Postings by Leah, CGC's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 277: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Genetics may play a big role in Pitbull agression
Leah, CGC

All the Beauty- with none of the- Brains

Barked: Thu Nov 10, '11 1:16pm PST 
Acepromazine is NOT xanax for dogs. Xanax is Xanax for dogs. Acepromazine is a phenothiazine tranquilizer. Acepromazine maleate is a phenothiazine derivative. It is a commonly used tranquilizer for dogs (and other animals). Phenothiazines decrease dopamine levels and depress some portions of the reticular activating system.

Xanax (Alprazolam) is a benzodiazapine. It works by depressing activity in a number of areas of the brain, which leads to several desired effects. It works as an anti-anxiety treatment, as a sedative, as a suppressor of seizure activity, and as a muscle relaxer.

ETA - Where is the proof that preserving a specific trait is linked to creating another bad trait? Goldens have a high incidence of cancer but you suspect that is due to us preserving what?

If you are saying that pure bred lines are more at risk for passing genetic material that may cause specific diseases etc then I can agree but most responsible breeding lines use testing methods to weed out the genetic "mistakes".

RESPONSIBLE BREEDERS are PRESERVING their breed by being RESPONSIBLE.

ETAA - If you could produce some research studies or at least non-subjective proof that these GSD's had a "disease" not just individual behaviors, I would love to see it.

Fly-biting, snarling, fear ect can be signs of any number of medical problems from blindness, hearing loss, pain, brain tumors, other tumors, encephalitis, MGE to name a few. Not all of these are genetic
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , Nov 12 4:45 am

Dog Laws & Legislation > Help! I need to confess to my landlord. I have a dog!
Leah, CGC

Barked: Thu Nov 10, '11 12:59pm PST 
I realize this is going to sound rude but as a landlord I feel it should be said.

This was an incredibly irresponsible thing to do. When you live in/on someone else's house/property you are required to live according to the lease agreement, a legal document. If your lease has a specific no pet clause in it and you/your family signed it then you are breaking a legal agreement which puts you at risk for eviction. And since you brought a pet into the living environment without an OK you should be prepared to be asked to vacate due to breech of contract.

Since I assume you send your rent payment to your landlord as well as know how to contact him to do the repairs you want I see NO EXCUSE for not contacting them sooner except possible fear that they would not allow you to keep the dog. Never seeing your landlord is simply a crappy excuse for not requesting the OK to bring a dog into the house. As a responsible renter and pet owner you should have contacted the landlord by phone or mail to get an OK AS WELL AS potentially signing a new lease with pet OK written into it.

HOWEVER since you did not do the responsible thing over a year ago you should not be surprised if the landlord feels you have broken their trust and asks you to leave. In the same situation I (as a landlord) would be incredibly upset and may seek new tenants.

I would contact your landlord immedietely with the greatest respect and sufficient remorse for breaking the contract and hope that you have otherwise been a very good tenant and are "worth it" for them to keep in their property.
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Nov 15 10:35 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Help! I need to confess to my landlord. I have a dog!

Leah, CGC

Barked: Thu Nov 10, '11 12:59pm PST 
NOM NOM NOM *eats double post*
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Jackson Tan, Nov 15 10:35 pm

Behavior & Training > Dog Developing Bad Habits

Leah, CGC

Barked: Thu Nov 10, '11 12:42pm PST 
Joker - It is important to remember that the crate IS NOT A PUNISHMENT and therefore not necessarily something you need to train OUT of your pets life. Many dogs find comfort in small areas and since the OP's dog doesn't get any exercise when OP is not home (IE OP reports dog doesn't play with toys without people present) I don't see how it make a difference if the OP has him crated for 8 hours per day. Especially since he allows him to be out with him all day and night.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Nov 11 10:57 am

Leah, CGC

Barked: Thu Nov 10, '11 12:28pm PST 
Lucille applause re:socialization!
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Nov 12 4:45 am

Leah, CGC

Barked: Thu Nov 10, '11 12:11pm PST 
OP said Preserving traits is the reason so many breeds have such bad genetic problems. The german shepherd is the most common breed to be on schizophrenic meds. Why? Because they tried to preserve the guard dog trait. Now some really are paranoid skitz. And thats just one example of many preserved breeds

Can you clarify what you are talking about? Please be specific as to what traits you are speaking about being "preserved" as well as what "schizophrenic meds" are EVER prescribed for dogs/GSD's. Also who, exactly is doing this "preserving"?
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by , Nov 12 4:45 am

Dog Health > Worst thing your dog has ever eaten?

Leah, CGC

Barked: Thu Nov 10, '11 10:26am PST 
Cara - ate whole pack of trident (read - XYLITOL IE TOXIC!!)

Leah - nothing crazy

Here is a fun Purdue created bingo game with xrays of various foreign bodies Foreign body Bingo
[notify]
» There has since been 52 posts. Last posting by , Oct 9 10:07 am

Dog Health > Pain Control Options In Dogs

Leah, CGC

Barked: Thu Nov 10, '11 9:15am PST 
Sweet Caroline - glad you found it helpful! Always nice when my old posts reappear to help more Dogster's!
[notify]
» There has since been -1 posts. Last posting by Leah, CGC, Nov 10 9:15 am

Dog Health > TOYS MADE IN CHINA-ERR!!

Leah, CGC

Barked: Fri Nov 4, '11 12:06pm PST 
I am like 99% sure these are handmade in the US -->Tuffie Toys
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Tanuk CGC , Nov 6 11:51 am

Dog Health > Has anyone ever had experience with a dog hip replacement?
Leah, CGC

Barked: Fri Nov 4, '11 12:02pm PST 
Was he given sedation or anesthesia when his xrays were taken? If so do you know what they gave him?

Have you consulted with a board certified surgeon or had xrays reviewed by board certified radiologist? or PENNHIP or OFA reviewed?

I ask because poor positioning due to pain, or muscle/tendon tension can make hip xrays very difficult to interpret for a general practioner. We see many dogs that have been misdiagnosed by their regular vet for severe hip dysplasia when the rads do not actually support that diagnosis. It is not the general practioner's fault -- its just that Hip Dysplasia is actually difficult to diagnosis in most cases through xray unless you are very very skilled in reading the xrays.

This website (although I do not 100% agree with everything they suggest) has a very good article on how to tell if the xrays you have are of good quality or not. The Importance of Good Positioning on Canine Hip X-rays - leerburg.com

Honestly I would suggest a consult with a board certified surgeon to discuss risk/benefits of surgery - see if they would even suggest surgery based on symptoms/diagnostics - and how long each surgical intervention is going to last before it may require replacement. There are different types of surgical interventions for HD and some of the hardware used has a shorter period of time it will remain useful meaning it may be better to wait until symptoms progress before just going right ahead.

This link will help you find a board certified surgeon near you. ACVS-American College of Veterinary Surgeons-Find a Surgeon Page

This article (ACThis article (ACVS-H article (ACVS-HD inicle (ACVS-HD in Dog (ACVS-HD in Dogs
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Cricket 2007-2011 , Nov 10 12:37 pm

(Page 1 of 277: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.