Postings by ♠ Ruger ♠'s Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 98: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Saint bernard having issues...
Brandywine- Tribute

In Loving- Memory, 10/95 - 01/08

Barked: Sun Mar 1, '09 8:54pm PST 
Loki, I had Brandywine from a pup. He was very leery of men. He loved my dad and was more my dad's dog than anyone's... he loved my uncle, but most other men it took him a very long time to warm up to. Usually Nannook led the way (Nannook was an excellent judge of character). Both dogs instantly took to my now-husband when they first met him, but that was an exception.

We had a professional trainer come for Brandywine. We tried just about everything and only partially got through to him. He was obsessed with food, to where we were never able to wean him off it. The second you asked something and weren't waving food in front of his face, he ignored you.

He was pretty afraid of almost everything. Not afraid like you couldn't trust him and he'd bite (often a dog that is scared will be the first to bite), just a coward. Plain and simple. He had no confidence in himself.

Like I said, we raised him from a ten week old pup, he came from a top notch breeder, he was 100% a part of our family, healthy, fed decent food, given a great life. He lived to be almost 13 years old.

But to the day he died, if someone got too much in his face, he'd get defensive, if someone petted him before he was ready, he got nervous, he still wouldn't listen without food, and he was still very weary of men.

I don't really have any advice to offer, outside of maybe try involving a behaviorist aside from your current trainer... and don't get frustrated, they can tell when you are and it can intensify the problem.

Just wondering... are you a very confident person? Do certain people/personalities bother you? I know you said it's all sorts of men...

We think Payson had been abused, she's also very nervous around men, finally warmed up to my husband after almost two months, and if someone is walking behind us, she'll turn and growl at them. But heelers are totally different dogs, and Cheyenne who had never been abused was the same way.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Mar 3 7:31 am

Choosing the Right Dog > NOT for the first time dog owner
☆- Payson- ☽

Veni,- vidi,- velcro...

Barked: Sat Feb 28, '09 8:46am PST 
My first two dogs were a st. bernard and alaskan malamute (brandywine and nannook). My dad had owned a st. before, and I did ALL my homework on malamutes and even being just a kid managed to have a mal who was trustworthy off leash, was excellent around horses and livestock, and was just a wonderful dog. The st? Not so much...

I agree that if someone does their research and spends enough time around enough individuals of a certain breed (because we all know that dogs can differ so much on the individual level), but the one that gets me so often are ACD's.

People seem to not realize that ACD's are workaholics, and if not given a job they're destructive, ill tempered, unhappy pups. They need constant mental and physical stimulation.

I got Payson from a family (we're her fourth family) who couldn't handle her because she kept chasing and killing their chickens. They had a pack of dogs, who were cared for but were mainly left to their own defenses often, and she hadn't been worked with a day in her life. My husband raised working heelers on his cattle ranch, and it's not necessarily difficult to train a heeler to the appropriate time to herd and so on, but nobody even tried with her.
[notify]
» There has since been 45 posts. Last posting by Kyan, Mar 4 10:04 pm

Behavior & Training > Anyone have any suggestions?

♠- Ruger- ♠

Live to- Swim!!

Barked: Fri Feb 27, '09 11:20am PST 
Closing the curtains doesn't help, it actually makes him scratch more...

He doesn't damage anything, like I said it's just annoying. I put my daughter's sand box under the window, with the lid on it's tall enough he can sit on it and look in, but he still scratches.

Maybe I should get one of those outdoor rubbermaid bins... he'll probably get up on it but maybe it'll put him at a level where he can't scratch...
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by ♠ Ruger ♠, Feb 27 11:20 am

Behavior & Training > Anyone have any suggestions?

♠- Ruger- ♠

Live to- Swim!!

Barked: Fri Feb 27, '09 9:33am PST 
We have a single story home and Ruger likes to jump up and look in our bedroom window. He only does it in the morning, never when my husband gets up to go to work, but only about the time I get up. He will quietly jump up and peek in, and if I'm not moving, he'll go about his business.

