Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 43: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Grooming > good brush/comb for shedding
Jade- Alexandria

Dont mess with- me, I'm- chihuahua!

Barked: Sat Jun 4, '11 6:47pm PST 
It going to look rough. Your pulling the SOFT undercoat out. You cant have one without the other, so you have to decide- to leave the undercoat for the softer feel, or pull it out so she stops shedding so much in the house.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jun 5 1:58 pm

Grooming > Coat upkeep after a shave?
Jade- Alexandria

Barked: Sat Jun 4, '11 6:45pm PST 
Just a slicker will be fine. Zoom Grooms are used for short haired shedding breeds (think Dalmations, Pits, ect). Even with the dog shaved, it wont do it any good. Hair is too soft. The slicker wont hurt the dog unless she puts all the pressure she can muster into it. With it short, she just has to run the slicker brush over it. As it grows out and gets thick again, she can add more pressure as needed, as she will be no where near the skin. Having the dog groomed every few months instead of once a year helps too.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jun 4 9:11 pm

Grooming > Shaveing HELP

Jade- Alexandria

Barked: Sat Jun 4, '11 6:41pm PST 
Most East Coast groomers will tell you no. That the dogs have a double coat and that the long hair actually helps keep them cool. No official study has been done on it.

I live in Vegas where it gets 120 degrees in the summer. Almost all my clients have their dogs shaved. I do try to educate and let them know the hair may not grow back the same, but in the end its their dog, and they get what what want.

Will it make the dog any cooler? The owners out here say it does and will continue to do it year around. It also cuts back on the shedding since the undercoat is now gone. They will still shed, but smaller hairs. So unless its a breed with coarse terrier hair, theres not much to worry about there.

Peke's look cute in Lion Cuts as well. Just a thought.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jun 4 8:17 pm

Grooming > OMD what a fiasco!

Jade- Alexandria

Barked: Sat Jun 4, '11 6:37pm PST 
It could go either way at the groomers. Some dogs are so frightened they will seize up, making it a breeze for the grooming to do the job. Others will do exactly what yours just did to you.

My advise? Call around a find a groomer that will groom under a mild sedation. You can ask you vet for pills for grooming to help keep her calm, or pick up some melatonin at walmart. Pop a pill into her mouth an hour before. Melatonin is a natural occurrence in dogs and people, so its safe to use and helps keep the stress level down in the pet.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Sep 4 6:10 pm

Grooming > Dogs with short coat....bathe weekly?

Jade- Alexandria

Barked: Sat Jun 4, '11 6:34pm PST 
Bathe her as needed. If she doesnt stink, get dirty, or have skin problems, dont worry about it. If you do have to bathe her every week, use an oatmeal or vet prescribed shampoo. Oatmeal will put the oils back in the skin that washing with normal shampoo will strip out.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jun 5 1:44 pm

Grooming > diy grooming for dog with fear aggression
Jade- Alexandria

Barked: Wed May 25, '11 6:45pm PST 
Find a groomer who will do it straight through with the muzzle on. They should have you put the muzzle on, and depending on how the dog does on the table, have you stay there holding him or leave. I have several dogs that I do like this. Also, even though you might hate it, have the groomer take him short. The shorter you go the less you have to bring him in to get groomed (less stressful days in the year too). If they think they can give him a bath, with the muzzle on of course, great! If they dont feel comfortable, just shave him down and send him home. He needs as less stress as possible but he still needs to learn he has to be groomed. Fussing over it only makes it worse. You have to be (and the groomer does to) stern about the whole process. If you let him get away with it, he;s going to continue getting away with it and he will never learn right from wrong.

Start taking him for walks in the park. He needs to be around other people and dogs. He needs to be socialized.
Approved by forums moderator
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jun 6 12:56 pm

Grooming > what would you have done?

Jade- Alexandria

Barked: Wed May 25, '11 6:40pm PST 
I think what might have got them was "Not so fluffy". If I was in that situation as the groomer, I would have questioned more about how long. A trim is usually just that. Feet, face, sanitary, feathers. Not so fluffy to me is a skim or hand scissor all over. What they did was SHAVE your poor dog. She does look cute, they did a good job, but it wasnt what you wanted, so you did the right thing.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , May 26 9:59 am

Grooming > Need help with dandruff

Jade- Alexandria

Barked: Wed May 25, '11 6:33pm PST 
The furminator brush might be irritating her skin, causing her to have dandruff. The Furminator tool actually brings a lot of dandruff up to the surface when it pulls out the undercoat. Do a search for Skin Remedy. Its made by Bark 2 Basics. Great shampoo for this type of thing. Also, you can try using regular table sugar and massaging it into her coat after you lather the shampoo in. It exfoliates the skin. Sugar has natural healing properties so it might help as well.

What kind of food do u have her on? Blue Buffalo is one of the best. Make sure whatever u are feeding her as no wheat, corn, or by product in it.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , May 25 6:33 pm

Grooming > Realistic Expectations?

Jade- Alexandria

Barked: Wed May 25, '11 6:27pm PST 
I agree. Either she was just lazy, OR the dog didnt like the dryer. And if that was the case, the groomer should have told you. I would go back and ask for ur money back. Blowing the dog out is the most important step to getting all the shed of them.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , May 25 6:27 pm

Grooming > Whitening shampoo, short-haired dog
Jade- Alexandria

Barked: Wed May 25, '11 6:25pm PST 
Try table sugar. After u lather with shampoo had the sugar and scrub it in. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes. Its helped whiten my westie and take away her yeasty skin. And all natural!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , May 26 9:29 pm

(Page 1 of 43: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.