Postings by Kita- Adopted! :)'s Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 24: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > How long do dogs in Heat bleed?
Anita

Barked: Sat May 30, '09 12:25pm PST 
Unfortunately I noticed when she was really bleeding. Akitas are a very low energy breed. So she has her "place" in the hallway. She just likes to snooze there. So I guess she was bleeding there, and licking it up off herself and the floor (she just likes to lick the floor so I didn't think anything of it). I noticed a little bit of blood on the floor a couple days ago but she has scratched or chewed her self to the point of bleeding before (we are going to get her skin tested in a few months after we have paid off her ACL surgery) so I didn't think too much about that either. I think she was probably bleeding significantly but was licking it off of herself and the floor. When I looked in the crate I noticed there was large bloody splotches on the bed. I didn't notice because she is currently blowing her coat and I thought it was just large dark hair balls until I looked closer.

I dunno, maybe I'm just dense red face

Anyway, I'm going to schedule her spay with our SPCA and I'm sure they won't have an open appointment for a month anyway.

I can't believe I have to buy 3 weeks worth of dogy diapers! Poor Anita. If its not one thing, its another with her.

Thanks for the responses! I've NEVER had any animal in heat before as I always have rescues and I s/n. I feel pretty clueless about this!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Syddalee, May 30 1:59 pm

Dog Health > How long do dogs in Heat bleed?
Anita

Barked: Fri May 29, '09 5:41pm PST 
Let me start with I have NO intention of EVER breeding! I thought Anita was fixed, the vet found a spay scar, but now she is bleeding... so I guess not. I know I'm suppose to wait a month to get her spayed. I just want to know how long she is going to be bleeding? I just ran out to the store and bought dogy diapers. This is a surprise I just wasn't expecting! I guess I should be happy she didn't come preggers! eek
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Syddalee, May 30 1:59 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Trying to help a neglected dog

Josie

Hurricane- Katrina Eyes =- Hand over food

Barked: Fri Sep 12, '08 6:23pm PST 
You didn't steal him. He already liberated himself from that house and was out there looking for help. You found him help. And he may be the "messenger" so to speak, to save the other dogs. The dogs appericate it. I'm sure he hasn't had a proper bath before and will feel sooo much better. Thankyou for caring and doing the right thing. Dogs shouldn't have to suffer.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Raffael, Oct 23 11:03 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Advice for finding a lost dog?

Josie

Barked: Mon Aug 18, '08 1:50pm PST 
I'm not sure if its better to list the reward price or not. Put age of the dog, weight. Neutered/unneutered. As much info as you possibly can to describe his physical appearance
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by The Wee Beasties, Aug 18 5:03 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > An adopter who seems to ignore breed characteristics?

Josie

Barked: Mon Aug 18, '08 10:10am PST 
Just wanted to add that I don't believe that anyone should EVER declaw a cat.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Josie, Aug 18 10:10 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > An adopter who seems to ignore breed characteristics?
Josie

Barked: Mon Aug 18, '08 10:04am PST 
Honestly without seeing the house and seeing how the cats are cared for, you can't say its a hoarder situation or not. I've known plenty of people who went a pound and pulled large number of animals, they get vet care, they are normally adopted out. Yes this lady kept the cats, but she didn't go back every weekend and do the same thing over and over again and keeping them all- that would worry me. Its a high number to adopt at once, I'll give ya that. But again, if the cats are in a CLEAN safe environment, getting proper attention and food and vet care... there's nothing wrong with it. I can see the red flag of caution but not enough evidence here to really judge.

Cats that are declawed can survive just fine outside, though I don't like seeing any cats thrown outside. They use their back claws and their teeth more. You are more likely to get bit by a cat that has no front claws than a cat with front claws. Cats can still be highly successful hunters outside without front claws. My cousins cat use to bring them home birds and mice without any problem, much to their displeasure.

Feral cats have the same life expectancy as house cats. Meaning outside feral cats are living to be in their 20s. Not all of them do, neither do all house cats, but on average, feral cats can survive just as long as house cats- which means just because they are old doesn't mean they will just die outside. Feral cats should not be put down in shelter systems and unfortunately they are by well meaning people trying to give them a "good death" and in my humble, cat loving, feral cat care giver opinion, they do not give them a good death just death.

I am not saying all house cats should be put outside, there is a difference between feral cats and house cats. Indoor house cats should stay indoor house cats, I've heard too many sad stories of house cats getting hit by cars when at the age of 10 their owners suddenly decided to make them indoor/out door cats- which is sadly stupid.

But anyway, I'm not saying this lady should adopt a pit either. She probably doesn't know what she is getting into with just a dog- heck I didn't. Dogs require so much more work than cats. But if she does really want a dog and she has really examined her money situation and the size of her living environment and the time she has and the time a dog will require she should start small with an easier dog than a pitty. Perhaps a mix breed, adult that is already good with kitties.

