Postings by Cheri's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 45: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Sports & Agility > AKC agility trial questions
Kenzie

Flyin to the- Moon/Playing- with the Stars

Barked: Thu Jul 14, '11 8:41pm PST 
We jumped into competing very early in agility--I started just 2 months after I started agility lessons. My sis Cheri started trialing after just a couple of months, too. That's why they call it novice!!! Anyway, we had fun, and did better than Mom ever expected. All dogs are different though--your pawrents should know when you are ready, though it is common for pawrents to never thing we are ready, when in reality, we are!

A suggestion is to try to find a fun match and give it a try there if you are not up to a real trial.

Prong collars are definitely not allowed at AKC events. Never heard anything abut head collars, though.

Good luck, and happy trialing.

Kenz
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Skye, Aug 4 1:14 pm

Sports & Agility > New AKC Leash Rule
Kenzie

Barked: Mon Jun 1, '09 12:45pm PST 
We only do a couple of AKC agility trial weekends per year, our last one (until this past weekend), was in December 08. The way I learned about the new leash rule was by seeing a dog that ran before me get an "E" in Open FAST after completing a beautiful run, hitting all the obstacles on the course and coming in under time. I would have been guilty of the same thing, as I always in the past have picked up my dog and got out of the ring before leashing to save time for the judge. As it was, learning it the way I did saved my butt and also we got the blue ribbon!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by MACH4 PACH2 Aslan, Jun 1 3:05 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Hey Pups! What was your name Pre-Adoption?

Kenzie

Barked: Tue Feb 10, '09 10:13pm PST 
Mom got me at age 6 months - my name had been "Dally". Mom changed it to Kenzie, for sentimental reasons and also she did not want a potential agility dog to have a name like Dally as in Dilly-Dally. Turns out I am a speedy agility dog, that would not have fit me at all. I love my name--I am named after mom's Dad, who was named Ken.
[notify]
» There has since been 44 posts. Last posting by Joey Diego - CGC, Therapy Dog, Jan 25 7:51 pm

Sports & Agility > Aslan gets MACH2!

Kenzie

Barked: Sun Sep 28, '08 9:12pm PST 
A big congratulations to you, Aslan!! Guess you went to Ponca City!!! We will see you in December in Tulsa, hopefully.

--Kenzie (and Cheri)
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by MACH4 PACH2 Aslan, Oct 1 2:55 pm

Sports & Agility > starting my 2 dogs in agility

Cheri

A borrowed dog- that stole Mom's- heart

Barked: Mon Jul 21, '08 8:28am PST 
Actually, our practice jumps for at home are not like the trial ones at all, but they work well for us for training and practice, and it does not seem to make much difference. Mom has trained 3 dogs on them. The side bars (verticals) of the jumps are just cut to the correct height and have a PVC elbow bracket connecting the horizontal bar to the side bars. The side bars go down and are connected with another PVC connector making a 'T", and (this is VERY important) the feet (the T part) are very short, no longer than 4 or 5 inches in length. Since the horizontal bar is fixed, the jumps need to be easily tipped over as to not injure the dog. The short feet accomplish this very well.

These jumps are very inexpensive and extremely easy to make - the biggest investment is the PVC cutters, and several jumps can be made in a short span of time.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Cheri, Jul 21 8:28 am

Choosing the Right Dog > suggestion On BREED??
Autumn

The One That- Started It All- 1975-1987

Barked: Sun Jul 20, '08 1:14pm PST 
Collies are quite nice, but what I have seen when taking obedience classes with them is that they can either be really smart or a real problem to train. With the popularity of Collies, there has been some irresponsible breeding that has caused some of this, so I would be sure to get a Collie from an established reputable breeder (do your homework to find one). The American Kennel Club website would be a good place to find a good breeder in your area.

I was also thinking that a Golden Retriever, Labrador, or even a Goldendoodle or a Labradoodle would be nice. And don't forget the Standard Poodle. They are quite intelligent and, to me, seem more laid back than their smaller counterparts.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Missie, Jul 28 10:55 am

Sports & Agility > starting my 2 dogs in agility

Kenzie

Barked: Sun Jul 20, '08 1:05pm PST 
First of all, don't get in a big hurry to be real good at it. It takes quite a while to learn handling, despite how good your dog is and how fast he or she catches on. Then in addition to that, you are training two dogs, and I would be willing to bet that they will have to be handled somewhat differently from each other. Our mom trains and trials with 2 dogs too, and we are very different. We have completely different problem areas and completely different areas where we are very good. I would recommend making a few simple jumps and a set of weave poles for home practice, because you will have more time at home to practice in addition to taking a class (which I also recommend). Just don't rush your dogs. Make everything fun for them - use lot of treats broken in small pieces so you can reward often without overfeeding. At our house, we view agility as "play". Keep your dogs at a good weight - a little on the lean side is better than a little heavy for agility.

And, here's a big one---we have found agility to be more rewarding and fun because Mom has not got caught up in wanting to win all the time or taking agility too seriously. You will have more fun (and will put less pressure on yourself and less stress on your dog) if you start each run thinking positively, but also having no expectations. Don't let mistakes get you down - learn from them instead. Attitude is everything as far as we are concerned.

Have fun!!! That's what it is all about, anyway.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Cheri, Jul 21 8:28 am

Grooming > What do you do with your dog's whiskers?

Cheri

A borrowed dog- that stole Mom's- heart

Barked: Tue Jul 15, '08 7:15am PST 
Hunt and play??? Maybe hunt??? But we all do agility and play rigorously without whiskers. Kenzie "hunts" squirrels fine, too! We do not need whiskers to tell us where we are or to keep our balance. Maybe some dogs do and some don't. We like the feminine look that a clean face gives us.

--Cheri
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Jul 25 10:49 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > My heart is breaking...

Saebra

Forever Missed- 1988-2001

Barked: Tue Jul 15, '08 7:10am PST 
Welcome to the bridge. And welcome to the "lucky ones" club - the pets who had loving homes with caring people. You are so special and will always hold a special place in each of your family members' hearts.

--Saebrahughughug
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Chip, Aug 21 7:30 am

Sports & Agility > Mastering the dog walk
Kenzie

Barked: Sun Jul 13, '08 3:15pm PST 
Amen, Aslan!!!

I also want to add that Mom's first two dogs each actually took an opportunity (only one time each) to JUMP off the top of the dogwalk - and it wasn't because they were afraid. Both dogs had mastered the dogwalk when they tried this "experimentation". Had they been on leash when it happened, it could have made a bad situation worse. Both instances happened in training, and the luckiest of the two dogs did it on grass, and got right back up after it happened. The other one, Cheri, landed hard on her shoulder on concrete with a thin mat over it. Both dogs were adults and around 5 years old. Neither of them ever did that again.

We were lucky - when Cheri landed on her shoulder on the mat on concrete, it stunned her and scared Mom, but fortunately she was not hurt and Mom actually had to put her on a leash to keep her from going back up on the dog walk that day. It didn't traumatize her, thankfully, but she never did it again. Most are not so lucky.

Please keep your young dog off the full height dogwalk. Like Aslan said, there is a lot of contact training that can be done on a low dogwalk. An accident like we had could very easily cause permanent injury, especially to a young dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by MACH ADCH Lilliana TQX, Nov 11 10:59 am

(Page 1 of 45: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.