Postings by Steele's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 74: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Laws & Legislation > Police search wrong house and kill pit bull
Steele

The Guardian

Barked: Sun Jun 9, '13 5:49am PST 
If I could quickly chime in, @ Clyde- There actually has been a police shooting of a dog inside a crate, though I don't think it was the wrong address but what it turned out that the guy had, was very minimal marijuana and whatnot; not a big time drug dealer like the police had thought (or so the story says).

Just plain ridiculous though. There's a video of the whole thing on more than one site...

As for the whole topic... I just... have nothing to say. Things like this, I hear about so much, it just renders me speechless. There's just no words anymore for how outrageous and idiotic this kind of thing is. I'm so sick of the "holier than thou", god complex, or whatever it is that so many officers have. I can't explain it as anything else when a cop just shoots a dog who is doing NOTHING to them, and is restrained, for crap's sake!

Ironically enough, the one video I saw where a rottie actually was trying to attack a police officer (the officer was quick enough to avoid the bites thankfully), the guy tasered the dog and it ran off. Could have been completely justified (even imo) if he had shot the dog. But he didn't. That's a good cop.

What on earth the problem is with all these other trigger happy jackasses, I have no idea.

I guess there were more than a few words left after all....
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Jun 12 5:01 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > i know someone who wants to breed dogs. dont know what to tell them
Steele

The Guardian

Barked: Sat Mar 16, '13 10:54am PST 
Gosh, I know exactly where you're coming from, OP...

I have a friend who got a pit bull pup and ended up saying she wants to breed her. I don't know how many times I talked to her about it. Sat down, tried to explain everything. She had that very simplistic view too, that the pups will all go to "good homes", yadda yadda....

I swear I talked to her for a couple of hours (after many tries before) and tried and tried to calmly explain to her everything that is wrong with her "rainbows and butterflies" idea, and the very realistic side of things. I wasn't so much pushing it on her, but she wanted to talk of it and seemed to want to listen so I fired away.

She finally decides she likely won't breed her because she doesn't want to risk complications and her dog dying.... but knowing how she is, I wasn't sold...

Let's add that her pittie girl, btw, is outside on the chain.... to get pregnant by any stray mutt. Obviously I tell her this but she insists "there's never any strays around".... -headdesk-

Lo and behold, when he dog goes into heat... she gets pregnant... by a loose dog... who the owner thinks was a mutt (she didn't see the dog). It was either her first or second heat.

She was so pissed that her dog got "knocked up" by a "mutt" and all I could do is just... no comment.

So fast forward, her dog has the puppies, all 8-10 of em (I don't remember the exact #). And after a couple weeks maybe, she calls me and is telling me about them (cue my "Are you for real? I don't even have anything more to say, your ignorance just baffles me out of my mind" face)...

I'll never forget this one little beauty of a comment she told me, and I quote, "I know they're pure pit because this one (puppy) locked jaw on my finger and wouldn't let go for like 5 minutes!" all happy about it..... At this point, I just... this was a one sided conversation. All I could do was, "...Ah huh... Mmmm.... ok...... yea....... ah huuuh". Just not even bothering to waste my breath anymore. There's no point.

But oh, my story isn't yet done (hang in there! lol I'm known to be long-winded)... She not only started giving the puppies away at 1-2 weeks old "because they get more attached to the owner that way.. y'know, when they're bottle fed, they'll be closer to the owner, it's better for them"..... Okay confused

..But around 6 weeks, 7 weeks, she gave the rest away and Every. One. of those puppies died except the one she kept and another who was the only puppy to receive vet care when he went ill (the owner, being a relative of my friend)... the vet gave him a wormer and he was fine...

So my hunch is that the rest of them likely died due to something simply treated or preventable, had they been given the proper care. -_-

I don't know if she'll ever understand the reality. Maybe she'll learn from this, maybe not. But she still excitedly whips out her phone with pics of her neighbors' and friends' litters, too happy to show them off. Little does she seem to realize (STILL, after YEARS) that I do not, in fact, share in her excitement every time I see or hear of another ignorant person breeding their dogs... but that I am silently holding my tongue and rolling my eyes, wishing I could pop the owners up-side their heads.

What ya gonna do? shrug

-Edited to add-

I've brought my friend to the high kill shelter before (she wanted to go) and she was in tears, had to walk out and sit down because it upset her so much..... this was all before her dog had a litter, and she still won't listen. It's just amazing, it really is. confused
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Teeko, May 14 10:44 am

Home Prepared Food & Recipes > Questions about Icing/Frosting?

Steele

The Guardian

Barked: Tue Oct 2, '12 12:20pm PST 
You can use turmeric for yellow or orange/yellow. Nice vibrant color.

I've used blackberries before. I took some berries, heated them in a pot and smashed the juice out really well (with a fork or spoon). I let it heat until most of the water was evaporated from it and I was left with a thicker syrup-y kind of liquid. Very dark and concentrated. I used it in some white chocolate to ice dog cookies and it worked out nicely. It made the white chocolate this lovely purple shade with just a small hint of a pinkish tone (and you'd just adjust the amount if you want it darker or lighter). ^_^
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Oct 9 10:35 am

Behavior & Training > So, what if a dog bite you?

