Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 231: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Senior Dogs > Supplements?
Buddy

Giving my paw- can get me- anything!

Barked: Sat Jul 6, '13 11:09am PST 
Buddy just turned 7 (approximately) and a few months ago I noticed he was a bit stiff in the hind legs following his very rough play sessions. He was hesitant to go up and down the stairs and sometimes he needed help. I researched glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, hyaluronic acid, fish oil and turmeric. He gets all these supplements for joints and he's not limping anymore at all, whatsoever. My boys also get other things as they get older including spirulina, coconut oil and many other supplements. I've noticed the difference. way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Aug 5 1:08 pm

Raw Food Diet > Supplementation - What's Necessary
Buddy

Barked: Sun Dec 30, '12 8:39pm PST 
I feed PMR but have two very sensitive dogs. Red meat (except pork) will make Buddy vomit immediately and continuously and Captain gets severe diarrhea for days. I have to feed somewhat of a bland diet (learned through trial and error and do my absolute best) so I do feel the need to supplement. My boys get Spirulina, Turmeric, fish oil, colostrum and the occasional probiotic. Buddy also has to get Glucosamine/ Chondroitin/ MSM for his sometimes painful joints and we do rounds of bentonite clay and milk thistle to cleanse. Coconut oil is an occasional treat. I've only seen improvements with the supplements and won't discontinue them anytime soon. way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jan 27 11:38 pm

Rescue, Adoption & Happy Endings > Losing it.

Buddy

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '12 6:44am PST 
I agree with the others, its all about how well you are able to care and keep up with your pets. My limit is 3 dogs and 3 cats. While sometimes it can be a little bit of work, I am able to care for them well. I made sure that I work at a vets office so I can get discounts on any testing or care they needed. Whenever I think of adding another dog, I think of all the money I put into my pet's diets and supplements and how well they do on them. If I had to feed another dog I would not be able to afford their raw diet or the plethora of supplements they need. Which then... they would suffer. So, that keeps me from adding to my bunch!
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Oct 1 9:24 am

Dog Health > Annual Physical for Dogs? Blood Test?

Buddy

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '12 6:35am PST 
I would most definitely get blood work done every year. Especially past 5 years old and showing any signs of abnormal behavior. I work at a spay/neuter clinic and have my pets tested often. Buddy had two senior panels (include UA), two HW tests and a fecal done in the last year. Primarily because he was exhibiting odd behavior, which I found nothing wrong. But otherwise it would all have been done once a year. The senior panels only run $65. Pre-op only $37.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Oct 9 3:56 pm

Food & Nutrition > Switching to taste of the wild. Opinions?

Buddy

Barked: Sun Sep 30, '12 6:25am PST 
I fed this for a while to my cats and my one dog that didn't do well on raw. They did well for a few months but then started to have explosive diarrhea. Both my dog and cats. Since everyone in my household is raw fed except for the ones that cannot tolerate it.... I had to search for a better food for my kibble eaters. TOTW will no longer be fed in my household. Maybe I got a hold of a bad batch? But considering the dog AND cat food was affected... I decided to steer clear.

Just my experience!! My sister's dogs seem to do well on it.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Oct 4 4:27 am

Dog Health > Coconut oil
Buddy

Barked: Sun Sep 9, '12 12:03pm PST 
I've always thought that Coconut oil was such a wonderful supplement. It sounds like not everyone thinks so?

I read this in The Whole Dog Journal a long time ago and have been giving the dogs coconut oil since (with fish oil and spirulina in addition to prey model)

"One of the simplest cancer-resisting supplements you can add to your dog’s food, according to Bruce Fife, ND, is coconut oil. Dr. Fife, the author of several books about coconut’s health benefits, recommends feeding dogs 1 teaspoon of coconut oil per 10 pounds of body weight per day in divided doses. That’s 1 tablespoon (3 teaspoons) for a 30-pound dog and 2 tablespoons for a 60-pound dog. (See “Crazy About Coconut Oil,” October 2005.)

“The medium-chain fatty acids in coconut oil help treat or prevent all kinds of illnesses,” he says, “and they have significant anti-tumor properties. Giving your dog coconut oil every day is inexpensive health insurance.”

I feel I've noticed a difference in my dog's coats since giving coconut oil and it helps with that "dog smell" as well as keep away Captain's hot spots. way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by , Sep 13 9:19 pm

Raw Food Diet > Fish oil and vitamin e?

Buddy

Barked: Sun Aug 19, '12 6:49am PST 
I give my dogs spirulina (which contains vitamin e), fish oil, coconut oil and turmeric in addition to their raw. Ive seen some great improvements. way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Aug 19 11:29 am

Dog Health > HOT SPOTS!!! :(

Buddy

Barked: Sun Aug 12, '12 8:16am PST 
Poor Olive!! Captain always used to get a few hot spots per year and they were miserable. I started him on spirulina and coconut oil daily and it took a few months but they never came back. way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Aug 16 8:15 am

Senior Dogs > Upset with a friend, not sure where to put this

Buddy

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 4:18pm PST 
I see this at work everyday and its just heartbreaking. People acquire animals with no intention of preventing/ treating heartworms, having them spayed/neutered, or spending any money at all on preventative care. Then when the animal gets heartworms, a pyo or even worse pregnant or dystocia, they freak out on us for not helping them for free. Then getting another dog like its no big deal. There is nothing more infuriating to me. I work at a low cost clinic where a pyo only costs $200 over the spay cost ($40-95 depending on animal and size) and we still get complaints.

People are frustrating....
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by , Dec 21 7:53 pm

Raw Food Diet > Enhanced meat... Soak it or throw it?
Buddy

Barked: Thu Aug 9, '12 4:07pm PST 
No, retained water does not mean it is enhanced. way to go
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Aug 9 5:46 pm

(Page 1 of 231: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.