Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 55: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > Ill dog or just lazy?
Callie the- Azores- Cattle dog

I'm so cute that- I can't stand- it!!

Barked: Mon Aug 19, '13 8:38pm PST 
So we got Cal all her tests, xrays and all, and the only thing that shows is that her heart is normal to slightly enlarged. My previous dog had DCM but coughed occasionally but Cal doesn't. I will moniter her over the next few months and see what progresses from there. I really hope she does not have DCM : (.
It was way too hard the first time around.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Aug 19 8:38 pm

Barked: Tue Aug 13, '13 5:39am PST 
I phoned the vet yesterday and found out she has only been given a geriatric blood panel. I have her scheduled to go in again on Friday and I will definitely mention this to the vet. The symptoms do seem to add up to tick disease.

Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Aug 19 8:38 pm

Barked: Mon Aug 12, '13 3:58pm PST 
I believe tick disease has. We live in a climate that gets 8 months of winter so ticks are uncommon around here. I will search out the symptoms of such disease and compare anyways.

Thanks!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Aug 19 8:38 pm

Barked: Mon Aug 12, '13 3:00pm PST 
Hi all,

I have a 5 year old cattle dog who in the last 7 months, has become increasingly less and less energetic. For example, up until recently, she has always had boundless energy and been able to go for hours a day hiking, running, chasing or swimming. Lately, however, a hike of an hour seems to practically kill her. After a hike she now wants to sleep the rest of the day and during the hike she'll pull back in an effort to slow down. Also, today she chased the soccer ball for 15 minutes and she did not look well so I stopped, put the leash on and started to head back to the car. Again, she pulled back to walk slower and ended up laying down for a few minutes. Today is not a hot day and she is always given lots of water if she wants it. We have taken her to the vet and got a full blood panel and she was fine. Has anyone seen this before? I have always had active dogs and none have slowed down at this earky age as much as she has.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Aug 19 8:38 pm

Behavior & Training > Cesar Millan, Electronic Collar

Barked: Mon Jan 24, '11 5:41pm PST 
I agree with B&D.

Having a "hard" breed as my cattle dog, to simply say that you can divert the attention of the dog not to focus on what they perceive as work, spinning tires;must chase and or herd, for example, is not easy. The fact that one of the most renouned dog trainers on the planet, who is completely opposed to even using touch to train a dog, advocates the use of an e-collar, in a humane fashion, goes to show that in life or death situations for the dog, sometimes using adversives are necessary.

Unless you have lived, slept, ate and breathed what it is like to actually deal wth the strong willed, live to work breed such as a cattle dog on a day to day basis, to say that that drive can be trained away in all instances, is a bit mis-informed.

Again, when I actually watch the episode, I'll be better able to judge but odds are, I'll agree with Cesar. My dog has gotten nearly run over a dozen or more times as a younger pup in her quest to chase a UPS truck, bus or any large and fast vehicle.

She doesn't do it so much now but there were some seriously scary moments in her life
[notify]
» There has since been 88 posts. Last posting by , Jan 30 1:39 am

Behavior & Training > Cesar Millan, Electronic Collar

Barked: Mon Jan 24, '11 4:16pm PST 
How does one find that episode? I'm in Canada where we get new shows quite a bit later than the U.S. Could I get it on line?

I have an Acoriana Cattle Dog who, when I run the push mower, goes absolutely beserk and bites the tires and tries to shake the mower to death. There's been no ridding her of that. I'm not too worried though since it's not a frequent thing and I keep her in the house now while I mow.

Anyway, I believe it was Ian Dunbar that said that in only life or death situations, should you use an ecollar. If you have to use it more than three times, it's abuse. Ceasr has worked quite closely with Ian over the last couple of years.

Also, Cesar has come a very long way in his training methods over the last few years, so, even though I've not seen the episode, I'm sure his methods were based on kindness rather than cruelty.

Anyway, if someone could point me in the right direction, I would love to watch the episode.

Thanks!!
[notify]
» There has since been 93 posts. Last posting by , Jan 30 1:39 am

Behavior & Training > I feel so bad for the cattle dog upstairs-What do I do or say?

Barked: Fri Jan 21, '11 9:36pm PST 
Forget it, even after I talked to the landlord, the poor girl is trapped in the house 24/7. She's no longer in her crate, she's just never allowed outside. It's pretty sad. It makes me not want to live here because I cannot stand the way she's treated. It's depressing. All I ever hear upstairs is them telling her to " get off!!". " Go to bed"!! It's gross... It really is.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 23 8:35 am

Behavior & Training > Cross post - Toronto Dogwalker recommendations?

Barked: Fri Jan 21, '11 9:24pm PST 
Cracker's mum. She walks in the rosedale and forest hill area. Send her a pm. Good luck!!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jan 21 9:24 pm

Behavior & Training > I feel so bad for the cattle dog upstairs-What do I do or say?

Barked: Fri Jan 14, '11 8:08pm PST 
Whew!! I just spoke to the landlord and and offered my dog walking services at lunchtime (I work a 5 minute walk from home) so hopefully he'll take me up on the offer. He had shut her in the bathroom when she is usually in the bedroom. She had gotten frustrated in her crate, chewed out the bottom of the crate and through the floor beneath it. Thus, she stayed in the bathroom while they were away which is probably why I heard her more than usual due to the acoustics.

I really hope he takes me up on my offer!!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Jan 23 8:35 am

Barked: Fri Jan 14, '11 5:20pm PST 
Omg, she's still crying and thumping around!! Isn't that bad for her system?

I feel so bad. I just knocked on the upstairs door in hopes someone would be home but no ones there: (
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jan 23 8:35 am

(Page 1 of 55: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.