GO!

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

Dog Health > Fermoal Head Ostectomy
Diesel

Living up to the- name 'Bulldog'

Barked: Wed Dec 10, '08 9:34am PST 
Thanks everyone.

Well, we have a surgery date scheduled for the 19th of January. It's not a guarantee he will be out of pain, but I figured at least we have to try. Due to the fact that the injury is old, and a lot of calcium has built up around it there's a 50% chance or so that it'll be successful. Either way, I feel like I need to try, for Diesel's sake. If it doesn't work, well, I might just have a three legged dog.

Thank you everyone, keep Diesel in your thoughts around the 19th. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Bonnie** I see the Rainbow**, Dec 10 3:24 pm

Dog Health > why is my dog so skinny?
Domino

Obeying you with- an attitude

Barked: Mon Dec 8, '08 7:47am PST 
Ask for a urine analysis. We had a dog come in once, she was losing weight, losing hair, just down right sickly but all her tests were normal. She wouldn't eat anything but she drank a ton of water. Turns out she had crystals in her bladder, if I remember correctly. Either way, I would definitely get a U.A. done. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Stormy Marie, Dec 14 6:39 pm

Diesel

Barked: Mon Dec 8, '08 7:05am PST 
Dang, apparently my picture didn't work. Well, here's a Link if you want to see it.
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Bonnie** I see the Rainbow**, Dec 10 3:24 pm

Diesel

Barked: Mon Dec 8, '08 7:04am PST 
So, due to idiots owning him before I got him, Diesel has a pretty serious injury.

There's a picture, and you can see his right hip is messed up. I talked to my vet about it and we have two options, do a femoral head ostectomy or keep him on an NSAID and gluscosamine for the rest of his life. The problem with the FHO is that since this injury is old, a lot of fibrous tissue has built up around it so it will be hard to get to. Also, he's an 80 lbs. dog, so he's way over the weight range given for a complication free FHO. He's adapted well, he doesn't limp or show any signs of pain, and he just kind of uses his right leg as a rudder. My vet said she didn't think it would be cruel to just leave him be and try and make him as comfortable as possible.

If you were in my shoes, what would you do? frown
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Bonnie** I see the Rainbow**, Dec 10 3:24 pm

Behavior & Training > Help Woody want let me cuddle with Hubby

Domino

Barked: Sun Aug 24, '08 1:35pm PST 
Addy said it perfect. He acts up, crate him, period and don't give in. Ever. Eventually he'll get the message that he does what you want. way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Aug 26 3:44 am

Food & Nutrition > What? Canidae cheaper than Chicken Soup?
Domino

Barked: Tue Aug 12, '08 9:22pm PST 
Tell me...like, me personally? Because I don't think we've ever had a convo about food. thinking But I'm just happy that I can gt some good food.

And I haven't ordered it yet. I'm going to pick up a bag on Sunday. I assume I'll just get the regular all lifestages food.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by ~Sophie~, Aug 13 2:17 pm

Food & Nutrition > What? Canidae cheaper than Chicken Soup?

Domino

Barked: Tue Aug 12, '08 7:49pm PST 
Well, from what I know Canidae is one of the best foods out there, right?

Well, I was comparing prices online and a 35lb bag of Chicken Soup was 33 bucks. A 40lb bag of Canidae (regular all life stages) dog food is 32 bucks. A 40lb bag of lamb meal and rice is only 37. I thought Canidae was ridiculously expensive? Could this be true, can I actually switch my kids to the food I've been wanting without losing our house? laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by ~Sophie~, Aug 13 2:17 pm

Behavior & Training > What does this mean ?

Domino

Barked: Sun Aug 10, '08 10:13am PST 
When Domino was a puppy she would growl and bark a lot in her sleep. When Jahkal was a puppy he would wake up in the middle of the night and just BAY and bay and bay and would eventually go back to sleep. We kind of ignored it (except for telling Jahk to be quiet when it was 3 in the morning) and they both grew out of it. Does she have a crate, and if she does, does she sleep in it? If she has one but doesn't sleep in it, try having her sleep in her crate. She may feel as though she has to be on guard when she sleeps and any little noise will set her off. If she feels she is in a safe place (her crate) she may not be so inclinced to be so defensive
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Molly, Aug 11 12:39 pm

Behavior & Training > Was this aggression?

