Postings by Madalyn's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 466: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dogster Railroad > Need Help: Transport 1 dog from Tennessee to Idaho
Cookie

Your Never Too- Big To Be A Lap- Dog

Barked: Thu Apr 7, '11 7:25pm PST 
Charlie needs help getting home. He needs to get to Burley Idaho from Cornersville Tennessee. Can anyone help this sweet guy?
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Cookie, Apr 7 7:25 pm

German Shepherd > Fur Saver Collars
Madalyn

Barked: Mon Jan 26, '09 3:08pm PST 
I have only used a rolled leather collar to stop fur breakage around the neck. They work really well.

Hopefully, someone with experience with the fur saver collars will come along soon to help you out.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Hearth, Jan 26 8:31 pm

German Shepherd > Food

Madalyn

Barked: Fri Jan 23, '09 1:35pm PST 
Maddie is still iching like a crazy woman and King is itchy too.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Benjamin Blackjack, Jan 23 7:08 pm

German Shepherd > Need advice!

Madalyn

Barked: Thu Jan 22, '09 3:31pm PST 
I suggest you playing one on one tug with the girls separately. You need to have some simple rules. You are the one who controls the game of tug. You bring the toy out. You say when to start the game and you say when to end it.

Let Velvet win at tug a few times but you need to win more than she does right now. She needs to learn that you and the other people in the house are above her in the pack. You and the other people have all of the good stuff and she must have good manners to get these things.

The same rules need to apply for Hope but let Hope win at tug more often. It will help build her confidence.

Be consistent in everything you do and praise all good behavior like crazy. Let the girls outside for potty or whatever separately until you feel comfortable that Velvet won't attack her.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Madalyn, Jan 22 3:31 pm

German Shepherd > How to clean a GSD

Madalyn

Barked: Thu Jan 22, '09 10:26am PST 
Snowy has what I think, Rosie calls vacucalm. Very cute

I vacuum King sometimes and I have taken the shopvac blower to him also. He doesn't care.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Benjamin Blackjack, Jan 23 4:36 am

German Shepherd > Food
Madalyn

Barked: Thu Jan 22, '09 3:34am PST 
My dogs eat the TOTW Pacific Stream but they are on home cooked right now.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Benjamin Blackjack, Jan 23 7:08 pm

German Shepherd > \"Odiferous\" Babies

King

King

Barked: Thu Jan 22, '09 3:15am PST 
Two of my dogs used to eat Iams and they had bad doggy odor, gas and road kill breath. I switched to a grain free food a little more than 2 years ago and all of that changed. My dogs don't have any dog odor at all, their breath smells like nothing, no smell to it at all and they rarely have gas (only when they have been given scraps of "safe" for them to eat people food).

Petco or PetsMart sells Blue Buffalo dog food and they have a grain free dry kibble. I think it's called Wilderness.

If you do decide to switch foods, remember that it will take some time before you see a difference (up to 2 months).
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Drake **ADOPTED**, Jan 25 5:33 pm

Madalyn

Barked: Tue Jan 20, '09 10:08am PST 
It sounds like Velvet's aggression towards Hope is mostly sibling rivalry and insecurity but partly prey driven because she continue's to attack Hope when she submits and cries. Velvet is also at the "bratty teenager" stage and getting very close to her first heat cycle and she will be testing all boundaries.

My first suggestion is to start using NILIF and getting Velvet into a basic obedience class or training basic obedience yourself at home. Hope would also benefit from a second beginner obedience class or some short one on one training sessions at home. It will help build her confidence. Having everyone in the family on the same page and doing the same things will also be very good and speed up the process of resolving this issue.

Do the girls have/like squeaky toys, tugs and do they like to play fetch/tug?

Squeaking squeaky toys, playing tug and fetch satisfy a dogs natural prey drive and helps release pent up nervous energy. They also help build confidence which I think Hope really needs right now.

Since Velvet's behavior has escalated it is not going to be easy to correct, but, if you stick to the NILIF and supervise the girls every second while they are together and step in and correct Velvet for even the slightest aggressive behavior every single time she does it. It will get better.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Madalyn, Jan 22 3:31 pm

Madalyn

Barked: Mon Jan 19, '09 6:04am PST 
Is there a particular room in the house where the fights occur most often? Who is in the room when the fights happen. Are there any toys or any other favorite items around when the fights happen? Has Velvet or Hope had any basic obedience training? Does Velvet stand tall and straight and place her head over Hope's back? Does Velvet put her paws over Hope's back? Does Velvet raise her hackles or give Hope long, hard stares? Does Hope do any of these behaviors? Are the Chihuahua and Daschund male or female and are they spayed/neutered? Has Velvet had a heat cycle yet? What sex is the big neighbor's dog and is the dog spayed or neutered?

Sorry about all of the questions but it will be helpful to know these things in order for me to be able to try to offer advice.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by Madalyn, Jan 22 3:31 pm

German Shepherd > SHEDDING
King

King

Barked: Fri Jan 16, '09 5:54pm PST 
King and Maddie together can shed a lot of hair. I use a zoom groom a short toothed undercoat rake and a pin brush that also has another side that is some type of finishing brush. A bath gets a lot more hair out than just brushing also.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by CH Snowy, CGC, TDI, HC, HIC, Jan 16 7:46 pm

(Page 1 of 466: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.