Postings by Shadow's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 119: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Service & Therapy Dogs > Seizure Alert Dogs
Sike

Brilliant- Mastermind

Barked: Mon Oct 3, '11 8:13am PST 
I have a friend who experiences seizures and is looking for a seizure alert dog. Located in Indiana, sorry for the short post typing on the phone. Can add info if needed. Anyone know of a place that she could apply for one from?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sike, Oct 3 8:13 am

Dogster Railroad > TRANSPORT NEEDED! Indianapolis, IN to Chicago Area
Sike

Brilliant- Mastermind

Barked: Sun Aug 21, '11 6:38pm PST 
Need transport foster puppy from Indianapolis to Chicago area. If you can make the trip please message me ASAP at AliJY009@aol.com
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sike, Aug 21 6:38 pm

Dog Health > Sprain/Strain Leg

Sike

Brilliant- Mastermind

Barked: Sun Aug 21, '11 8:49am PST 
Syke was playing ball, and I made a bad hit, he rolled and hit his leg. I think he pulled a muscle, as he is limping on his back right leg. Any suggestions/advice??

I took him swimming hoping that that would let him use it without putting tension upon it. Still no improvements, so it's starting to worry me.

I am going to try to stretch it out again, he is pretty receptive to that. Other than that he is staying in the crate until he isn't limping.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Aug 22 5:18 am

Service & Therapy Dogs > Ideas/Help/Information?

Sike

Brilliant- Mastermind

Barked: Tue Aug 16, '11 11:46am PST 
I talked to another trainer, and here is their response:

Thanks for talking about what is going on with you - I believe you that Syke picks up on the changes that happen to you when you may be entering a psychotic/hallucinatory episode. I think they pick up on changes in temperature, heartbeat, odor, etc., that accompany such episodes. Unfortunately, we can't *train* them to do that, because we really don't know what those mechanisms are or how to recreate them; plus, the changes are probably unique in each individual. Paws has seizure response dogs, but we do not have seizure prediction dogs, for the same reason. Although I have found that with the seizure response dogs, the longer they are with their person, they eventually display behavior that indicates that they can sense a seizure coming on. The question for you is, what would you like Syke to do in the case of an episode? Paws will not take on training an owner's dog who is over two years old, and we also insist that the service dog be the *only dog* (under ten years) in the house, in order to foster the bond. So, the question goes back to, what would you like Syke to do for you? And then, how do we put it reliably on cue and how do you get certification or some sort of official recognition in order to allow you to have access to places with your dog? I suggest that you go to the website for Assistance Dogs International, and look over their info. Paws certifies our *own* dogs (and uses ADI guidelines/rules), but, as I said, before, does not work with others' dogs who are under two and not the only dog in the house. So ADI may be able to provide you with information on how an individual trains their own service dog, and how does the dog get designation as a service dog. Let me know what you find out, and I would be happy to help.

What do you guys think?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sike, Aug 16 11:46 am

Raw Food Diet > Mixing raw and kibble

Sike

Brilliant- Mastermind

Barked: Sun Aug 14, '11 2:36pm PST 
You must be wary about intermixing kibble and raw. When I began the diet, I did half and half, kibble in the mornings and raw at night. Why the timing is crucial, is because kibble and raw process at different rates. Kibble processes in your dog's digestive track at a moderately sluggish pace while raw processes very fast, hence why dogs never develop the salmonella bacteria consuming raw meat as a human would, but when you combine the two at the same time the raw meat digestion is decelerated by the kibble and takes longer to process. Not only that but it gets a chance to amalgamate with the kibble, greatly augmenting the risk of your dog building up the harmful bacteria in his digestive tract.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Brody, Aug 21 8:11 am

Sike

Brilliant- Mastermind

Barked: Sun Aug 14, '11 2:03pm PST 
Also to add, this is premature, where would I be able to find a SD/SDiT vest? Just thinking ahead right now.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Sike, Aug 16 11:46 am

Sike

Brilliant- Mastermind

Barked: Sun Aug 14, '11 8:44am PST 
Thanks Mandi!
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Sike, Aug 16 11:46 am

Sike

Brilliant- Mastermind

Barked: Sat Aug 13, '11 8:02pm PST 
Let me start off with thanking each of your for your spectacular advice. Now I am going to try to respond to some of the questions. If I forget something do not hesitate to call me on it!

Link: I, too suffer from paranoid type schizophrenia. Isn’t it just a blessing to live with? About giving off signs, my family tell me when I am delusional (lack of better word) I stare or rub my eyes. I am teaching Syke to read those signs. He is picking up on it like a little pro! He already gets really “nosey” when I am hallucinating, and wants to be right in my face.

Ollivander: I am currently seeing a doctor and schizo counselor for therapy. I am on a huge dose of candy colored medications. I have talked about a SD with my therapist, and she thinks there is a definite benefit in what dogs do for people with my condition. On finding a trainer, Syke already has his CGC, puppy STAR cert, and numerous agility titles. He is VERY human/dog friendly and absolutely fearless. He is such a dynamic boy. My previous agility trainer works with a SD program (Paws with a Cause), I am planning on contacting her to see what she thinks. Syke has been exposed to everything from a puppy, as he is my agility dog. He has done tons of obedience work, I have a ten year old that is U-CDX obedience dog, and Syke can do all the behaviors my older boy can. Syke is worked with on a regular basis and goes to dog friendly places with me all the time.

THANK YOU ALL! The advice is awesome; let me know what you guys think on what I should proceed with. I am going to check out all the links now!
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Sike, Aug 16 11:46 am

Sike

Brilliant- Mastermind

Barked: Fri Aug 12, '11 10:06pm PST 
To start this off, I guess I should be frank... I suffer from schizophrenia and a severe anxiety disorder. I've suffered from this mental disorder for quite some years and it takes a HUGE toll on my life. I have taught my Border Collie Syke different tasks to make my life a bit more easy, he retrieves my medications when needed, can grab my phone and interesting enough without any instruction he can alert me when I am having a severe episode. Almost instinctively, which is quite odd. He is very intune with me. Now is the part I am completely oblivious on, does he have the makes to be a service dog? If so how should I go about it? All thoughts are appreciated!
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Sike, Aug 16 11:46 am

Dogster Railroad > URGENT Kentucky to Indiana Transport!
Sike

Brilliant- Mastermind

Barked: Wed Apr 20, '11 2:20pm PST 
Transport needed from Owensboro, KY (Animal Shelter) to Franklin, IN. Anyone that can help let me know by emailing me at AliJY009@aol.com. I won't check this thread so PLEASE email.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Sike, Apr 20 2:20 pm

(Page 1 of 119: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.