Postings by Jake's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

Dogs & Travel > Flying with a dog
Shadowood- Zoe

Don't hate me- because I'm- beautiful...

Barked: Sun Mar 16, '08 9:15am PST 
My mommy loves those roller type carriers. It makes zipping around the airport so much easier for her. Something like this one
http://www.grooming-pet-supplies.com/bc2-1563/petsupplies/item.htm l?utm_source=NexTag&utm_medium=ppc&utm_campaign=bc2-1563

Arrive at the airport early so your dog can calm down with all the strange noises. You don't want to stress when you arrive cause your dog will feel that stress as well and wonder why your so stressed!

Let the flight attendants know you have a dog as well as your seat mate. This way it wont surprise anyone. You can request ice cubes for your dog. That's a less messy way of giving water. Although you are tempted to "reassure" your dog throughout the flight, your probably better off if you leave him alone to manage his fears. If he thinks your nervous than he will be extra nervous. Stay calm. That's the best.
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Zeus, Mar 28 2:05 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > England for the summer!
Shadowood- Zoe

Barked: Sun Mar 16, '08 9:03am PST 
Do they still quarantine dogs when arriving? Or is different for service dogs?
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Buddy ☮, Mar 19 8:42 pm

Behavior & Training > Aggressive dog @ dog wash. I need to rant.

Shadowood- Zoe

Barked: Sun Mar 16, '08 9:00am PST 
Well, I have to speak up on behalf of all the dog-aggressive owners out there. Yes, some are very irresponsible of their dogs. And yes, they are a big part of the problem. But some of us have dogs that are dog-aggressive and have tried EVERYTHING to help their dog calm down when around other dogs. My Zoe is just such a dog. She has EXTREME dog aggression. However, I do work with her, and take her to public places as a way to practice with her and get her to focus on me rather than other dogs, she is always under my control. I am very aware of the situation around me and never take my eyes off of her or know who is around me. Most people don't even know she is aggressive because we manage it so well. I never drop my guard when she is around the public.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Nallah, Mar 17 12:21 pm

Behavior & Training > female MOUNTING?

Jake

So many- squirrels, so- little time...

Barked: Sun Mar 16, '08 8:49am PST 
Mom calls me "Romeo of the Dog Park". That's the only place I hump. She tries to discourage it because other dogs might not like it and eventually one might REALLY let me know how much they don't like it. When she goes to the dog park, she carries a small water gun. She squirts me when I do it. Now, all I have to do is see the water gun and I change my mine. I know she is only looking out for me. She doesn't want some other dog to get the wrong idea. She knows I'm just too excited to be with all those dogs and play is fun.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Thor, Mar 19 7:41 pm

Behavior & Training > New aggression, don\'t know what to do.

Jake

Barked: Sun Mar 16, '08 8:33am PST 
I agree. There were some clues but he might not have had the energy to do anything about it in the past. He may need retraining. There is a great book called "The Culture Clash". The basic principle is that your dog will now need to be retrained on what is acceptable and what isnt'. He has to earn privileges rather than assume they are his for the taking. It will help you understand what your dog is going through. Another good book is "Karen Pryor's Don't Shoot the Dog". It's not an easy fix, but it can be managed. It will take patience on your part. You might want to start removing any type of temptation like food uneaten, toys not played with, ect. Grant him the items when he is well behaved. Make it a reward rather than just another object that belongs to him.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Loki - Goodbye My Handsome Boy, Mar 16 8:21 pm

Dogs & Travel > Best Places in US or Canada to travel
Shadowood- Zoe

Barked: Sun Mar 9, '08 9:40pm PST 
San Diego is cool with Dog Beach.

I love this thread! Getting some great ideas on where to take the furkids on the family vacation!!! We've been to New England, California, New Orleans and Niagra Falls. But I think this year we want to try Seattle/Vancouver area. Hopefully they have nice parks for them. I heard that some of the harbor boat tours actually allow dogs on the tours.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Baxter, Mar 25 8:11 pm

Dogs & Travel > Traveling to Mexico (Cancun)

Shadowood- Zoe

Barked: Sun Mar 9, '08 9:27pm PST 
Check with the embassies of the destination countries as to specific requirements that must be met before a pet may be brought into the country. Many countries have strict health, quarantine, agriculture, wildlife, and customs requirements and prohibitions.

http://gomexico.about.com/od/planningandinformation/qt/pets_trav el.htm
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Shadowood Zoe, Mar 9 9:27 pm

Dogs & Travel > Driving to Texas in the evil car.

Jake

Barked: Sun Mar 9, '08 9:22pm PST 
Check with your Vet. Since it is a long trip, your vet might be able to give you some recommendations on sedatives.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Mar 19 8:42 am

Dogs & Travel > Cheapest way to fly

Shadowood- Zoe

Barked: Sun Mar 9, '08 9:19pm PST 
Your better of calling the airlines that offer that service and do some type of comparison. Most will require each dog to be crated separately. In general, it will be cheaper to ship them on their own in the cargo than to fly with them. Some airlines limit the amount of dogs you can take with you if you fly with them. Typically it's one dog per passenger.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Shadowood Zoe, Mar 9 9:19 pm

Dogs & Travel > Flying with a dog
Shadowood- Zoe

Barked: Sun Mar 9, '08 9:16pm PST 
All great advice. I'm a seasoned traveler since mommy works for the airline! She always packs some peanut butter because my ears get plugged up during take off and landing. She gives it to me so I will smack my lips and thus pop my ears!

I am crate trained so being in a crate doesn't bother me. She ususally likes to put a tea towel inside that she rubbed through her hair so I have her scent near me. That way if something does scare me, I can feel reassured.
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by Zeus, Mar 28 2:05 pm

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.