friendly and laid back dog. He gets to go places with us (the lake, Petsmart, etx). I would love to be able to take Gracie and Merlin too. Gracie would probably handle those situations ok, but I don't want to leave Merlin home alone so they don't get to go many places.

Merlin's nerves cause him to bark every time water flows into the ice maker, every time the coffee pot beeper goes off, every time someone walks down the street in front of our house. He can't stand for a box to be brought in and sat down...and forget it if someone gives me a birthday balloon. That messes with him for days. He's come a long way...when I first got him (2008) he was about 3 1/2 and I couldn't reach for him without him peeing on himself. He no longer does that thankfully. Only in the last year has he gotten to where he likes to play with toys. I can now reach for one to take it away from him without him peeing (as long as I'm sure he's peed recently). I can at least take him in the car to the vet and he doesn't drool, he just shakes now. I want to give him the best quality of life he can have.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Duke, May 15 6:33 pm

Merlin

I will protect- you Mom!

Barked: Tue May 8, '12 8:09am PST 
Does anyone have suggestion on natural anti anxiety medications for Merlin? He is a chihuahua/corgi mix and has the nerves of the chihuahua and the prey drive of the corgi. He barks a lot, is easily startled, seems scared of any new item in the house and doesn't do well in the car. He has had training and we don't coddle him, but his anxiety hasn't lessened a lot in the years that I've had him. I am thinking of trying a natural herbal slight chill out medication for him. I don't want him to be a zombie dog, just take the edge off. Does anyone have any recommendations? I have a bottle of rescue remedy drops at home. I might give them a try.

Thanks everyone!
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Duke, May 15 6:33 pm

Dog Health > Wet gas/possible anal leakage

Griffin- In Loving- Memory

A smilin' Chiny- Chin Chin

Barked: Mon Jan 23, '12 2:53pm PST 
We saw the vet on Saturday and she advised me to give Griffin 1/2 a tablet of Metrodonizale twice a day for a week. It's what they give him when he has his bouts of diarrhea. She said she could feel a lot of gas in his gut and that was the cause. She cleaned his anal glands and they were full enough to need cleaning, but not impacted. She said that when a dog is allergic to protein and has IBD like Griffin, you are always "managing" the condition and there will be flare ups from time to time no matter what you do. His food is the Hills Science Diet Z/D and it doesn't have any grain in it.

He had two pretty good days this weekend, but this morning I woke up to some "leaky" gas poo on his pillow. Just glad to know he's ok and this will be a norm for him so I don't freak out everytime it happens.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Jan 24 4:12 am

Dog Health > Wet gas/possible anal leakage

Griffin- In Loving- Memory

A smilin' Chiny- Chin Chin

Barked: Thu Jan 19, '12 1:25pm PST 
Let me start this by saying I am taking Griffin to the vet on Saturday morning. He has IBD and is allergic to protein. He eats Hills Science Diet Z/D formula and it has mostly resolved all of his gastrointestinal issues.

His poop is good now...he hasn't had diarrhea in almost a month (he got ahold of a few illicit items that fell on the kitchen floor during holiday baking), but he's had really bad gas. Like, clear the room and make your nose hairs curl bad. He's always been a gassy boy, but this is more frequent then normal. And, he's had some residue on his bottom. I can't tell if it's anal leakage or just really wet gas. His anal glands were supposedly cleaned when he was groomed last month. The residue doesn't have the smell of compacted anal glands, just regular old poop smell.

Griffin seems to feel good, he's rowdy and playful. You can really tell when he feels bad. I'm wondering if anyone has had this experience with their pups. He's had this off and on before, but I've never been able to pin down the cause. Guess I'll have the vet start with an anal expression and if they're not in too bad a shape, then ask her to examine him.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by MIKA&KAI, Jan 24 4:12 am

Grooming > Sticky sap from weeds???
Gracie Lou

Barked: Wed Aug 17, '11 10:46am PST 
Hi there fellow Dogsters....question about grooming. I walk my dogs almost every morning. During the summertime the areas around our neighborhood sidewalks are not kept up as they should be. We end up walking through weeds that are chest high to me. The dogs like to go through the deepest park and lick the dew off the grass, etx. I've noticed the last couple of times we've gone that they are covered in this sticky substance once we're done. It dries to the consistency of "way too much gel or mouse". We've all done it, we know how it feels. I can bathe them (sigh) but I'm just curious as to what it is and if it's ok for them to be dragging themselves through it. Merlin's coat isn't that big of a deal because his hair is short and silky. But Gracie, she has the wirehair dachshund fur and it ends up like resin in her coat.

Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Gracie Lou, Aug 17 10:46 am

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.