Postings by Zoe 's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 31: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Raw Food Diet > Dehtdrayted raw
Vegas

What happens in- Vegas, Stays in- Vegas

Barked: Sat Oct 18, '08 8:00am PST 
If its deydrated it is technically cooked, and not really 'Raw' for feeding purposes.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Beamer, Oct 20 8:20 pm

Raw Food Diet > Raw Food Diet Beginner
Vegas

What happens in- Vegas, Stays in- Vegas

Barked: Mon Aug 11, '08 8:42pm PST 
ALL dogs need organ meat, it contains a ton of the vitamins and minerals that arent available in most meats.

Try and think of it as though he would be eating the whole animal over the course of a week, which of course would contain a small amount of organ, hence the 80% muscle meat, 10% bone 10% organ (half of the organ percentage should be liver, since it is the biggest organ in the body and your dog would be eating the most of that) smile

Heart however, isnt concidered an organ for raw feeding purposes.
Liver, kidney, spleen, pancreas etc...

If it doesnt secrete, feed it as meat!

dancing
[notify]
» There has since been 25 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Aug 14 12:53 pm

Raw Food Diet > Green tripe! GREEN TRIPE!!!

Zoe

Raw fed since- '07

Barked: Mon Aug 11, '08 7:55pm PST 
Pepper;

You totaly just decided for the girls what they are getting for dinner. I figured if i had to pull out a bag to weigh it i might as well defrost it..lol

they come in bags of three, and they averaged out to about 4 pounds 6 ounces per bag frozen weight (which includes some frozen fluids etc). they vary in size a little but i would say they average out to about a pound /a pound and a third each.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by , Aug 13 10:10 am

Raw Food Diet > Green tripe! GREEN TRIPE!!!

Zoe

Raw fed since- '07

Barked: Mon Aug 11, '08 5:37pm PST 
I got some of the gullets and the organ mix from greentripe.com through our raw co-op. They are HUGE and the dogs love them to bits.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Aug 13 10:10 am

Raw Food Diet > A raw diet really is helping! If only chocolate covered espresso beans were considered "raw"...

Zoe

Raw fed since- '07

Barked: Thu Aug 7, '08 8:30am PST 
sorry mags, im just a big worry wart i suppose. laugh out loud

In my line of work i see so many people who just really dont seem to get it, ya know? And after a long (and very trying) day i stupidly jumped the gun.

sorry frown
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Mississippi, Aug 7 11:56 am

Raw Food Diet > is there something to help prevent joint/bone problems to feed more of
Zoe

Raw fed since- '07

Barked: Wed Aug 6, '08 9:52pm PST 
yeah, Zoe just turned two in july and *just* got diagnosed with a luxating pattella (her kneecap dislocates) in her right rear leg. its really common in small dogs, but shes nearly 60 lbs.

she would be running and take a few off steps of limping and then work it off...and then every once in a while she would wake up and not be able to but any wieght on it at all.

thank goodness we got her in early because if it was left untreated and undiagnosed she would have gotten serious arthritis and could possibly have lost her leg.

Hip displaysia can occur at pretty much any age and its something that should be caught as early as possible. if hes a lab/GSD mix, both have a high rate of displasia. I've seen an 11 month old who was nearly crippled and had to be euthed. its sad.

Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , Aug 9 8:02 pm

Raw Food Diet > A raw diet really is helping! If only chocolate covered espresso beans were considered "raw"...

Zoe

Raw fed since- '07

Barked: Wed Aug 6, '08 8:59pm PST 
We're they dark chocolate or "chocolate flavour' coated?

Both caffiene and chocolate can be highly toxic to dogs and for a dog her size to have eaten both is potentialy fatal.

The main stimulant and potential toxin in chocolate and cocoa is theobromine, and caffeine is obviously a stimulant which can cause heart failure

If enough is eaten it can be fatal for both dogs and cats. The lethal dose of caffeine for dogs and cats is 150mg/kg body weight, and regular instant coffee contains over 60mg caffeine per teaspoon - so for a 3 kg cat 8 teaspoons of coffee would be potentially fatal, and there is NO ANTIDOTE.

Signs of poisoning that may be noticed by owners include :

Excitement
Increased breathing rate
Increased heart rate
Muscle tremors
Fits
Bleeding
Veterinarians may also detect :

Abnormal heart rhythm (called arrhythmias)
Generalised congestion

Please call your vet.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Mississippi, Aug 7 11:56 am

Raw Food Diet > is there something to help prevent joint/bone problems to feed more of

Zoe

Raw fed since- '07

Barked: Wed Aug 6, '08 8:54pm PST 
He's not very old, is he?

if he is giving you an honest limp, after that much exersize i would reall take him in and get him looked at. Showing pain after exercise is not normal in a healthy dog.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by , Aug 9 8:02 pm

Raw Food Diet > Best Raw Bones (especially for beginners!)

Zoe

Raw fed since- '07

Barked: Mon Aug 4, '08 2:24pm PST 
They could both have raw chicken quarters. There is a lot of ripping and crunching action in those and the bones are soft enough that i would completely floored if a tooth was even scuffed...lol

Bone in pork roast works well for us, as well as lamb ribs if you can find them since the bones are more mailable and dont splinter like the beef ribs.

Knuckle bones are great for teeth cleaning and recreation.

My general 'rule of thumb' is that if the bone is thinner than my pointer finger we're good to go.
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by , Aug 6 3:51 pm

Raw Food Diet > defrosting and organ
Zoe

Raw fed since- '07

Barked: Sun Aug 3, '08 10:14pm PST 
I'm notoriously bad/lazy about defrosting stuff. we have a massive (i have three fairly large dogs )stainless bowl that has been dubbed 'the dogs bowl' and its usualy got a bag or two floating in it defrosting.

The bottom self of our fridge is also lined with an old towel and is the dogs meat shelf for defrosting.

As for the fur, Vegas my aussie pup is still figuring out the whole prey thing so I have to partialy skin the rabbits for her, and kenya our cattle dog stands there with big eyes just *waiting* for me to toss her the pelt.
they are far and away her favourite treat. I try to limit how many she gets in one go so she doesnt get backed up, but we havent had a problem with them, even when she accidentaly got three huge (9-10 pound rabbit size) pelts.

They all even ground their way through a whole turkey, feathers and all in a couple of evening meals.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Mississippi, Aug 4 11:01 am

(Page 1 of 31: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.