Postings by Trixie's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 124: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > Last hope for our dear lab Rio
Tucker

Earned my wings- Jan. 22nd

Barked: Wed Apr 16, '14 5:24pm PST 
Not sure what anti-nausea medication your dog is on, but if she's not doing well on one, why not ask the vet if you could try a different one? Our senior who passed away in January, also lost protein through the kidneys. Even though his creatinine was always normal and his bun was only slightly elevated, he would not eat without his anti-nausea medication. Initially Cerenia worked well for a few months, then it stopped working. At that point we switched to ondansetron, which is a potent anti-nausea medication often used with chemo patients. Human pharmacies often carry the generic version. There is a pretty wide dosage range with the ondansetron, so it might need to be adjusted once or twice to find what works for your dog. My friend also had a dog in acute renal failure, and ondansetron is what worked for them.

You could also ask your vet if he/she feels sub q fluids might be helpful. Even though our dog's BUN was never astronomical, sub q definitely helped him hang in there for several more months. Our dog was also on Pepcid for a few years, then Prilosec for the last year, to help with excess stomach acid which can also affect appetite.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Wesley, Fri 3:10 pm

Behavior & Training > Helping the Insecure Dog
Trixie

Lookin' Pretty

Barked: Wed Apr 9, '14 7:06am PST 
Known Facts:

1. your dog has been attacked or nearly attacked a few times.
2. He does not care for high energy dogs getting in his space
3. He will give several appropriate warnings to back off- head turn, lip lift, soft growl
4. He will not continue to tolerate a high energy dog who continues to get in his personal space.

Possible Intervention:
1. Control any high energy dogs around him, especially after he has turned his head away, lifted lip, and growled at them. What else is there left for him to do to but escalate his warnings to a bite? If you do not make his environment "safe" he feels that he has to do that himself.

I agree that not letting go during the bite was excessive force on his part when an airsnap or a quick bite would have worked, but not all dogs read the doggie communication hand manual. Your dog was clearly very aggravated and perhaps even fearful of what was going to come next (a potential attack in his experience?) when the other dog attempted to mount him, so he went straight to bite and hold the fourth time his space was invaded (mounting).

A behaviorist will help your dog learn to become more comfortable around other dogs, however no dog should have to put up with another dog repeatedly trying to engage it when it has clearly said "no, not interested" several times. That is when the humans need to intervene, because the next step will be escalation.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Apr 11 5:21 am

Dog Health > Dog hates Subcutaneous Fluids required every other day

Tucker

Barked: Mon Mar 10, '14 5:39pm PST 
We had to give daily fluids to our dog for an issue other than kidney disease, so we were able to use ham as treats during the process. You'll need to use a low phosphorous treat for a kidney dog, but other than that difference, the video link below shows how we got our dog to not only tolerate, but look forward to his daily sub q fluids. We also swear by Terumo needles.

http://dennisthevizsla.wordpress.com/2013/05/28/the-adventure-of -the-ham-plate/#more-9470
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Tucker, Mar 10 5:39 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Hungarian Vizsla

Dennis- FDCH-S,- TFIII

I love agility- and flyball!

Barked: Fri Mar 7, '14 7:40am PST 
This is one of my favorite videos about the vizsla. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSm5-e7uga4 I have owned vizslas for the past 15 years, and although they are very sweet, they are very high maintenance in regards to the level of mental stimulation, and their high need for physical activity. Just giving them space to run around is not enough. They will gladly redecorate your house, and are prone to separation anxiety if their needs are not met.

You can also find some good detailed information about what it's like to live with a vizsla here: http://vizslarescuesocal.com/vizsla-information/
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Dennis FDCH-S, TFIII, Mar 7 7:40 am

Behavior & Training > Golden Retriever showing Aggression

Trixie

Lookin' Pretty

Barked: Sun Feb 23, '14 12:06pm PST 
Have you asked the breeder for advice?
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Feb 23 5:28 pm

Dogs & Travel > Traveling 3100 miles with 7 animals in one car
Trixie

Lookin' Pretty

Barked: Mon Feb 17, '14 5:12pm PST 
What about a fifteen foot long line for potty breaks? My concern would be that the flexi puts a small amount of tension on the neck, which might distract your dog from pottying if she's the sensitive sort. Or maybe since she is a Saint and so big, she wouldn't notice the tension. Hard to tell. Maybe you could buy a leash and see if she'll potty with it before you have to actually leave for the trip.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Feb 24 5:33 pm

Behavior & Training > New Potential Site

Dennis- FDCH-S,- TFIII

I love agility- and flyball!

Barked: Sat Feb 8, '14 1:38pm PST 
keep me posted
[notify]
» There has since been 31 posts. Last posting by Pogo, Feb 18 7:40 pm

Grooming > best brand of de-matting tools

Trixie

Lookin' Pretty

Barked: Mon Feb 3, '14 5:15pm PST 
thank you all, for your responses. Has anyone used Show Sheen? I was told that this is a good spray for helping work out tangles and matts.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Onyx & Ruby, Mar 30 6:49 pm

Dog Health > Flagyl/Metronidazole Long Term for IBS?

Tucker

Barked: Mon Feb 3, '14 7:37am PST 
If you suspect your dog has IBD, there is a wealth of information over at IBDogs on Yahoo groups. IBD is diagnosed by scoping. If your dog has IBD, it is NOT something you want to fool around with. You really need to know if this is what your dog has, and then to look at your treatment options to get GI inflammation under control. Left untreated, IBD can cause thickening of the intestinal walls, and it can become a nightmare to deal with. And yes, many people prefer Tylan for long term usage over metronidazole. Many people feel that metronidazole has the potential to cause neurological issues with long term usage.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Kali, Feb 6 3:57 am

Grooming > best brand of de-matting tools
Trixie

Lookin' Pretty

Barked: Thu Jan 30, '14 6:58am PST 
Our vet was mentioning that there is a tool you can buy which helps "cut through" mats as you brush. We have an undercoat rake, but I think she was talking about something that had sharp edges that would help break the matt apart as you brushed. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good brand, and what the name of this tool is? Our dog is about 50 pounds, and is double coated.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Onyx & Ruby, Mar 30 6:49 pm

(Page 1 of 124: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.