Postings by Leika's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

Contests and Vote For Me! > Tails of the Tundra Siberian Husky Rescue - Please help! :)
Leika

Me First, Me- First!!

Barked: Mon Sep 10, '12 11:44am PST 
Please vote for Tails of the Tundra Siberian Husky Rescue! cheer

We are in the running to win a $10,000 grant from Chase Community Giving! snoopy

As of today, we need 112+ more votes to get to 196th place where we'd win a $10,000 grant from Chase.

Voting only goes until Sept 19 - by then we'll need over 500 votes I'm guessing to be near 196th place.

https://apps.facebook.com/chasecommunitygiving/charity/vie w/ein/ 23-3040622?ref=a130a99ebb

Easy voting rules: https://fb.chasegiving.com/pages/voting-for-charities
LMK if you have questions on voting.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Rocky *CGC* With the angels., Sep 12 1:14 pm

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Dog shot to death at dog park
Leika

Me First, Me- First!!

Barked: Fri Aug 6, '10 12:33pm PST 
Bear Bear, the dog that was shot and killed by an off-duty federal officer in an off leash dog park, was a former foster of Tails of the Tundra Siberian Husky Rescue. www.siberescue.com

The local Anne Arundel County police at first tried to brush this under the rug without investigation. After much work from the community and dog lovers from around the country and even some other countries, the County leadership demanded a full investigation, which is currently underway.

News on Bear Bear has been on USAToday.com and cnn.com - national news as well as all over Baltimore, MD tv, radio, and print news, as well as Washington DC news.

Please go to the petition site to sign the petition to keep this investigation going until the truth is found, whatever it may be.
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/justice-foe-bear-bear

If you are on Facebook, there are 2 or 3 groups started...Justice for Bear Bear and Justice for Bear-Bear. You can follow the news there and even hear from Bear Bear's family.

Please help us get justice!
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Marlo, Oct 7 5:37 pm

Food & Nutrition > Have these dog treats been recalled (pics and info inside)

Leika

Me First, Me- First!!

Barked: Fri Nov 7, '08 7:22pm PST 
I wuv my buster cube!!! Mom sometimes gives me my dinner in it. way to go

I use a variety of things to keep Leika busy...bully sticks, pig ears, occasional rawhide, pig skin rolls, buster cube, Kong, Hide-A-Toys (squirrel, etc) and Egg Babies. The variety helps keep her busy and mentally stimulated.

Maybe more exercise will help the chewing down. (A tired dog is a good dog.) I have to take Leika for a minimum of 2 miles and then play inside with her for about 45 minutes before she's settled enough to let me sit on the computer for a little while.

Thanks for the info on the everlasting treat toy. Hadn't gotten around to looking further into it. And thanks to you, now I don't have to! wink
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Maci, Nov 9 11:01 pm

Food & Nutrition > Have these dog treats been recalled (pics and info inside)

Leika

Me First, Me- First!!

Barked: Fri Nov 7, '08 5:00pm PST 
What about Kong? You can refill it as often as you need...using your normal dog food or longer lasting recipes for frozen kong.

I've seen those "everlasting" treat toys. Never tried them, so don't know how long they last.

Bully Sticks...yes expensive, but only thing I can say is to buy longer ones.

Good luck! Let us know when you find that perfect chew!
smile
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Maci, Nov 9 11:01 pm

Dog Health > DESPERATE FOR HELP! Extermination of fleas has not worked, at wit's end!!

Leika

Me First, Me- First!!

Barked: Fri Sep 19, '08 5:45pm PST 
We recently had a run in with fleas. I use K9 Advantix regularly on Leika, but it didn't work - maybe because of the severity of the infestation where we spent the weekend. (Didn't realize til Sunday morning!) The only thing available at the stores nearby was FrontLine. It worked!!! Too be sure, since I'm very very sensitive to flea bites...it's been 3 weeks and my bites are finally starting to heal...I got Revolution a few days later. (I had given Leika a bath Sunday night when we got home to try to bring as few as possible into our house.

I sprayed the car, kept out of the bedroom to avoid spreading the fleas there, sprayed the house, used a flea comb on Leika, washed ALL pillows, blankets, sheets, clothes, anything washable. If it couldn't get wet, it went into the dryer on high. Mind you this is all prevention for me to keep my house flea free. I threw out toys that were with us at the flea infested place.

