Postings by Taser's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 103: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Any advice on how to not bark at cars?
BALOO

Sniffy Pants- Baloo

Barked: Wed Jun 27, '12 12:43pm PST 
The sitting may be the problem as it allows her to focus on the car approaching try to keep her moving and focused on food or a toy while the car is approaching instead.

You can also use positive punishment training such as a spray bottle for the barking, fine mist 12 inches away straight into the muzzle. A bit of vinegar or lemon in the water helps. Or stick to the positive training using reward and clicker. I love using high reward food, or squeaky toys for this type of distraction training.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Trigger, Jun 30 6:08 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Dose it upset U when know it all people start telling U how to take care of Ur dog?
BALOO

Sniffy Pants- Baloo

Barked: Mon Jun 18, '12 11:08am PST 
I agree with Happy. Not worth the aggravation. Make an excuse to leave the situation.

You can even train your dog to give you the excuse especially when indoors. Have him do a simple nose nudge to alert an easy excuse to toilet him. Excellent excuse to leave any situation.

I have been in situations where I have just walked away though becasue they won't stop and they follow so I just continue walking until they leave me alone.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Jun 19 7:30 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Question about Certification if leaving US

BALOO

Sniffy Pants- Baloo

Barked: Mon Apr 23, '12 7:12am PST 
Ontario, Canada no longer requires certification unless it is a Guide Dog. A letter from a Doctor or RN is all that is required. The dog must only be "readily apparent" as a service dog. Wearing a harness or vest identifying the dog as a service dog.

Please read the Customer Service Standard Guide Section on Service Dogs and Attendents. www.aoda.ca
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , Apr 30 12:52 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Harness Help Please

BALOO

Sniffy Pants- Baloo

Barked: Wed Apr 11, '12 3:30pm PST 
My Bouvier never grew up...

Now I'm not sure what will be the best mobility harness for us as he is very small. Approx 26-27" chest, Wither height 24" and my hip height is 30" so would need about 6"handle for stability and balance.

Would prefer leather.

I am canadian and would be shipping across border so I would have extra costs and I am very low income on disability.

Also, would like to know if it would be cheaper if I shipped to someone in the states and carried across border in luggage. I may be able to arrange this with a friend, who travels to California in May to see family.

Thanks for your help.hail
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Polly, Apr 13 11:49 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Escalators

BALOO

Sniffy Pants- Baloo

Barked: Sat Feb 11, '12 10:22am PST 
I agree that Escalators are a danger to SD's.
It's not only the nails that can get stuck in the teeth of the steps but it has also been known to happen that fur and or pads get caught while stepping on or off the escalator which can cause permanent damage to the paw and forced retirement of the SD. With ADA law in the USA and the laws in Canada, there should always be an elevator. Your dog will thank you.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Feb 17 4:32 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Realizing how committed you are to your dog
BALOO

Sniffy Pants- Baloo

Barked: Sat Feb 11, '12 10:10am PST 
Yes, I have experienced this. At the time my dog was just a pet not an SD, but I used a wood 2x4 to hit a 160lbs malamute that had my 60lb shepherd X head in it's mouth. There were puncture wounds but no serious damage to my Leroy. The Malamute belonged to my landlord and was jealous about lack of attention as his master was away on business.

I moved a week later.

I know I would step in to protect my dog at anytime no matter what or whom was threatening him. I'd probably do the same for any animal whether it belonged to me or not.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Crazy Sadie Lady, Feb 13 9:18 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > What does he serve?

BALOO

Sniffy Pants- Baloo

Barked: Tue Jan 3, '12 12:26pm PST 
My favorite is when parents tell their children they are not supposed to pet that dog... but it's okay because that lady can't see you...

Then I turn around and say ... Excuse me but I can hear you even if I couldn't see you... but I'm not blind either!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by S'N'S Geronimo's Revenge, Jan 11 4:59 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > Your top 5...

BALOO

Sniffy Pants- Baloo

Barked: Tue Jan 3, '12 12:21pm PST 
@ Gypsy...

I have to agree with you on the Tail thing Gypsy. I have worked with dogs both with and with out Tails and it is easier to read a dog with a tail but you do get used to your dogs body language if they don't have one. My Bouvier has a stubby tail and prick ears and I can still read his body language I just need to pay a little more attention especially when his fur is long.

I DO have a preference for sex though. I prefer males... although I have known many great female dogs in my life, I do have a personal preference for male dogs.

Breed is not of real importance to me although a larger breed for mobility easy to train and an affinity for herding or guarding is my preference.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Jan 3 5:28 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > PSD programs & help for PSD owner-trainers

Taser

R.I.P.

Barked: Wed Sep 28, '11 10:39am PST 
Yes, Diamond in the Ruff Medical Dogs is no longer in business and the Head Trainer has opened a new business called Custom Trained Canines.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS COMPANY!!!!

I have previously worked with the trainer, who can train dogs but is a poor business person. This company currently has both complaints against them with the better business bureau in Ontario for failing to provide invoices and receipts, and complaints against them with the Canadian Kennel Club Regulatory Department for failure to provide CKC registered papers on a purebred puppy they sold as a breeders liaison through Custom Trained Canines.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Happy, Sep 29 2:18 pm

Service & Therapy Dogs > How many people here have PTSD and a service dog?
Taser

R.I.P.

Barked: Mon Aug 29, '11 2:04pm PST 
My SD does the above mentioned tasks as well as:
grounding techniques to get me back in the here and now, such as fetch or head in my lap to pet. Also he does blocking to keep people out of my personal space... I like to call it crowd control...lol My SD is also trained to guide for those times when I just am not quite with it so I don't go wandering into traffic... can't always trust drivers on the roads or in parking lots. He also does balance and stability work as sometimes I get dizzy from meds and have physical problems with my nervous system, and my back hips or knees can go at any time.
Hope that helps and good luck.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Embyr - Service Dog, Sep 13 8:09 am

(Page 1 of 103: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.