Postings by Stella "Blue"'s Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 479: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Puppy Place > Breed Guess Anyone?
Bodhi

Barked: Sat Mar 22, '14 5:35pm PST 
Hm, that's an interesting one. Definitely not one I thought of.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Gizmo, Apr 14 12:11 pm

Puppy Place > Always with the "guess this breed" posts...
Bodhi

Barked: Sat Mar 22, '14 5:33pm PST 
Oh, I say plot hound.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Bodhi, Mar 22 5:33 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Help I fell in love with a dog!

Stella- "Blue"

Puttin' my freak- on!

Barked: Tue Mar 18, '14 7:13pm PST 
I can't seem to follow the link
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Sarah, CW-SR, CW-G1, CGC, Mar 25 7:27 pm

Puppy Place > Breed Guess Anyone?

Bodhi

Barked: Tue Mar 18, '14 6:50pm PST 
I adopted Bodhi from a local shelter at about 13 weeks... although he might have been a little older than that because he started losing the mil teeth shortly after. Best guess was a shepherd mix, but it seems he is staying on the smallish side. He is only about 35 pounds right now, and the vet guesses he is actually about 7 months old - he claimed older, but he still had the milk teeth when I got him. Still hasn't lost them all, but think they are going to need to be pulled... they aren't coming out He is fluffy and cream colored, and had a sibling that looked just like him. The other siblings looked just like him too, but were all black. No other colors in the litter, all same build. Breed doesn't really matter in the long run, but it's always fun to guess smileI know it is impossible to tell because Kaya was a great pyr terrier mutt mix (I met her parents - and dad was all pyr - mom was a mutt)and people always guess shepherd lab for her.. lol but like I said, fun to speculate smileAnd no complaints he turned out smaller than expected... kind of loving his dwarfish shepherd look smile
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Gizmo, Apr 14 12:11 pm

Behavior & Training > New Puppy... Help?

Bodhi

Barked: Sun Mar 16, '14 7:13pm PST 
Hounds are super food motivated... I definitely suggest at least starting with food, and get used to having pockets of treats... I keep kibble in my pocket at all times, so I can randomly reward for good behaviors throughout the day. I only use "training" treats when teaching specific behaviors like working jumps or tricks. Like Mulder said, you can work up to making yourself a primary reinforce... I know with my non hound herding something or other mix, praise and rubs interspersed with treats is a good combo. He is food motivated, but he is also touch motivated, and at times toy motivated... but the food is best for when doing "drill" type training because it's quicker to keep things going... but for yard behaviors, toy tossing is the reward... etc... but since I have three, I tend to always have food (kibble or mini milk bones broken up smaller) in pockets - even the old gal likes to be rewarded for being a good girl throughout the day. My hounds respond best to food... although the young hound likes affection from me... one reward he likes for not "reacting" on leash is to jump into my arms... being a giant as opposed to a puppy now, that just means his front paws, but for him it's a reward and comfort... Blue doesn't find touch rewarding in training situations... cuddles are only for sleep time for her... takes time, but you figure out what is rewarding... and you make it work... some times I use the environment as the reward... you want to sniff that bunny hole, you have to sit, etc...
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Bodhi, Mar 16 7:13 pm

Behavior & Training > My Shiba Inu is terrified of everything
Odie

Fluff Head

Barked: Tue Jan 14, '14 8:04pm PST 
Start from scratch... don't expect too much. Work on focus games, and rewarding for focusing on you in "scary" situations... which means, adding things slowly slowly slowly at first... so you don't shut them down. Fun, short training sessions in the house, in a comfortable place, introduce different things and reward for interacting with them. Helps build confidence, and focus once you do venture to new places. Odin is a scaredy dog too... he was born scared. 10 weeks old when I adopted him he was already cowering in corners while the rest of his littermates romped around carefree... I adopted him BECAUSE he was scared. After my learning about fear reactive dogs through Blue, I new I had the patience to bring him out, especially since he was so young yet. At just over a year, we are still working the process, and we only have a few select places yet, BUT, at least in those places he is truly happy, because we took the time to really condition positive associations with them. I keep sessions short. I watch him and try to push his endurance without overwhelming him. I take him somewhere (i.e. petstore during a quiet time where it's mostly just employees), he works for a little bit (on the things we worked at home) he interacts with others if he feels comfortable, otherwise I reward him just for being around them (people as well as dogs, and keep a distance he feels unthreatened). It was, is a lot of work... and he will likely never be the happy go lucky hound that goes with me EVERYWHERE I would like to be able to bring him... but as long as I am providing him with stimulation of the mind and exercise, why does he need to go places he isn't all that comfortable with? Just because it isn't what we envision a grand doggie life to be, doesn't mean they aren't content with their sheltered and safe world. In the mean time, I work to expand his world as much as I can, but try to focus on just making sure he enjoys the comforts of home while I continue to enrich his environment. Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Odie, Jan 14 8:04 pm

Behavior & Training > Puppy has food aggression

Odie

Fluff Head

Barked: Tue Jan 14, '14 7:39pm PST 
I used to do what Alva did... and it definitely worked. But I found that the dogs learned to eat fast. Now.. more so because of the constant in and out I've had with fosters lately, I do what Shiver me Timbers does... I just feed separate. I tend not to feed out of bowls much these days anyway. Everyone being so young and frisky, I do a lot of kong feedings and kibble rollers to stretch feeding time out and make it more engaging for them... so I definitely have to do it separate... unless I go out in the yard with it, in which case there is plenty of space they do not feel threatened by each other .
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Clyde, Jan 15 8:23 am

Behavior & Training > Cats & Dogs - Forever Enemies

Stella- "Blue"

Puttin' my freak- on!

Barked: Tue Jan 14, '14 7:31pm PST 
Agreed. I have a baby gate that the kitty can get through but the dogs can not. You can work on counter conditioning rewarding the pup for ignoring the cat but using the gate for safety. Blue was horrid with cats when I first brought her home... too me a while ( a full year at least) before I felt safe letting them have any unsupervised time together... and even to this day, 8 years later, I use the gate just so the cat can get away. She determines when she wants to come out based on the energy level of the dogs... when they are chill, she will get mobile.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Indy, Jan 16 9:35 am

Behavior & Training > Is this marking or something more serious?

Stella- "Blue"

Puttin' my freak- on!

Barked: Sun Jan 12, '14 4:44pm PST 
My female marks a lot on walks... she's been spayed since 6 or 7 months old... maybe 8. (never had a heat though) and she marks... I know it is marking as others had said because she makes it all day with no accidents, and I am can be gone 10 hours.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Nova, Jan 14 9:30 pm

Behavior & Training > My dog isn't terribly bright?
Bodhi

Barked: Sun Jan 12, '14 4:35pm PST 
LOL, sounds like a cutie. How old is he? What are you leaving for chews? While the half hour formal training is excellent, I would consider walking around with treats pretty much always for a while. I do a lot of random training moments with my pup. If I want to redirect from improper behavior, reward for good. I try to give a random cookie anytime he is being chill. If he is getting over the top with chewing things, I'll redirect with a quick 5 minute session of sits, downs, touches, spins, etc then pu in the crate with a chew... or if needed a quick game with the flirt pole or something then some crate time with a chew or a stuffed kong. I like doing the random training sessions in there so they (I have three dogs) don't think they only have to listen when we are "working"
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Willie, Jan 14 5:27 pm

(Page 1 of 479: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.