***Treat your yard!*** Try diatameceous (sp?) earth. It's supposed to be safe - unlike chemical sprays. You can use it on your carpets, in the corners/baseboards, etc.

Treat EVERYWHERE! Otherwise, the places you treated will only become reinfested from the untreated areas.

Yes, the flea stuff (K9 Advantix, FrontLine, Revolution, etc) doesn't keep the fleas off your dog - it kills them once they come in contact with it.

Sorry! I feel your pain! Just keep at it and eventually you will succeed. I've heard sometimes it takes months to get an all clear in REALLY bad infestations.

Good Luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Jasper ♥ RIP 5/29/13, Sep 21 9:28 am

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Congo & 3 others PTS for 2nd attack 6/18/08
Leika

Me First, Me- First!!

Barked: Wed Jun 18, '08 7:27pm PST 
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/06/german_shepherd_congo_invol ved.html

German shepherd Congo euthanized after another attack

"...had Congo and three of their other dogs euthanized this morning after the dogs attacked a relative visiting their home Tuesday, authorities said."

Another one...
http://www.nj.com/centraljersey/index.ssf/2008/06/policecong o_involved_in_anothe.html

I don't know what to say... "Congo's Law" seems to be a positive note from this situation.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Bridger, Jun 23 11:28 am

Dog Health > Wellness Exam with a new vet

Leika

Me First, Me- First!!

Barked: Thu May 8, '08 9:32am PST 
Good Question!!! I was wondering if it's ok to make an appt to just meet a new vet and talk with him/her. Heck, I'd be paying for it! Leika isn't in need of a vet visit now, but I...

Think it's time for us to find a new vet!! Our vet group...saw 3 different vets so far - in about 8 months - 1 wellness + shots visit & 2 shots visits. (Ugh! So many shots!!!)

The last vet tried to pull Leika's leash and almost let her pull out of her collar - Not even giving me a second to get her in the room. (*I*- Mom barked at him!) Then he leaned over top of her head (she was sitting on the floor) to give her the shot towards the back of her body. DUH! Of course she's going to back away from you!

Leika is my first dog/animal, first visit to this vet and I got none of those questions mentioned in previous posts. I had a few questions written down - (took those hints from going to the human doctor) and got those answered. But the vets certainly never offered any information or asked me anything.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Cracker, May 8 2:37 pm

Food & Nutrition > Canidae Price Increase?

Leika

Me First, Me- First!!

Barked: Tue May 6, '08 4:18pm PST 
The guy at the store I go to for Canidae told me that Canidae only raises their prices once a year, so this increase might look huge, but it's shouldn't go up any until next year.

OMD! Did u see the cost of pig ears? I usually get the Jones brand at $9.99 for 10. I thought it was a mistake when all the tags said $18.99. So I asked and the guy said it was true! And that some companies are considering doing away with the small/mid-size bags of them. It hurt a little getting a bunch all at once, but I bought 4 bags of another brand that was "on sale" because of the discontinuation of that bag size.

shrug Ow.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Jaxon, May 19 12:17 pm

Dogster Railroad > 2 legs remaining (107 miles)- This Saturday - Fredonia-Churchville, NY

Leika

Me First, Me- First!!

Barked: Thu May 1, '08 8:21am PST 
***PLEASE CROSS-POST***

TWO LEGS remaining to complete Chardon, OH to East Hartland, CT transport on May 3.
1- Fredonia, NY ~ Buffalo, NY
2 -Buffalo, NY ~ Churchville, NY

...even if you are not on route ...your contacts are invaluable!
**Please reply to: wolfdance3@msn.com**

Leg 3
Fredonia NY to Buffalo NY..............NEEDED!
49 miles/45 minutes (11:15 AM - 12:00 PM)
MAP: http://tinyurl.com/6ey79b

Leg 4
Buffalo NY to Churchville NY.............NEEDED!
58 miles/1 hour (12:15 PM - 1:15 PM)
MAP: http://tinyurl.com/5g6ks5

If you can help please email the following to:
Suzy Taylor
Transport Coordinator
WolfDance3@msn.com
Full name:
Home town with zip code:
Leg you are driving:
Home Phone:
Cell:
Vehicle make, model, color and license plate for ID purposes:
Email address:
Reference:

When you drive for rescue groups that are 501 C 3 non profit & file the long tax formyou can take a deduction for transport miles driven! Please see link below: http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0

Please don't let 2 short legs (total 107 miles) stop this Siberian Express!

