Postings by Oliver's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 33: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Raw Food Diet > Rabbits
Spartagus

im the boss of- all the toys!

Barked: Mon Sep 29, '08 2:06pm PST 
We're raising bunnies for meat for our dogs and we just plan to shoot them in the head. One single non-lead bullet won't hurt them if they ingest it (so I'm told) but it most likely will just exit out the back. That's our game plan for now anyway - we won't know how it all works out for sure until our first litter is old enough/weigh enough for us to kill.

We hunt bunnies and we've always just shot them, like any other animal, and had no issues with the dogs eating them as the bullets have all had exit wounds.

I think that a shot to the head is least traumatic/painful to the rabbit and is more humane than some of the other ideas I've heard (which are very similar to the ones you mentioned).

Good luck - let me know what you decide to do if it's different than shooting them - I'm always open to a good suggestion.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Dogster HQ, Sep 30 10:19 am

Raw Food Diet > Adding in the veggies
Spartagus

Barked: Mon Sep 29, '08 2:04pm PST 
Thanks guys for your responses. I am talking about adding veggies to the dog's diet - not the bunnies smile The bunnies are on a high quality rabbit food as well as fresh hay and some veggies.

I just wanted to make sure that when feeding whole prey additional sources of nutrients weren't essential to the feeding program. My dogs love fresh fruit and veggies that fall on the floor while I'm cooking so they'll continue getting those but I guess they won't need a special blend of veggies as a suppliment then.

Thanks! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Meridian, Sep 29 10:20 pm

Raw Food Diet > Adding in the veggies

Spartagus

Barked: Fri Sep 26, '08 2:29pm PST 
I have recently begun raising bunnies to feed to the dogs whole-prey style and am wondering what veggies can/should be added to the diet and in what amounts to make it balanced.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated! blue dog
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Meridian, Sep 29 10:20 pm

Raw Food Diet > Poop

Spartagus

Barked: Sat Sep 20, '08 6:29pm PST 
Hi Everyone! smile

I've heard two different things about poop from raw fed dogs. One source said the poops would be smaller, firmer, and darker than the average dog on a commercial kibble, while another source says the poops will also be smaller and firmer, but be lighter in color and turn almost white in the sunlight because of the higher content of bone in raw food compared to kibble.

So I understand the poop should be smaller and firmer as the body is utilizing all the available nutrients from the food as efficiently as possible (something it just can't do on crappy commercial kibbles) - but what color should it be?

Thanks!
snoopy
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Gray Dawn Treader, Sep 21 2:39 pm

Dogs & Travel > Please don't judge me......strollers

Oliver

i'm so cute even- cats think im- sexy!

Barked: Fri Jul 18, '08 12:24pm PST 
Hi!

I had to use a stroller when I broke my leg and couldn't go for long walks or keep up with my brothers when mom would take us out. She just bought a baby stroller from a new and used place for $15 and then modified it so she could put me in a harness and clip it to the stroller so I could stand but not jump or fall out. She also made some cool extra "handle bars" to prevent me from leaning or standing over the sides of the stroller. It was cheap and worked super well. smile Good luck!

Oliver
[notify]
» There has since been 26 posts. Last posting by Sunny & Buster , Aug 1 7:20 am

Sports & Agility > Springer Spaniel/Gundog Training (MT)
Lily

gundog training- 101: chasing- butterflies

Barked: Fri Jul 18, '08 10:14am PST 
Thank you for the suggestions smile I wonder if any of those authors have DVDs out as well - will have to check on Amazon.

I've never hunted anything before so this will be a very new experience for both of us, but Lily is showing so much instinct that I just couldn't let her go a life without doing what she was designed to do - even if it means adopting a previously unthought of sport for myself. smile

When you reference positive reinforcement - are you talking something like the click and treat methods?

Thanks,
Samantha & Lily
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Mocha Bear (Mokie), VGG, KPA, , Jul 18 12:31 pm

Sports & Agility > Springer Spaniel/Gundog Training (MT)

Lily

gundog training- 101: chasing- butterflies

Barked: Thu Jul 17, '08 11:08am PST 
Hello Everyone! smile

My most recent addition to my pack is an English Springer Spaniel puppy. She is already showing a lot of natural instinct and 'birdiness' and I'm looking for information/resources on training a spaniel for flushing and retreiving. Does anyone have any books/DVDs they would recommend to get started? Anyone hunt with their Spaniel? Anyone in Montana or SW Idaho??

Thanks so much!! smile
Samantha & Lily
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Mocha Bear (Mokie), VGG, KPA, , Jul 18 12:31 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > When adopting, how do you know

Spartagus

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '08 10:36am PST 
When I got all three of my current dogs none happened the way I had thought they would.

I wasn't even looking for a dog when I met Bandit at a ranch I was working at when I was 15. We instantly connected and he flew home with me at the end of the summer.

I adopted a fabulous dog over the summer that killed two cats. He was a great dog just didn't know when enough was enough with the kitties and accidently killed them. Because I go places with cats and bring the dogs he just wouldn't work for me. Just like the poster with the sister and the running dog, Kodiak was a great dog, just not for me because cats are inevitable at barns and ranches I travel too.

After returning him to the shelter I still wanted a second dog and began looking. I drove all over Montana looking for an adult dog that was already house and leash trained. Instead what I found was my little Spartagus. Possibly the best dog I've ever owned. He was just a fat little puppy in PetsMart with the local animal shelter. I picked him up just to look at him and it was like WAM! I had to have him. He just hit me and I'm so glad I didn't let my idea of getting an adult dog get in the way.

With Oliver I knew I wanted a Pomi, but was just browsing. When I met him I didn't even bring my check book. I was *just looking!*. Well when I met him he just was so dang cute and fuzzy (and in need of some medical care, the breeders weren't the best... frown ). So I went to the closest bank and paid for him. It was a bit of an impulse but he's just the coolest little dog ever. I could see it right from the beginning. He hikes, runs, bikes, intertubes down the river with me, goes with me horseback riding.

I think when you meet your new partner you'll know it. It just feels right and you shouldn't deny it. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by Sisko, Jan 16 3:49 pm

Dogster Lifestyle, News & Entertainment > Sweatshirts

Oliver

i'm so cute even- cats think im- sexy!

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '08 10:23am PST 
Hi!!

My mom got me some cool sweatshirts from PetEdge.com - they feel just like real human ones she says!! But it does have a hood...shrug I don't think you wanted a hood right? Well if you change your mind check them out. She loves them! I hear you can also get human ones at Target or something and maybe get a sewing savvy person to tailor it a little to your frame.

Good luck! smile

http://apparelandaccessories.petedge.com/Casual-Canine-Hooded-Sp orts-Sweatshirts-ZW408.pro?parentCategoryId=189&categoryId=198&subCa tegoryId=211
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Turner - Gone Too Soon, Jan 19 8:04 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Multiple dog families
Spartagus

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '08 5:09pm PST 
I have three of my own dogs (Border Collie, Border Collie X, and Pomeranian) and I don't feel overwhelmed emotionally or financially by having them. They bring so much love and happiness into my life that I am often put out as well by the accusatory people who suggest that I've crossed some socially accepted boundary of limiting oneself to two or less dogs. My boyfriend has a Lab, and occasionally we have a foster dog, so it makes 5 in the house and that can feel like a bit much since the house is small, but as the owner of only three well behaved, slightly smaller dogs I think it's just perfect! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by ♥ Crazy Daisy ♥, Jan 12 6:42 pm

(Page 1 of 33: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.