Postings by Duncan 's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 130: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Rescue refuses to return pet Sheltie "Piper"
Duncan

Because I'm- Duncan, that's- why

Barked: Wed Aug 20, '14 6:47pm PST 
shrug Probably just as well that the rescue isn't posting pictures of her all over the place. Why would they - for attention and media exposure? She's not adoptable and her legal status is in limbo. Supposedly, someone in the rescue had her home broken into, during the course of all this, and she's expressed concern that it had something to do with Piper, and admittedly, emotions seem to be running high, even amongst people not personally involved with this case in any way - internet observers. I guess the rescue probably thinks it best to keep the dog out of sight until things simmer down and the courts figure out the mess!
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Twister, Fri 10:48 pm

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Rescue refuses to return pet Sheltie "Piper"
Duncan

Barked: Tue Aug 19, '14 8:35am PST 
This story is old news, but although the focus has been on the claims of owners and the rescue involved, the part that majorly irks me is the shelter. If they have a 14-day hold, that is LAW, presuming this to be a government-run shelter. Why they did not uphold the law, why they did not fulfill the most basic duty that they have, is confounding. The reason FOR a hold period on lost/ strays, is so that the owner may come forward, prove ownership, and reclaim the pet.
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Twister, Fri 10:48 pm

Dog Health > Reassure me that this is Kennel cough and not distemper!!

Duncan

Barked: Thu Aug 14, '14 8:38pm PST 
blue dog Noticed on your other post that your vet doesn't seem too worried and thinks it is just a run-o'-the-mill URI/kennel cough. You'd started that sentence "FWIW" but, your vet's opinion is worth a lot! After all, your vet has actually seen the pup and evaluated his symptoms (none of us have!), not to mention your vet is trained to diagnose such things! So hopefully, your vet is probably right! -I gather that you asked your vet directly about the possibility of distemper, and he didn't think it is that?

In any case, glad to hear the puppy is getting the care he needs! Sorry that you have to go through so much worry and hard time so immediately after bringing him home, but hopefully he'll be feeling better soon. Keep us posted!
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Willow, Aug 19 12:05 am

Dog Health > puppies and parvovirus

Duncan

Barked: Fri Aug 1, '14 9:40pm PST 
The Parvo virus can have an incubating period, whereby a puppy who showed no symptoms while in your care, could indeed become symptomatic up to 2 weeks later although having actually been exposed to the virus while in your care. However, as none of the other pups from the litter/ same environment became sick at any point, it seems unlikely that was the case here. Probably, that particular puppy was exposed to the virus very soon after leaving your care.

However, I think it most likely that you sold those puppies too young. It is my understanding that they should stay with their mom and littermates until the age of at least 10 weeks, perhaps 12 weeks. This is important to their overall social development. By that age, the proper age for releasing the puppies, they should certainly have received at least two distemper/Parvo vaccines. So this also provides protection of the health of the puppies.

It was irresponsible to sell those puppies at such a young age, in my opinion. So even though the puppy may not have "caught" the virus in your care technically, it's still your fault the puppy died in this way as it was most likely preventable by following appropriate protocols.

I'm not a veterinarian nor have medical training. Just have had plenty of experience with Parvo virus.
wave

ETA - this is an example of one reason not to be a backyard breeder.
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Duncan , Aug 1 9:40 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > My dog was surrendered without my consent

Duncan

Barked: Fri Aug 1, '14 12:17pm PST 
I'm sure, since you got the dog when you were 11, she was technically owned by your parents (who paid for her care, etc at the time). So, legally you might not have any ownership claim.

Can you just apply and adopt the dog from the rescue organization? It seems like that would be the simplest thing to do, as long as you are living independently now.
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Duncan , Aug 1 12:17 pm

Dog Health > heartworm concern :(
Duncan

Barked: Sat Jul 26, '14 12:07am PST 
wave Hi Guest. I wasn't even aware that Interceptor was off the market - so thanks for bringing that to my attention. I'm with you; I prefer HW-preventative only rather than a combo. I give my dogs Heartguard monthly.

Kali has made good points! If your dogs are mostly indoors, that definitely reduces their risk of HW infection. And also, if they do test positive, at least you know they haven't had the infection for very long, since they were until recently, protected. An early diagnosis makes a great deal of difference for this disease. The heartworms won't have done as much damage to your dog(s)' heart and lungs, and the treatment itself will be less perilous. There couldn't be a "heavy load" or severe case of heartworms, when the disease was identified in the early stages such as this.

One more thing. Even if your dogs both test negative and you get them started right back on preventative, I think it would be a good idea to get them a second test done after about 6 months. Then, keeping them on the preventative of course, just go back to testing yearly.

Fingers and paws crossed for the vet appointment, and please keep us posted!!
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Aug 15 1:04 am

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > This looks promising for this dogster thread :)

Duncan

Barked: Thu Jul 24, '14 10:33pm PST 
Good eye, Bunny!! That is cool that I-5 happens to be starting those rescue-specific publications. Wonderful in and of itself, and also exciting in terms of possible tie-ins with their other properties, like Dogster. smile

I like the idea of having an "adoption guide" that they publish annually. I hope they do a great job of producing it. Could be really helpful for a lot of people!
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Duncan , Jul 24 10:33 pm

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Scruffy passed away

Duncan

Barked: Thu Apr 3, '14 6:35pm PST 
Oh no....I'm so sorry. Scruffy's time was too short and he had a tough battle, but every moment of his life was full of love. All there is now is to be grateful for the time you did have together. I know you'll miss him so. Thinking of you. hughughughughughughughughughughughug
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Scruffy (R.I.P.), Apr 15 2:11 pm

Behavior & Training > He Hates the Crate

Duncan

Barked: Thu Feb 13, '14 11:01pm PST 
Just wanted to add that, for convenience, you could use a rabbit water bottle attached on the door of the crate, you know the kind? It's actually pretty handy, doesn't spill, and doesn't get in the dog's way in the crate.
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Alva BH, Feb 20 2:30 pm

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > New England Dogsters! Join us for Westminster!!!
Duncan

Barked: Fri Jan 31, '14 9:13am PST 
Wish you could all join us! What a great group that would be ~!!!
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Moose, Feb 12 9:36 pm

(Page 1 of 130: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.