Postings by Tucker's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 20: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  

Dog Health > Koda's leg is hurt!
Rascal

Silly

Barked: Mon Jan 27, '14 6:37am PST 
If it hurts that bad Id get him into the vet asap for some rads and good pain medication. If he is telling you it hurts it does! Rascal landed on my hatch latch a few weeks ago and even now he still gimps if he moves to much too fast. Id take him in, we can take pain medication at home we know it hurts. You can't just give a dog motrin or aspirin so take him to the vet!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Scooter, PAWS , Jan 29 7:57 am

Food & Nutrition > Lowering urine ph in my Dog
Rascal

Silly

Barked: Mon Jan 27, '14 6:33am PST 
Since he already had surgery I would be concerned he would form more stones if his urine is not kept in check. What about royal canin urinary SO. Most pets cats and dogs love that food and it supposed to prevent either type of stone formation. But you have to remember no other food or treats while on any of the prescription diets!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Scooter, PAWS , Jan 29 7:58 am

Dog Health > Osteo sarcoma (bone cancer)

Tucker

SQUIRREL! !

Barked: Thu Jan 9, '14 6:41pm PST 
Shes 13!! Let her live and be happy. When she is no longer happy or in pain (be careful! Dogs can be sooo stoic!) Its time. Until then lots of food treats and fun! I would never put an old dog through anything harmful (amputate, chemo) just pain meds and food! I don't even know if I would treat a younger dog for something like that either
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Jan 10 4:52 pm

Dog Health > Wat's the weirdest thing that has happened to your dog?

Tucker

SQUIRREL! !

Barked: Fri Dec 20, '13 5:05pm PST 
Well I have many.
Rascal had a toilet paper obsession- he overdosed. Rushed him to vet when he refused food- just upset tummy from the overdose of paper.
Tucker- well where do we start. Until I realized fabric toys and socks and underwear were all apparently edible, he ate many. We finally trained all the members in the house to clean up after themselves that problem solved.
He broke into a bag a tights. Ate those, puked them up.
Ate a entire rope toy after getting the two knots undone. Puked that up.
And this week alone he managed to sneak some chicken bones, got very sick for 24 hours. The next day managed to step on a two inch thorn that went all the way into his foot. And today he hit heads so hard with the other dog he screamed like a puppy and then played again like nothing happened. Tucker has a black cloud over him this week!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Willie, Dec 21 9:57 pm

Behavior & Training > Any advice? Conditioning for vet visits?

Tucker

SQUIRREL! !

Barked: Sat Dec 7, '13 6:42am PST 
Geez if its that bad have you ever thought of finding a vet that would come to your house? If you must sedate I wouldn't use acepromazine. Its a poor sedative for nervous or aggressive dogs. Alprazolam or valium could be a better choice. Make sure you also tire the crap out of her if you know you have an exam coming up. It helps to have less energy to fight too. I would definitely continue with the pop in visits, make sure everyone doesn't touch her but gives or throws her treats and then you leave.
My younger dog sees a eye dr, its hilarious when he goes to these places he looks for treats, he will nudge the drs over to the treat jar! I guess we did a good job conditioning him to like the vets!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Bianca CGC TT HIC Thd ♥, Dec 14 8:12 pm

Tucker

SQUIRREL! !

