Postings by Chandler's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 239: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Choosing the Right Dog > Aussie/English Shepherd mix?
Chandler

Code name:- Farmcollie

Barked: Sat Oct 5, '13 10:45am PST 
English Shepherd mix is also possible, although I think the black and tan line males tend to run larger than that. Where did you get him?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Farley, Oct 5 1:36 pm

Senior Dogs > One last journey
Chandler

Barked: Sat Oct 5, '13 10:35am PST 
So sorry. *hugs*
[notify]
» There has since been 71 posts. Last posting by Sabi, Feb 4 11:34 am

Behavior & Training > I just dont understand my dog sometimes.

Chandler

Barked: Sat Oct 5, '13 5:50am PST 
From appearance and some of the behavior described, I think he *could* be an English Shepherd or mix thereof. They bond strongly to their owners, and finding one that is not a social butterfly would not be unusual.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Chandler, Oct 5 5:50 am

Choosing the Right Dog > Alaskan Klee Kai Breeder

Chandler

Barked: Tue Jul 9, '13 3:15pm PST 
"My sister also says the breeder guarantee the health of the puppy and the adults (and puppies) are completely health tested, including their eyes, ear, hips and allergies."

One bit of advice. Unless you have a reason to trust the breeder implicitly, verify any health tests done on the parents. Ask for the link to their name in the OFA database or any other public database of health information. Ask for scans or copies of health certificates.

There's health testing...and then there's HEALTH TESTING, if you know what I mean. "But my vet looked her over and said she's fine" isn't good enough.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Mar 6 9:22 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Alaskan Klee Kai Breeder

Chandler

Barked: Mon Jul 8, '13 5:13pm PST 
Personally, the facts that they price their pups by color and seem to practically consider longcoat Siberians a totally different breed raises a red flag for me.

I also see absolutely no Klee Kai listed as being owned by them on their website, so I have to wonder how many dogs they really have.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Mar 6 9:22 pm

Dog Health > Lyme Disease Questions + More
Chandler

Barked: Sun Jul 7, '13 7:14pm PST 
Toto-

There have been improvements in testing for Lyme:

The IDEXX C6 test and their SNAP tests only find active cases of Lyme, not evidence of vaccination.

The Cornell Lyme Disease Multiplex test can measure three separate things:
1. Immune response to Lyme vaccination.
2. Whether there is a new infection.
3. Whether there is a chronic infection.

That page I linked also has information about joining a group that is focused on the treatment of tick borne diseases. It is a good place to get advice on your situation and see if anybody knows a vet in your area that is Lyme literate. The group has found that dogs are commonly undertreated for tick borne diseases; I can honestly say I have a friend whose dog was undertreated and now has chronic Lyme.

I'll repeat that the page I linked is an EXCELLENT source of information on Lyme and other tick borne diseases. It is really worth a read, and there is no way I could squeeze all the information on it into a post. wink

ps. Yep, Connecticut is ground zero for Lyme. frown
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jul 13 9:12 pm

Dog Health > Lyme Disease Questions + More

Chandler

Barked: Sat Jul 6, '13 3:37pm PST 
Regarding the Lyme.

It is often very difficult to find a tick borne disease knowledgeable vet.
If there is any color change at all on the Snap Test, there has been exposure.

The Tick list recommends doing a C6 test to check antibody titers after a positive snap test. Personally, given that Lyme can sometimes have practically no visible symptoms until your dog's kidneys crash, I lean toward treatment.

Here is a good site to read up on Lyme and the other tick borne diseases:
https://sites.google.com/site/tickbornediseaseindogs/lyme
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jul 13 9:12 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > A feature has been done about the wonderful English Shepherd

Chandler

Barked: Tue Jul 2, '13 5:27pm PST 
I'd say that does a fairly good job of hitting the high points of the breed. My only criticism would be that while it does mention some of the "challenges" of owning an ES, it does minimize their importance. Part of that probably reflects the characteristics of the few ES that have been imported to England where the article was written. I've known a few that were total failures as "working pets" and required a true working farm environment to be happy.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Chandler, Jul 2 5:27 pm

Behavior & Training > Training a Sensative Dog

Chandler

Barked: Sat Jun 15, '13 3:32pm PST 
Why don't you just pick a marker word that you can say in a soft & approving tone of voice instead? Sure a click works really well because it is a unique and very distinct sound, but you don't have to use it as your marker.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Bella and Daisy CGC, Jun 26 5:45 pm

Behavior & Training > Latest Dogster Mag Trip Through Bizzaro Land
Chandler

Barked: Sat Jun 15, '13 3:29pm PST 
Considering that one of the top Dogster Magazine stories at the moment is about how some dog's butt looks like Jesus, I suspect Dogster has fallen to a quality control level below that of the Weekly World News.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Jun 15 10:03 pm

(Page 1 of 239: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.