Close X

Postings by Lady Bug's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 488: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > Clinical depression and your dog
Takoda

The Poops

Barked: Sat Sep 24, '11 8:02am PST 
Pet ownership should be about the individual person, not that they have x illness. I know plenty of able-bodied people who shouldn't own a plant, let alone a dog.

Mikhail, psychiatric service dogs and emotional support dogs may be topics of interest for you.
[notify]
» There has since been 17.8 posts. Last posting by , Sep 28 1:31 am

Behavior & Training > Dogs doing what they were bred for!
Takoda

The Poops

Barked: Tue Feb 22, '11 6:02pm PST 
My parents own a Labrador Retriever, and although we've tried to indulge her retrieval instincts, she doesn't have a soft mouth. Won't even exchange for something better. I remember one time she 'retrieved' the pool thermometer, and three of us had to hold her down and pry her mouth open before she broke it. silenced
We're bird/duck/waterfowl lovers and own them as pets, so it's not like we need her for hunting, anyway.

Takoda is a herding mutt and we do indulge her a bit, but really only by letting her keep the squirrels, etc. in check.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Beau, Feb 25 5:01 am

Behavior & Training > What is your dog\'s strangest quirk(s)?

Takoda

The Poops

Barked: Sun Feb 20, '11 7:40am PST 
Takoda loves to chew up napkins, paper towels, etc. If we leave one on the floor, she'll have it shredded in minutes! She's a very gentle dog (WAY softer mouth than my parent's Lab), and rarely chews things up. Don't know what her thing with soft paper is.

Also, regarding 'paw,' Takoda is obsessed with doing paw touches. I've taught her paw, shake, gimme five, wave, and beg using touches, so now she thinks every new trick MUST involve a paw touch! The other day we were working on 'watch me,' which I have neglected, and she slapped me across the face. laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 37 posts. Last posting by Diesel, Mar 15 5:40 am

Food & Nutrition > Where can i buy Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar

Takoda

The Poops

Barked: Fri Feb 11, '11 5:43am PST 
We get ours at GNC. I'm pretty sure other health stores like The Vitamin Shoppe also carry it.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Rambo, Feb 14 9:27 am

Behavior & Training > Opposite: Ever wanted to tell someone else they\'re doing it wrong?

Takoda

The Poops

Barked: Sun Feb 6, '11 10:35am PST 
I try to avoid all the touchy subjects regarding pets, including training. I train +R/-P and am the odd one out around here. But I also happen to have the most well-behaved dog and cats (who are also clicker-trained and know how to sit/give high-five/etc) in my entire family, so it's not like they can tell me I'm doing it wrong. laugh out loud

However, I have stepped in once. My father and his siblings wanted to buy a shock/electronic collar for my grandmother's (who has Alzheimer's and stopped exercising her dogs) Australian Shepherd, because the dog had started excessively barking.
Now, I don't use e-collars, but I know how they have their place in the training regimes of many trainers and I really couldn't care less if people use them. BUT here's the thing: the dog was not being exercised. Yeah, they expected an Australian Shepherd, a herding/working breed, to be OK with absolutely no mental or physical stimulation.

So I spoke up and got in a fight with my father. I'm a herding dog person, and I wasn't going to stand by and allow them to use an e-collar (which they wouldn't even know how to use properly) on a dog whose problem could be fixed with some exercise.
I got through to him and the e-collar was never bought. One of my aunts stepped in and began taking one dog (a Mini Aussie) regularly, and IIRC the barking dog got its exercise back.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Maple Leaf, Feb 6 7:01 pm

Dog Health > Drinking large amounts at one time
Takoda

The Poops

Barked: Fri Feb 4, '11 11:58am PST 
My parent's Lab does this, too. Drinks a few times a day for 4~ minutes straight; big gulps, too!

She's 11, arthritic, and these days rarely likes to get up, so I've always assumed it's a lazy/old dog thing. She didn't do it when she was young, and pees just the same as before.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Adam, Feb 4 12:06 pm

Behavior & Training > Nippy Australian Shepherds...

Takoda

The Poops

Barked: Wed Feb 2, '11 2:43pm PST 
I agree that it's a breed trait, not aggression.

Takoda had a big problem with nipping as a puppy. She was an absolute terror; tore up my pants, bit holes into my shoes, etc.
Through exercise, mental stimulation, and training (leave it/etc), she doesn't nip anymore. In fact, she doesn't try to herd people at all anymore.

She does still herd the cats if she's a bit under-stimulated that day, but it's now more of a BC-style with crouching and eying, rather than nipping/etc.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by ღஐღSierraღஐღ, Feb 3 10:10 am

Behavior & Training > Dogs and occupied bathrooms

Takoda

The Poops

Barked: Fri Jan 28, '11 1:46pm PST 
Takoda lays next to the bathroom door when it's occupied. What's weird is she only does it with the master bath.
If I'm home alone, I usually leave the bathroom door open for her if I need to take a shower. But then she just paws and whines at the shower door, and as soon as I open it, attempts to climb in the shower with me!

"My cat and dog are pretty relaxed as long as no doors are closed. If we're behind a closed door, then suddenly they MUST be in there ... " ~Misha

Our cats are the same, and it drives us crazy. At our current residence, the bathrooms all have pocket doors. The cats have figured out how to open the doors and sometimes open them on whoever the unfortunate person in the bathroom is!
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by Juneau - CA, Jan 28 10:40 pm

Dog Health > Sleeping with your animals

Takoda

The Poops

Barked: Fri Jan 28, '11 10:03am PST 
I'm immunocompromised and sleep with a cat in my bed every night (the same one who often wakes me up in the middle of the night, shoving his face into mine whilst drooling all over me).
Takoda sleeps with my mom, but if I had a dog in my room, they would be allowed to sleep in my bed, too. Not to mention all the cats take turns sleeping on my bed during the day, so I'm sure they leave bacteria/germs behind.

So no, I don't worry about it. I HAVE had a doctor warn against it, but he's an allergist and just didn't want me sleeping in a bed full of allergens.
[notify]
» There has since been 50 posts. Last posting by Sallie Mae, Jan 31 6:30 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Choosing A Breed For The Wrong Reason.
Takoda

The Poops

Barked: Fri Jan 28, '11 7:48am PST 
What draws me to a breed is typically looks, but temperament is what cements it.

It goes both ways, too. There are lots of breeds I wouldn't own based on appearance. Coat, for example; I have sensory issues and a rough, short, and/or greasy coat are all aversive to me. I can't even pet my parents' Lab because I hate the feeling.
Coincidentally, I often don't like the temperament of breeds I don't like the appearance of. As I stated, I can't pet a Lab, and as it turns out, I'm also not fond of their temperament.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Nicky, Mar 6 9:37 am

(Page 1 of 488: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.