However, if I"m awake and just laying in bed, he'll scratch at the window/screen and it makes a kinda horrible noise. He hasn't done any damage, but underneath our window the stucco (oh I do so hate stucco) is filthy. He'll also scratch at the stucco.

If my daughter is awake, I'll yell at him to get down (unless the window is open, in which case I just firmly tell him to get down) Problem is if she's asleep I have to get up, walk out to the sliding glass door, and open it, and by then he's laying in his dog house because he knows he's going to be in trouble.

I know that to either correct or reward a behavior, it's a matter of doing so just a second or two from when the behavior is carried out... he's a very agile dog and will climb/get over or on anything I put in front of the window.

How would you go about correcting a behavior like that? Like I said, he's not destroying anything, and he only does it when he knows I"m awake, it's just kinda annoying...
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by ♠ Ruger ♠, Feb 27 11:20 am

Behavior & Training > Animal Behavior College?

☆- Payson- ☽

Veni,- vidi,- velcro...

Barked: Thu Feb 26, '09 4:27pm PST 
Jet, she started the program back in 2005 and only did a year, but she enjoyed it very much... I can't remember exactly what she took... I mostly remember her working with Hyenas....
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by , Feb 28 9:50 am

Behavior & Training > At wits end... need to vent.
♠- Ruger- ♠

Live to- Swim!!

Barked: Thu Feb 26, '09 9:13am PST 
Ruger is actually really responsive to my husband... he walks perfectly on leash for him... on halloween he had several people asking if Ruger was a service dog or something because he'd walk perfectly in heel and then lay at my husband's feet... it's not a training/listening issue, it's a hyperness issue. We're gonna give it some time, we're practicing some calming exercises. My husband believes in one person dogs, and for that purpose stood away when I trained Ruger.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by ♠ Ruger ♠, Feb 26 9:13 am

Behavior & Training > Animal Behavior College?

☆- Payson- ☽

Veni,- vidi,- velcro...

Barked: Thu Feb 26, '09 9:09am PST 
My sister was attending Moore Park community college for their animal behavior program... it's a bit of a commute from San Diego... she was pretty happy with their program, the only reason she quit was to go up to Oregon and work with a wolf rescue/rehab center.
[notify]
» There has since been 25 posts. Last posting by , Feb 28 9:50 am

♠- Ruger- ♠

Live to- Swim!!

Barked: Wed Feb 25, '09 11:58am PST 
Thanks once more for the responses and support... I do not and have never crated a dog, and as far as company coming over when they get to the door I make Ruger sit and wait, which he does despite the shaking and tail wagging, and when they are OK with him I let him go say hi... he's pretty good about not jumping on people, but after a few minutes of meet and greet he goes outside. We'll try the click to calm method...

I'm glad Ruger isn't a compulsive fetch player... I promised my husband I wouldn't have another ball playing dog...

Thanks again so much everyone!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by ♠ Ruger ♠, Feb 26 9:13 am

♠- Ruger- ♠

Live to- Swim!!

Barked: Wed Feb 25, '09 7:20am PST 
Loki, I want to squish your jowls... I had a saint growing up and use to do that to him all the time.

I tried rewarding his calm behavior, but that makes him hyper... I think we're gonna try time and ignoring him... see if it helps.

Also a herding class is a good idea, thanks! We'll see if there's one around in the spring.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by ♠ Ruger ♠, Feb 26 9:13 am

♠- Ruger- ♠

Live to- Swim!!

Barked: Wed Feb 25, '09 7:04am PST 
Asher, we do agility... we don't compete yet, and only do a small course but now that he's a year we'll pick up the pace.

Donovan, we have not been to a vet in a little while, but last time we went, a few months ago, he had a clean bill of health.

I'm not giving up on Ruger, and my husband does respect his intelligence and appreciate him for that, he just gets frustrated at his uncontrollable energy. I do love Ruger and my husband very much, and I'm not ready to give up on Ruger... I'm betting that when he gets a bit older he'll settle some.

My husband butted heads with Cheyenne when she was younger, and she ended up being his dog by her choice.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by ♠ Ruger ♠, Feb 26 9:13 am

(Page 1 of 98: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.