Postings by AA's Ultra-Violet's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 24: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > rear end awareness: where to start?
AA's- Ultra-Violet

UKC Super Dog- #60, CGC, TDI

Barked: Thu Jul 5, '12 8:42am PST 
This is mostly used for obed, but I found it also really helped with agility turns and bar knocking.

"Pot Work"
This can be started at any age.
1. Find a pot or bowl large enough for the dog to comfortably put both front feet on, but small enough that they can't move the feet forward, backward, or side to side without falling off. Don't use a pot so tall that the dog can get hurt when they do fall off because they will, at least at first.
2. Teach the dog to step up on the pot with both front feet. This may be really easy, or it may be hard depending on the age/training level of the dog. Go at your dogs pace, this is supposed to be fun.
3. Once the dog will step up and stand on the pot, get the dog to take a step or two "around" the pot. This does work best from a heel position, and going to the right does seem to be easier to start. By having the front feet on the pot, you are removing the front end from the equation and are forcing the rear to work independently. If the dog does try to turn using the front, they fall off the pot. If they fall off, no big deal. Just start over. Work up to doing several "rotations".
5. Same thing, just other direction.
4. Keep these sessions short and sweet. Tv comercial breaks are perfect and lots of rewards. This exercise doesn't require much space, just enough for you dog to turn in a circle so it can be done almost anywhere.

Want to change it up? Do the same thing only have the dog put their back feet on the pot!
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Lupi, Jul 12 10:17 am

Behavior & Training > tracking
AA's- Ultra-Violet

Barked: Thu Jul 5, '12 8:02am PST 
The first thing is to decide what type of tracking you want to do.
AKC, IPO, Nosework (detection), or SAR (search and rescue).
AKC and IPO are fairly similar and can be started the same way.

Then find a club in your area. There is no better way to learn tracking than to find someone that knows how.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by AA's Ultra-Violet, Jul 5 8:02 am

American Pit Bull Terrier > APBTs pulling weights Isn't inhumane!

AA's- Ultra-Violet

Barked: Sat May 12, '12 6:42pm PST 
I didn't start Violet until she was 2yrs old. It didn't have any negative impact on her overall competitive performance. If you wait, just make sure if your pup ever wears a harness of any type Never correct them for pulling on the leash. After all, this is what harnesses are for. Before you start any type of training, go to your vet and have hip and elbow x-rays done to make sure your dog can handle high impact sports.

The most important part of weight pulling is getting your dog accustomed to having thing "following" them. Also getting them acclimated to loud, weird noises is very important. During an event it can be very loud with the sounds of the cart, the crowd, blocks clinking, people talking, dogs barking, people shouting....etc.

Go to an event in your area without your pup and watch what goes on and talk to some of the competitors. Most people are friendly and are usually happy to help a newbe out!

Best of luck to you! Violet LOVES weight pull! It's the only sport that she can use her brute strength fully and be rewarded for it.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Dyno, Feb 10 4:03 pm

American Pit Bull Terrier > Advantix

AA's- Ultra-Violet

Barked: Wed Nov 24, '10 3:03pm PST 
I like Frontline. It is rated to control fleas for 3 mths and ticks for 1 mth. I'm more comfortable with this because I am not putting chemicals on my animals every mth. I alternate Heartgard and Interceptor for heartworm prev every mth.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Kolbe, Nov 29 3:02 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > does this personality and activity level combination not exist in a breed?

AA's- Ultra-Violet

Barked: Wed Nov 24, '10 2:53pm PST 
That fits my girls to a T! Willing to go out and work all day long in whatever task I have planned, but if the weather is bad for a few days and we are stuck inside she can be a mellow couch potato too. All dogs have individual personalities, it's just very hard to find exactly what you want. Just about any breed of dog can have these traits on an individual basis.
[notify]
» There has since been 41 posts. Last posting by Lauryn, Dec 4 11:08 am

Sports & Agility > Backyard Exercise?
AA's- Ultra-Violet

Barked: Mon Oct 25, '10 8:08pm PST 
I love the treadmill!!!! It's great when it gets too cold to venture outside in the winter.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by ♥ Mya ♥, Nov 3 5:01 pm

Sports & Agility > Okay, What are my options now?

AA's- Ultra-Violet

Barked: Mon Oct 25, '10 8:06pm PST 
I know UKC does, but I don't think APA or IWPA do.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Tanuk CGC , Nov 17 4:22 pm

Sports & Agility > Lure coursing for nonshighthounds

AA's- Ultra-Violet

Barked: Mon Oct 25, '10 7:34pm PST 
The UKC has opened up lure coursing to all breeds. I don't know of anything specific but you may want to do a search in their upcoming events for lure coursing in your area.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by AA's Ultra-Violet, Oct 25 7:34 pm

Sports & Agility > Argh! Going crazy...

AA's- Ultra-Violet

Barked: Mon Aug 2, '10 1:24pm PST 
I just wanted to rant for a minute. It's going to be over a month between trials and I think I'm gonna lose my mind from the boredom! It's only been two weeks and I need something else to do! I'm almost training timed out! I even went to an AKC show with my mom (Vi can't do AKC) just to get a dog show fix BOL. How does everyone else occupy their days when there is a long stretch in between shows/trials?
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Jersey, Aug 16 6:28 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Dog show Mecca
AA's- Ultra-Violet

Barked: Wed Jul 14, '10 10:22pm PST 
Here in the Mid-West (MI,OH,IN)there is some type of trial/show/event every weekend! Heck, I even have a hard time deciding which one to go to laugh out loud On some weekends my mom has been known to do CPE on Fri, AKC on Sat and UKC on Sun!! So far I haven't had to travel more than 3 hours for a UKC event(with the exception of Premier... 4 1/2 hrs) on any given weekend and I live in SE Michigan. (I only do UKC stuff) Although I do plan to venture out to PA in a few weeks (6 hrs), but I'm allstars point chasing shh But then again I'm weird and happily drive 2 hours just for training!red face

*edited because I am apparently directionally challenged tonight.....
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Tanuk CGC , Jul 20 10:39 am

(Page 1 of 24: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.