Maybe the best advice I can give here, is tell her her cats would be happier hogging all of her attention and not having to share it with a dog. A cat person may hear better what her cats want than perhaps dog facts. shrug With that many cats I do think its better she just keep with her cats for now.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Josie, Aug 18 10:10 am

Josie

Barked: Fri Aug 15, '08 8:44pm PST 
wow. Dog people are crazy. laugh out loud

I love dogs, I really do. But they are just NOT cats. I can't live without cats. And your responses are soooo dog people responses, not cat people responses.

Anyway, having 20 cats isn't like having 20 dogs. Cats require a lot less work. If the house SMELLS clean and the cats are well cared for it is workable. I wouldn't a specific number for hoarding. Hoarding is just *abuse* in large numbers. If there is no abuse, you are just cat crazy, but a good responsible owner. And I don't think you need to buy super expensive food to be considered responsible.

If you have a FIV or a Feline leukemia positive cat, here's reality for ya- most *non-kills* euthanize kittens that come in positive and I'd be surprised if one in a kill shelter got adopted instead of murdered. The thing is, FINDING someone willing to take on a cat like that is HIGHLY unlikely. I had a feline leukemia positive kitty once, I found outside- the s/n clinic asked if I wanted him killed. I said no way. I had to keep him separate from my other animals, and I finally found a sanctuary to take him. But its RARE that one will. If you have a cat with FIV or Feline Leukemia the odds of it getting adopted are EXTREMELY low, and at some point you are going to have to say- Am I willing to keep this cat or do I put it down? Letting it live is nicer than most cats with one of those diseases get. Keeping it in a separate room ensures the other cats won't catch it. Its mostly passed through saliva. Cats sleep 80% of their life. They don't have the attention needs that dogs have.

As far as the dog stuff goes- yes she is clearly a cat lady and thats why she doesn't understand dog breeds.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Josie, Aug 18 10:10 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Advice for finding a lost dog?

Josie

Barked: Thu Aug 14, '08 7:32am PST 
Post him lost on Craigs List.

Visit your local pounds as he may be at one. You should actually go to the pound because often times pounds miss identifying your dog correctly. Also bring in a picture for the pounds to keep so that they can better identify your dog.

Post flyers in local vet offices.

Most importantly on ALL flyers say "CALL IF YOU HAVE EVEN SEEN HIM" that way you can figure out what areas to look in. Also write REWARD on your flyers to discourage anyone who found him from keeping him.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by The Wee Beasties, Aug 18 5:03 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Something's bugging me...

Josie

Barked: Wed Aug 13, '08 12:42pm PST 
Lucy the pamplet is a great idea yay!

I think on the communication aspect the easiest thing would have been to ask at that very moment the conversation occured, "Why didn't we tell them before they put in an application that we don't adopt during pregancy or major life changes etc?" (I am saying this mainly because someone said asking was scary, and I don't think it is, its just informative)

Best of luck to ya Lucy! I think you are on the right track smile
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by King Jackal Jackson, Oct 7 7:17 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Something's bugging me...
Josie

Barked: Tue Aug 12, '08 10:22am PST 
My concern is that this isn't being discussed in the rescue group. Lucy you are sort of new to volunteering if I remember correctly, and its fine you don't understand how everything works in your rescue. But the only way to find out- is to ask *the rescue*. So while we are hearing what you percieve it is NOT the whole picture and I'm afraid many people are taking it that way.

Is it wrong to be nice to people and then turn them down? Nope. Is it wrong to turn them down in an offensive way? Yes. At this point this is just a debate over WHEN they should be turned down. Folks, we don't know if the girls talking had the AUTHORITY to turn them down or if they were just talking to each other. We don't know if the rescue has ONE specific person ONLY doing rejections (so they are all done appropriately) or not. We do NOT know how this rescue is run. And really I'm not comfortable judging them when they thought they were having a private conversation among themselves, which may or may not have been intended for Lucy but certainly not for us.

What I do see is a new volunteer with questions- which is GREAT! But we really can't answer them. Only the rescue can.

Rescue volunteers have many many raging emotions. Its hard not to when you get dogs stabed with knifes, dogs dumped because of babies.. well you know, you do it. Sometimes rescue people vent with each other. Personally I could care less about that. What is important is the PUBLIC face is always well displayed DISPITE personal feelings. So while this conversation shouldn't have occured where the public can hear it, I think them expressing concerns over the baby (which everyone has done here) is normal.

And I'm sorry I don't buy that people volunteer, foster and get dog hair stuck to everything they own because they are on a power trip. Personally I think there are better ways to go on a power trip that don't involve the inconvience of a dog. I think THAT attitude IS bad. People get stressed out, people get hurt when their dogs get dead, people are people who are human, but they join rescue because they want to help. Personalities may conflict, ideas may conflict but EVERYONE in rescue wants to save dogs, thats why they do it (unless of course they are saving cats, then its for cats smile )
[notify]
» There has since been 27 posts. Last posting by King Jackal Jackson, Oct 7 7:17 pm

(Page 1 of 24: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.