Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 196: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > Progressive Angiomatosis
Max

Somewhere there- is something I- can eat..

Barked: Wed Feb 23, '11 8:41pm PST 
I'm sorry, no, but I also wanted to offer a hug and my support. hug
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Feb 23 9:44 pm

Food & Nutrition > Dog Food for a dog that cant tolerate Rice
Max

Barked: Sat Jan 22, '11 4:38pm PST 
I'd pick the Natural Balance out of those two.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jan 26 7:50 am

Dog Health > Boxer/amstaff is too skinny and wont gain weight

Max

Barked: Sat Jan 22, '11 4:34pm PST 
I also want to say that make sure you're measuring exactly how much food you're giving him. The reason this is important is because you said "7 cups" but are these dry cups? Remember, the liquid and dry measurements are different, and make sure you're using a full cup scoop. Now, if you are and it's still 7 full cups a day, then I agree. It's unlikely he really needs that many calories.

At any rate, I hope you see improvement with the enzyme, but if you do you're going to have to back off that food very quickly or he'll get overweight. His stomach is used to X amount of food and you're likely going to be cutting it in half. Stock up on some canned NSA green beans or something similar to give him a low calorie filler until he's used to eating less. Don't let him trick you into thinking he needs more food. He's hungry all right, but he doesn't need all those calories.

On the flip side, it's possible his metabolism is extremely high. In which case, I'd look into some high calorie high fat food toppers like hamburger. So, if you don't see improvement with the enzyme, then don't panic. It could still just be that he's extrememly active and burns it off.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Jan 24 7:27 pm

Dog Health > Bath after Surgery

Max

Barked: Sat Jan 22, '11 4:27pm PST 
what about putting a plastic bag over his foot and using vet tape to keep it closed. It's not a perfect solution- and you'd need to be really quick but it should stop the wound from getting too wet. Just make sure you dry him off really well.

Just want to clarify for everyone else, though- if the dog has stitches or an open wound baths are pretty much always a no-no. I used a damp towel on Max to give him a "sponge bath" after his surgery.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jan 23 11:59 am

Food & Nutrition > Dog Food for a dog that cant tolerate Rice

Max

Barked: Tue Jan 18, '11 11:09pm PST 
Is it possible for you to feed Raw? Depending on sales, that is often the same price or less plus you'll be able to control exactly what he's eating. Other than that, would it be possible for you to hit a Costco once a month or something? Kirkland's brand dog food is decent, and they have a grain free line.

eta: Kirkland's upfront cost will be more than your budget, but I think it's a 40 or 50lb bag so it'll be lasting you a lot longer.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Jan 26 7:50 am

Dog Health > Microchip?
Max

Barked: Mon Jan 17, '11 6:08pm PST 
personally, I think any risks are far outweighed by the benefits if something happens to your pup. All of my animals are chipped, and they haven't had any side effects. There's always rumors of dogs with tumors at injection sites, etc, but I've never heard of an example of that in real life- just online.
[notify]
» There has since been 77 posts. Last posting by , Jan 25 4:55 pm

Max

Barked: Mon Jan 17, '11 5:59pm PST 
I think Holly said it best, yes he's a little thin, but you can't see ribs in the pictures, and you only see his vertebrae in the one shot- could be he's arching his back? Or do you see them when he is standing or laying normally? My only issue is the amount of food- honestly, it is a huge amount to be feeding of wellness core. If you were feeding that much puppy chow or something I wouldn't be surprised, but Core is fairly dense. I would also consider another food and want to throw Orijen and Acana back out there. Acana has nearly as much calories per cup as Orijen but is a bit cheaper. I pay $60 for a 30lb bag (I think it's actually 29lbs or something) of Acana and Max eats 2 level scoops a day to maintain his weight. When he was a puppy (under 2 years) he ate about 3 cups a day, but now he's less active.

I would also like to recommend adding in some walks. They're great for excercise and discipline, and will tire him out a lot faster than the "zoomies" do. It will also help him put on a bit of muscle, which will make him look less skinny. Plus, he'll be so happy to get out and get moving. It's good for the people, too. smile

edited to add: and btw, I've also had people approach me and ask about my dog's weight. One guy even asked how I had the nerve to bring my starved dog to the dog park (when Max was about 14months)... I just rolled my eyes and walked away from him. My dogs are active and healthy and eat well. They were all very lean/skinny until after their second birthdays. Xena weighs 48lbs, is 3 and is still a battle to keep weight on. She still eats about 3 cups a day (a full cup more than Max does and she weighs 20lbs less then him) and honestly if she lost any weight at all she'd be underweight. Sam's the same way, though he's really starting to fill out now. I don't like fat dogs, and breeds like this tend to just get a belly without gaining weight anywhere else. Give him some time, and always expect to get commends about your dog being skinny. Better lean and healthy then overweight with joint issues.
[notify]
» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by , Jan 24 7:27 pm

Max

Barked: Mon Jan 17, '11 1:50pm PST 
I'm not that tech savvy... I usually just post it on his page.
[notify]
» There has since been 37 posts. Last posting by , Jan 24 7:27 pm

Dog Health > Please help me figure out whats wrong with Buster.

Max

Barked: Mon Jan 17, '11 1:48pm PST 
Adam, and I'm not saying that you're wrong, either. I just wanted to be clear to the OP that it's possible. I don't know what the testing would cost for Autoimmune, but I can't help but think that it'd be better for Buster if it's allergies. Simpler to treat, I would think. My fear is that it would turn out to be an environmental allergy. I was watching DogTown a while back and this poor pup (who's skin issues sound similar to this case) and it turned out the dog was allergic to things like trees. In his case, relocating to DogTown and meds helped him immensely. Of course, hopefully it's not something that drastic or severe, although if it is allergies even then it's a pretty bad case. I just hope the OP and Buster can get some answers and some relief. Speaking of DogTown, call around and ask some of the animal rescues. Some of them might have a vet willing to work with you on pricing as well.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jan 17 9:59 pm

Dog Health > ugh demodex
Max

Barked: Mon Jan 17, '11 1:42pm PST 
err... define "crazy expensive." When Xena had Demodex the Ivermectin shot was about $40. Now granted, I'm sure Violet is much larger and so needs a larger dose- but I can't see how that is "crazy expensive." We're not talking thousands of dollars here or likely even hundreds. I've no problem with people trying holistic remedies or anything like that or trying to save money, but I don't get it if you just don't want to pay for the shot for something that might clear it up on the first round and prevent it from getting worse. Sorry, but I think that's irresponsible. I'm not trying to be offensive, and I hope you understand what I mean here- if you don't have the money it's one thing (or because you prefer a holistic approach)- but to just not do it because you think it's too expensive is ... well, irresponsible.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 17 3:49 pm

(Page 1 of 196: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.