Postings by Ocean (1988-2001)'s Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 138: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Leaving dog in the house alone question
Kelpie

Foxy girl!

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 10:13pm PST 
I think most people leave their dogs home alone without a crate. I think crating is really only necessary if there are behavior problems (being destructive, excessive barking, etc.).

I think the idea of trying it for short periods of time to see if any problems develop is good. Make sure she has a comfy place to sleep (which is what she's going to be doing most of the time), her favorite toys, etc. She'll be fine.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Moose, Nov 14 10:35 pm

Dog Health > broken toe -- worth surgery?
Kelpie

Foxy girl!

Barked: Tue Nov 13, '12 10:02pm PST 
Hi, guys! Thanks for all the advice! Sorry I didn't get back to this thread sooner. I went ahead and had the surgery. By the time we did all the follow-up care it cost a lot more than $2,000!

I did get a second opinion, and the consensus was that because the break was fully displaced it would not set well on its own and would take months to heal, with the chance of it rebreaking in the meantime.

I'm not sure it was worth it, but Kelpie's as good as new!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Kelpie, Nov 13 10:02 pm

Grooming > Help Dull Coat

Kelpie

Foxy girl!

Barked: Wed Mar 7, '12 10:03pm PST 
In addition to the other suggestions, I would try giving him a raw egg once or twice a week. I can tell the difference in Kelpie's coat almost immediately.
[notify]
» There has since been -1 posts. Last posting by , Mar 8 2:10 am

Dog Health > broken toe -- worth surgery?

Kelpie

Foxy girl!

Barked: Wed Mar 7, '12 9:54pm PST 
Kelpie broke one of the middle toes on her right front paw last week chasing a stupid possum over a rock pile. I saw the x-ray: it's completely broken and displaced. The vet recommended that because Kelpie is an athletic dog who does recreational agility she should have surgery to fix the fracture with a plate. I'm thinking "$2,000 for a broken toe?" I'm not sure I'd spend $2,000 on a broken toe if it was mine!

Meanwhile, she's running around on her splinted foot like it's nothing, making me wonder if it's really necessary. $2,000 buys a lot of dog food!

Anyone have any experience with a broken toe, whether you had surgery or not?
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Kelpie, Nov 13 10:02 pm

Dogs and a Clean Home > What does your dog smell like?

Kelpie

Foxy girl!

Barked: Tue Aug 23, '11 10:37am PST 
Kelpie smells delicious -- slightly sweet, like a combination of grass and baby powder. I can't remember the last time I gave her a bath, either. Occasionally when we're gardening we spray her with the hose, and she likes to play in the rain (make her soft fur even softer!), but there's no point in going through the whole bath ordeal. She keeps herself well groomed and dirt just sloughs off like her fur is Scotchguarded. The house never smells doggy, either.

I think whether your dog (and your house!) smells "doggy" depends on how oily their skin is, since oil absorbs odor and then transfers it to whatever the dog brushes against.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Molly, Aug 23 6:31 pm

Dog Health > Please Read: \"Crystals\" detected in urinalysis
Kelpie

Foxy girl!

Barked: Fri Jul 10, '09 9:24am PST 
I guess we'll do another test after she finishes up the antibiotics. The vet didn't say anything about water, but the water composition here in the SF Bay area may not be as much of a factor. I am cracking down on her diet, though -- no unauthorized treats!
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Peter Parker, Jul 13 2:27 pm

Dog Health > Please Read: \"Crystals\" detected in urinalysis

Kelpie

Foxy girl!

Barked: Thu Jul 9, '09 2:41pm PST 
Hey, Hunter! Funny that I had already posted in this thread, because it turns out Kelpie has the exact same thing. She'd started having little "wetting accidents" while she was asleep (on my bed -- ick!), so I took her to the vet last week and we did a urine test. The vet called today to say Kelpie had crystals in her urine and that she's going to put Kelpie on a mild antibiotic. She didn't recommend any dietary changes, but I'm going to look into that.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Peter Parker, Jul 13 2:27 pm

Dog Health > to vet or not to vet?

Kelpie

Foxy girl!

Barked: Thu Jul 9, '09 2:37pm PST 
The wound looks much better this morning.

I left the collar off overnight, since she couldn't sleep in her crate with it on and I wasn't going to have her whacking me with it on my bed. I put it back on this morning and reapplied the ointment and she was so unhappy. When I leave for work in the morning she's always fine, but this morning she tried and tried to push out the door with me, and then when I closed the door she scratched at it and cried. Broke my heart to make my baby so upset!

Meanwhile, I'd taken her into the vet last week for another problem, and the vet called today with the test results and wants to put her on a mild antibiotic, so she's going to get antibiotics anyway! laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Sergeant Tank, Jul 9 2:45 pm

Dog Health > to vet or not to vet?

Kelpie

Foxy girl!

Barked: Wed Jul 8, '09 7:59pm PST 
Thanks, pups! When I got home I went straight to the storage room and lo and behold, I still have an old E-collar from my last dog (I knew I'd kept it for a while, but thought I might have gotten rid of it last time I "cleaned" down there). Anyway, I popped it on Kelpie and slathered the wound with Neosporin.

Now she's sulking about the collar. Kelpie has many wonderful qualities, but she has *no* sense of humor and since she's used to being very lithe and graceful, she's very put out to be banging into things and making us laugh. big laugh Aside from her bruised feelings, I'll let you know how she's doing.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Sergeant Tank, Jul 9 2:45 pm

Dog Health > Huskies, Seizures and Phenobarb
Ocean- (1988-2001)

I smell- chocolate!

Barked: Wed Jul 8, '09 6:00pm PST 
That's tough, Tanuk! I'm a single woman, and as I said, after struggling with end-of-life care for two big dogs, when I went looking for my current dog one requirement was that I be able to carry it up the stairs fairly easily.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Dante, Jul 9 10:08 am

(Page 1 of 138: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.