Steele

The Guardian

Barked: Mon Oct 1, '12 3:43pm PST 
@Liam- The video the OP mentioned, I believe, is the one with the yellow lab, Holly:

CM and Holly

In addition to my first post, I was thinking of if the dog didn't have a collar on or it slipped off. If there's a snug collar, I'd also twist it to get the dog to let go before going through with the other things I mentioned. I've done the collar twist before when needed as well, in different situations.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Alva BH, Oct 3 11:26 am

Behavior & Training > So, what if a dog bite you?

Steele

The Guardian

Barked: Mon Oct 1, '12 1:17pm PST 
I've been bitten a couple of times before by my own dog, Steele. It was from breaking up fights though (particularly between him and a past foster dog he hated very much).

He bit me good once when breaking up a fight. The foster had him by the back end really bad and the second he let go and Steele was able to turn around to go at him, I was in the way. =) lol He latched onto my thigh and shook back and forth. I just stood there, holding the foster by the collar and figured Steele would realize it's me and let go immediately. But he didn't. He held it and shook more. After about 7 long seconds, the pain got to me and I finally hollered out (a deep "Aaaagh!") and that seemed to snap him out of it/made him realize it was me and he let me go. It was just pure blind rage and I don't blame him one bit, seeing as how the foster had him so badly just before, I'd have done the same thing if I was him. lol

Anyway, I tend not to react much in dangerous dog situations. I've basically trained myself over the years, through learning about dog behavior/training/body language/etc, to keep calm so you can observe and react with a clearer mind (whether that's a dog fight or a dog coming after me). And I naturally tend to not react to much anyway. lol

If it came down to a dog grabbing me like in that CM video, the simple answer is I would do whatever it took to stop the attack. Honestly, I'd likely react much like Cesar did. It would just be instinct basically. But I'm someone who has no fear to throw down with a full grown large dog if I had to (I mean if it was risk of serious injury or life or death, what else would you do?).

If it would come down to very serious harm or life/death, first thing that'd come to mind is jabbing my hand under the neck and grabbing the trachea, squeezing/holding on as tight as possible in hopes they release and stop (I can't imagine many dogs holding a bite through having their trachea crushed). If it kills them, oh damn well. It'd be sad, but necessary to avoid death or needing 10 plastic surgeries to repair my face. This is all considering there was no one around to help, obviously.

But that would be very extreme and I doubt it would ever happen to me. lol
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Alva BH, Oct 3 11:26 am

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Dogster's Beware
Steele

The Guardian

Barked: Fri Sep 28, '12 11:43am PST 
So sorry you lost your money to a dishonest person. =( I never understand how people can just lie and have no conscience. Honesty, to me, is one of the most important things. Can take a long time to earn it, and just seconds to destroy it all.

Well what goes around, comes around. :3 That's my philosophy. blue dog
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by River, Oct 5 10:11 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Normal behavior for a rescue dog?

Steele

The Guardian

Barked: Mon Aug 20, '12 9:57am PST 
I agree, it's probably normal. I've fostered 30+ dogs and most of them adjust very quickly, some act like they've lived here all their life from the second they step foot into my yard. lol

But one (a puggle that my grandma actually couldn't keep so I fostered her through the shelter) had it rough. Even though she had known us before, when I took her home, she was a mess of anxiety. She ate only 2 half meals (half a day's food) for the first week. I just waited til she caved and she did and was fine after that. She settled down fine but she did seem to have this "off" kind of energy, somewhat anxious, just... very odd. Hard to describe it. But that was just her character.

I'm sure your new pup will adjust well. =)
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Aug 24 10:27 pm

Dog Health > Handling a dog at the vet?

Steele

The Guardian

Barked: Tue Aug 7, '12 12:41am PST 
Indeed, I was thinking the same (just don't hand over the leash). lol

I completely agree about the lack of dog language knowledge in... well... in most people really. But it's surprising to see people in the dog field (such as techs/vets) who don't seem to know anything about basic dog body language, as you said. You would think there would be more education in those things, in any dog business...

Definitely will be different from now on when I visit the vet (any vet).
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Abby, Aug 8 11:04 am

Steele

The Guardian

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 1:30pm PST 
@Lucille- Yes! Age and experience, that's exactly what I was going to type in my last post (but I forgot). ha

Just takes time, I suppose. lol
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Abby, Aug 8 11:04 am

Steele

The Guardian

Barked: Mon Aug 6, '12 11:25am PST 
Thanks so much for understanding, guys =)

Well, I'm not very aged yet at the moment (I'm 21) so I've got a long way to go with learning how to use my voice. haha

I just had to get stuck with the melancholic/phlegmatic personality type. lol I'm sure in the future I'll just get so tired of people's crap that I'll learn to speak up and defend myself/my pets. I'm learning already from this thread and all you pup's wonderful feedback. =) So thank you guys (for the 20th time). lol big hug
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Abby, Aug 8 11:04 am

(Page 1 of 74: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.