Postings by Bretta **Guardian Angel Now**'s Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 249: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Rescue refuses to return pet Sheltie "Piper"
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '14 4:40pm PST 
The scary thing is that if the judge sides with the rescue, it is basically saying that a microchip isn't proof of property. That leaves things open for other rescues to do the same; which I could see happening if the dog in question happens to be a show/breeding dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Twister, Sep 19 12:27 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Service dog | blue pitbull | XXL Pitbull
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Sat Aug 23, '14 4:05pm PST 
Actually, Cohen is correct. While there may be blue AmStaffs and blue UKC dogs, I've yet to see a blue ADBA dog that didn't have enough AmStaff blood that it really shouldn't be in an APBT ring, let alone looking like a Weim cross. Then there is the dirty little secret that most of those 100+ pound conformationally incorrect dogs have Neo Mastiff in their woodpile; you can thank some of the weight pull kennels for that (they did the same thing mixing Dogue De Bordeaux with OFRN lines in the 90's). The other dirty little secret is that those dogs have some of the worst temperaments around.

Wanna know how I know this? I've been in APBTs for more than 30 years and my mentor, while not exactly the most pc guy, did know the dogs inside and out. Real, well bred APBTs are giants at 55 with a few throwbacks going maybe to 70, but those larger dogs are NOT the norm.

As for the original question, you are talking about Therapy dogs. Given the temperaments I've seen on some of the AmBullys, you have a 50/50 chance. The Razor's Edge and Gotti breedings aren't the most temperamentally sound dogs out there.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Aug 23 4:44 pm

Dogs & Travel > Low Stress Traveling Advise PLEASE HELP!!!

Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Mon May 19, '14 7:50pm PST 
The only other suggestion would be a Rescue Remedy or something similar in addition to the DAP and Thundershirt. Some dogs, no matter how well we train and prepare them, just aren't great travelers. When you have one that falls into this category, there is no such thing as low stress.

Scooter is the easiest traveler EVER, yet I stress over making sure he has everything he needs and then some.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Maya, Jun 10 10:47 am

Dogs & Travel > Flying to Germany with all three

Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Sun Apr 20, '14 11:21am PST 
Most airlines have a limit to the number of carry-on pets allowed in each section (first/business/economy) as well as an overall limit (excluding SDs & ESAs). You will need to get them added to your ticket as soon as possible to ensure all three will be allowed in-cabin as carry-on.

You will need an ISO chip or bring a scanner for your non-compliant chip. You'll also need to get your FAVN testing done (microchip number is required to be on it and the rabies vax certificate) so as not to deal with quarantine.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Scooter, Apr 20 11:21 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > I want to cry. my service dog bit me!

Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Sun Apr 20, '14 11:14am PST 
Link, given the listed pet peeve of not liking anyone to blow in its face, then suggesting an evaluation by either a SD trainer or a behaviorist IS in order. I've seen kids make contact with SDs before parents or handlers can react; if the dog only nipped its handler over that, it is apt to be more aggressive towards someone it doesn't know.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Bobby, Apr 25 3:57 pm

American Pit Bull Terrier > Pit mix?
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Wed Nov 20, '13 9:41pm PST 
Those tests are a joke. There is a rather infamous YouTube video of someone doing the test on their UKC Purple Ribbon bred APBT that happened to be black with white markings. The result came back as Boston Terrier and some other way off breed.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Scooter, Nov 20 9:41 pm

Dogs & Travel > Question with international travel and microchipping

Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Wed Nov 20, '13 9:22pm PST 
Nola, you're good. Just make sure they put the ISO number (or both numbers) on the FAVN form(s) and on any/all rabies vax certificates. Most countries are sticklers about having the chip done first so they can confirm the dog vax'd matched the chip.

Scooter and Bretta both had two chips as well as ink, so it all was listed.
[notify]
» There has since been -2 posts. Last posting by Scooter, Nov 20 9:22 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > What do you think of this breeder?

Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Thu Nov 7, '13 2:55am PST 
Zoey, it is a myth that in order for a PSD to pick up on their handler's issues that they must be raised/trained by the handler. There are quite a few programs that train PSDs. In most cases, part of the application/pairing process is to identify your individual tells (for example, clenching your fists) so they can train the dog to signal to them.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Delta, Nov 11 8:19 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Dogster Magazine: The Fake-Service-Dog Scam Is Getting More Popular

Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Thu Nov 7, '13 2:47am PST 
Harley, I wasn't comparing us to Japan. I was pointing out that even if one has an ADI program dog, they can still be forced to jump thru hoops to use their SD other countries. Otto is a perfect example; he is allowed to work in the UK because he is from an ADI program. If they were to go to Japan for 6 months, they would have to PAT every 30 days.

You seem to forget that not everyone will hold themselves to a higher standard. That is going to be our downfall.

No, training a SD isn't rocket science, but it isn't something one can read a book or two on then jump into and be successful. It isn't something that you can expect a typical pet dog trainer to be of much help with other than basic obedience. I see far too many people trying to OT for mobility tasks without consulting a real SD trainer; tasks that if taught incorrectly, will affect its working span or could seriously injure the dog.

As I stated in my first sentence on my previous post, I'm NOT an ADI fan. I don't want the right to OT to be taken away; if it were, I would be SOL as I seriously don't like Labs, Goldens, and the other breeds most commonly used by programs let alone that the alert is as important as the response tasks...And I already know MY idea of well trained is not the same as yours.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Delta, Nov 11 8:14 am

Dogs & Travel > Traveling on Spirit Air with a frenchie
Scooter

Work hard; Play- harder.

Barked: Thu Nov 7, '13 2:06am PST 
I've flown on other airlines where the height limit was 10" and I had no trouble getting my 11" tall carrier under the seat. As for the airline pulling out a tape and measuring... chances are well in your favor that they won't bother.

As for keeping the pup calm, other than pulling him out of the bag to clear the security checkpoint, airport and airline rules are that he is to stay in the carrier. I'd take a small baby receiving-type blanket to drape over it while you are waiting to board and not let him pop his head out.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Scooter, Nov 7 2:06 am

(Page 1 of 249: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.