This transport is for Feather and Levi........
....coming from a pound to rescue!

They are both from:
Stark County Dog Pound
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/OH175.html
Canton OH 330-451-2343

***Passenger 1***
Levi
Siberian Husky/Golden Lab mix
1 year old, 45 pounds
Neutered: yes
Shots: yes canine combo shot, kennel cough, rabies
Heartworm Status: negative
Traveling With: Medical paperwork and wearing a collar
Temperament: Very sweet little boy, likes other dogs

Receiving Rescue for Passenger 1
Husky Savers Inc
http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/NY449.html
Kim Morrell
hskysavr@rochester.rr.com
Churchville NY
585 576-1724 Cell

***Passenger 2***
Feather
White German Shepherd mix
1 year old, 40 pounds
Spayed: yes
Shots: yes canine combo shot, kennel cough, rabies
Heartworm Status: negative
Traveling With: Medical paperwork and wearing a collar
Temperament: Very sweet little girl

Receiving Rescue for Passenger 2
Bandit's Place http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/banditsplace.html
East Hartland CT
Liz Bennett
BanditsPlace1@aol.com
860-653-0558

This transport will be monitored!
**Both dogs in at boarding in Chardon OH**

Chardon Country Kennels
345 Claridon-Aquilla Road
Chardon OH 44024
440 285-2545
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Leika, May 1 8:21 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > awful web site
Leika

Me First, Me- First!!

Barked: Tue Apr 29, '08 7:27pm PST 
Was just alerted to this study today. It explains the CDC dog bite/fatality statistics...including explaining how those statistics can't really be used to support BSL. If it's too long for you...at least read the Discussion section at the end. I've pasted some bits of it here... Please alert others to use this study in their anti-BSL activities or even just for their own knowledge to understand what's going on with today's laws. Notice the CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHTS mentioned??? I think I'm going to print this out and mail it to my legislators!

Breeds of dogs involved in fatal human attacks
in the United States between 1979 and 1998

Jeffrey J. Sacks, MD, MPH; Leslie Sinclair, DVM; Julie Gilchrist, MD;
Gail C. Golab, PhD, DVM; Randall Lockwood, PhD
Vet Med Today: Special Report
JAVMA, Vol 217, No. 6, September 15, 2000

http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/duip/dogbreeds.pdf

Conclusions†”Although fatal attacks on humans appear to be a breed-specific problem (pit bull-type dogs and Rottweilers), other breeds may bite and cause fatalities at higher rates. Because of difficulties inherent in determining a dog’s breed with certainty,
enforcement of breed-specific ordinances raises constitutional
and practical issues. Fatal attacks represent a small proportion of dog bite injuries to humans and, therefore, should not be the primary factor driving public policy concerning dangerous dogs. Many practical alternatives to breed-specific ordinances exist and
hold promise for prevention of dog bites. (J Am Vet Med Assoc 2000;217:836–840)

Finally, it is imperative to keep in mind that even if breed-specific bite rates could be accurately calculated, they do not factor in owner related issues. For example, less responsible owners or
owners who want to foster aggression in their dogs may be drawn differentially to certain breeds.

When a specific breed of dog has been selected for stringent control, 2 constitutional questions concerning dog owners’ fourteenth amendment rights have been raised: first, because all types of dogs may inflict injury to people and property, ordinances addressing only 1 breed of dog are argued to be underinclusive and, therefore, violate owners’ equal protection rights; and second,
because identification of a dog’s breed with the certainty
necessary to impose sanctions on the dog’s owner is prohibitively
difficult, such ordinances have been argued as unconstitutionally vague, and, therefore, violate due process. Despite such concerns, a number of breed-specific ordinances have been upheld by the courts. 14-16

Another concern is that a ban on a specific breed might cause people who want a dangerous dog to simply turn to another breed for the same qualities they sought in the original dog (eg, large size, aggression easily fostered). Breed-specific legislation does not
address the fact that a dog of any breed can become dangerous when bred or trained to be aggressive. From a scientific point of view, we are unaware of any formal evaluation of the effectiveness of breed-specific legislation in preventing fatal or nonfatal dog bites.

An alternative to breed-specific legislation is to regulate
individual dogs and owners on the basis of their behavior.
[notify]
» There has since been 33 posts. Last posting by NINJA, Jul 27 3:38 pm

(Page 1 of 5: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.