Barked: Fri Dec 6, '13 3:37pm PST 
Well I guess being on the floor or table could go either way. Problem is, if she is still on the table because she is terrified that may make her overall visit bad. But if work is easier and less reactive on the table it may not be a bad idea.
One of my dogs absolutely panics on the x ray table, and just the other day my dr. wanted him eye level so I tried to raise the table and he said no way! Although Im sure I could fix that I see no point.
Muzzles are for safety, I see no problem using one, and sometimes it calms dogs down because now what can I do, I can't bite I better just behave.
I would continue to do what she hates the most at home. Lift her tail 8 times a day if you have to, if you have a pen light you could practice shinning it into her eyes and her holding still. Lots and lots of treats too.
Also if one of the drs or techs are better with your dog request them! I do many nail trims that request me, or there are other techs that get requested. It does seem to help if the dog remembers the people, they seem less stressed overall.
I did some training with one of the clients and her rottweiler, now every time he has me as a tech and we still muzzle him but last time he just fell down and let me do what we needed to do.
My older dog threw a fit, growled and fought for the first couple years of his life at vets. Now luckily I have been at the same clinic for 4 yrs. We have done eye tests to him, we have taken blood, vaccines he is nearly perfect.
Make sure you know how to restrain her yourself. That makes a world of difference. Sometimes I find the best restrainers are ones that the animal cannot get away from. All dogs put up a fight at some point, if you let them struggle away they will try harder next time. Usually when I have to deal with a difficult dog I stand my ground with them, if whatever we were doing needed the dog laying down, well its gonna stay there still I say get up. I don't let them slip away from me and then try to redo the restraint. If you are close with the staff see if a good tech can tech you some restraint and you can practice at home as a game.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Bianca CGC TT HIC Thd ♥, Dec 14 8:12 pm

Behavior & Training > Back off growl - not sure!?

Rascal

Silly

Barked: Mon Dec 2, '13 10:28am PST 
I think if it is a means business growl she should be told down and off the couch, and not allowed up until she goes and rests somewhere else for a while. If it is a serious growl she shouldn't be allowed to stay up there and protect you.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Rascal, Dec 2 10:28 am

Tucker

SQUIRREL! !

Barked: Mon Dec 2, '13 10:26am PST 
I am a tech and I feel like some dogs belong on the floor, and have had arguments about this with my dr. First off if they want to be wiggly there is no way I can help them stay on the table and sit still ( i weigh 130 lbs myself and am NOT strong!)
I have had owners lift lips and open mouths for me, because usually if I can't you can.
If you think standing on the ground would be less stressful try teaching her to stand on command. Most dogs buckle up when their abdomen or tail is touched. You can do that type of exam on her at home just feel up and down her belly, lift her tail stroke her back legs. That may help her get used to the idea.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Bianca CGC TT HIC Thd ♥, Dec 14 8:12 pm

Behavior & Training > Please allow me to be mad for a second!

Rascal

Silly

Barked: Mon Dec 2, '13 10:19am PST 
There is a guy in my area. Calls himself Chuck the dog whisperer. You can actually youtube him too! Anyways. I train dogs myself. I have seen this guy in person and tortured myself into watching his videos too.
In my opinion, he has watched every ceaser milan episode and then decided he can do it to. I like ceaser, mostly the reading dogs body language part which in turn makes anyone a good trainer. If you can't understand what a dog is saying you shouldn't be training.
So this guy does everything ceaser does, but while watching his videos its obvious that he never actually connects with the dog, the dog is still exhibiting the same problems, and hasn't changed one bit. Im thinking next time I see him in public I may just tell him he is a joke. I also saw him at an expo event parading peoples dogs around with a slip lead and basically choking the crap out of them. Arg I feel you
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Sarah, CW-SR, CW-G1, CGC, Dec 3 3:08 pm

Dog Health > GIARDIA
Tucker

SQUIRREL! !

Barked: Mon Dec 2, '13 10:07am PST 
We had a bout of normal formed poos with blood and mucus at the end for about a month. We did two fecals, the food was the same and no vomiting. Went to a s p e c i a l i st for another opinion (which he was no help. Finally the Dr and I decided that we were going to try panacur 2 treatments for 7 days 3 weeks apart. Its not been over 1 month and no more blood or mucus. I also have him on vetri science probiotic capsules ( I may keep him on them for life). He seems well. In my case its more then likely he could have picked up giardia. Right before it started we were at vet, then a petstore, then a field where he grabbed something tasty from the ground. Then 2 days later bam blood in his poo. Never diarrhea though, which made it more confusing.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Tucker, Dec 2 10:07 am

(Page 1 of 20: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.