Jahkal

Chain Link- fences are- invisible.

Barked: Sun Aug 10, '08 10:01am PST 
yeah, I'm the same person with the Am Bull. Everything is progressing so quickly that the topic I posted a week ago has nothing to do with my question now. laugh out loud

Well, in response to Cracker, Jahk's body movement doesn't seem TOO stiff but he's definitely not completely relaxed, he's terribly hyped up. As for Domino she just kind of goes up to the fence, takes and look and then trots around and finds something to chew on.

We took them to an empty tennis court yesterday to see how everyone did. We let them go but left the leashes on just in case. After about five or so minutes we took Domino's leash off because everyone was doing good. Then, Domino and Diesel start playing. Which was awesome because Domino hasn't been able to really play in a while. Well Diesel was chasing Domino all around the court and they were having a blast, sometimes Jahk would go over there and pounce in a little bit but would kind of break off and look uneasy. The second that happened I would grab Jahk's leash and walk him around the tennis court while the other dogs played, telling him what a good boy he is. So Domino and Diesel are doing fantasic and we figure we can take Jahk's leash off because it kept being stepped on and caused tension in the leash which I know could start a fight. (We left Diesel's on the whole time, just in case.)

Domino and Diesel played together fabulously because although Domino is only 35 lbs. she plays ROUGH, and she loves it. Diesel plays pretty rough too so I'm sure Domino was stoked that she found a dog that is a match for her. We kept a good eye on them the whole time though, again, just in case. Well, everybody has pretty good vibes, everyone is relaxed, two are playing and Jahk is kind of following me around, sometimes pouncing on the two and then breaking away. I continue to tell him what a good boy he is when he's following me and then Diesel decides its time to play with Jahk. Well they play for a second but then I think Diesel got a bit too rough...or something. Jahk put his ears back and had his tail really low (not between his legs but really low) and he was trotting kind of fast and Diesel was following him. You could tell Jahk didn't like it very much so I said 'Okay we're done.' and we leashed everyone up and walked home. We spent a good half hour or more at the tennis court.

So, Domino and Diesel get along great now (outside the house and yard at least.) but Jahk and Diesel are still not great. I think Jahk wanted to play but he doesn't play very rough at all. He's a very sweet, docile boy and he doesn't even really play rough with his toys. I think Diesel kind of scared him away because you could tell Diesel just wanted to be friends and play but Jahk wasn't having it.

We're still keeping them seperated, we still walk them twice a day. Once we walk Domino and Jahk together and Diesel seperate (he definitely needs some training) and then at night we walk all three together. We also figure we'll take them to that tennis court every saturday. Is there any way for Jahk and Diesel to ever get along and be able to play together? We're getting Diesel neutered the 25th, will that help calm down his play do you think? So far, I have done everything that everyone has suggested and well, the progress is growing by leaps and bounds! At least we got one of the dogs to like the new addition. laugh out loud

Thanks again guys, really, I don't know what I would do without dogster.way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Cracker, Aug 11 5:44 pm

Behavior & Training > Was this aggression?
Jahkal

Chain Link- fences are- invisible.

Barked: Sat Aug 9, '08 1:48pm PST 
Alright. We have two dogs, and we just rescued an adult American Bulldog. The dogs didn't start off on the right foot and a couple of fights broke out. We have been keeping them seperate ever since. We walk them together everyday.

Anyway, we have started to bring Diesel (new dog) up to the fence where our original two dogs are to see how they react. Well, Diesel kind of just ignores everyone and sniffs around our trash cans, and Domino doesn't mind too much. Jahkal did something I'm not quite sure how to interpret. He went to the fence and he was barking like crazy, it sounded angry and it was very loud BUT his tail was wagging and it almost looked as though he were play bowing and jumping around from spot to spot very excited.

So, anyone have any ideas what Jahk meant? smile

Thank you.
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Cracker, Aug 11 5:44 pm

(Page 1 of 8: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.