Postings by My Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 82: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Laws & Legislation > Iditarod Dog's Fate Unclear After Attacking Child
Khuno

Chain free is- the way to be!

Barked: Sat Jul 13, '13 7:26pm PST 
It makes me so incredibly sad that people continue to think that chaining these dogs and treating them as non-sentient working machines is okay. I will never, ever understand it. These dogs belong in homes with families. They can still work and be treated properly.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Nov 11 12:22 pm

Dog Laws & Legislation > Iditarod Dog's Fate Unclear After Attacking Child
Khuno

Barked: Mon May 20, '13 6:24am PST 
"A 2-year-old girl seriously injured when a dog attacked her Friday at a top Iditarod musher's Big Lake kennel is expected to survive, her father said Sunday.... Shuck said his daughter, Elin, was with her mother and siblings at musher Jake Berkowitz's Apex Kennels Friday when a dog broke the "S-hook" that kept it tethered and attacked her. Her mother twice pulled the dog off her and used her son's shirt to try to stop the bleeding, troopers said."

Read more here: Dog attack on young girl took place at Iditarod musher's kennel.

And here is a recent update, along with video of the horrible conditions that Jake Berkowitz's Iditarod dogs live in: Sled Dog Awaits Fate After Attack

The fact that his dogs are chained and socially neglected has direct connection to aggressive behavior, which is one of the many reasons why the chaining of sled dogs (or any dog) needs to stop. Read more on why it's wrong to chain here: Break The Chains - Save The Sled Dogs
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by , Nov 11 12:22 pm

Sports & Agility > Iditarod dog buried alive in snow.

Khuno

Barked: Wed May 15, '13 6:28am PST 
And how people treat their dogs is EVERYONE'S business. Animal welfare is a law, not a personal choice.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , May 15 6:28 am

Alaskan Husky > Please help save Alaskan Huskies from abuse.

Khuno

Barked: Tue May 14, '13 6:48pm PST 
It's sad that you choose to perpetuate the abuse just because you think it is "saving" the sport. The sport needs HUMANE mushers, not people who chain and abuse animals. wave
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , May 14 6:48 pm

Khuno

Barked: Tue May 14, '13 6:45pm PST 
I still have photos and videos - that you posted and then removed (due to caring guardians complaining about the conditions) of how you chain/house your dogs - saved on my computer. You, like much of the mushing community, think treating these dogs like soulless objects is okay. I wouldn't expect you to find an issue with the abuse you witness at the kennels you work for. I've been mushing for fifteen years, and all of the abuse and cruelty that is inherent in this sport is verifiable. I have also photo-documented much of it, as have others. If you choose to support animal abuse, please do it elsewhere.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , May 15 6:28 am

Khuno

Barked: Sun Mar 17, '13 1:44pm PST 
I've been involved in sled dog sports for 15 years. I don't want to ban mushing. I support humane mushing. Unfortunately, the majority of mushers are not humane. There is no reason - other than greed - to have more dogs than you can happily and safely keep in your home.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by , May 15 6:28 am

Khuno

Barked: Sun Mar 17, '13 10:06am PST 
I was 17 when I moved to Minnesota to work for an Iditarod/Quest kennel. 75 dogs at the time. Sun-up to sun-down handler duties.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by , May 15 6:28 am

Khuno

Barked: Sun Mar 17, '13 9:20am PST 
No one chains someone who "means everything to them" outside among tens of hundreds of others. Accepted husbandry practices are cruel, and that is part of the problem with the sport is that so many people accept it as the norm.
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by , May 15 6:28 am

Khuno

Barked: Sun Mar 17, '13 8:31am PST 
I've been involved in sled dog sports for 15 years. I've handled for/lived with numerous Iditarod and Yukon Quest mushers, including a multiple champion musher in Alaska. I'm a representative for the Sled Dog Action Coalition and have tabled for the organization in Albany. Humane mushing is fine. The Iditarod, and much of professional racing, is inhumane. There are too many accepted cruelties in this sport. How sled dogs are housed is just one of them.

You can visit my personal page at Break The Chains - Save The Sled Dogs for more of my personal experiences.

I encourage you to speak out about the atrocities that you no doubt witnessed. You are not alone. What you saw was not okay. Please speak for the dogs who cannot speak for themselves. I was recently interviewed for a new animal rights book by author Mark Hawthorne. I'm glad that he will be discussing some of the atrocities I witnessed at Iditarod, Quest and other racing kennels.
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by , May 15 6:28 am

Khuno

Barked: Sun Mar 17, '13 6:40am PST 
The cause of death for a dog that died while at a checkpoint during the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race has been determined as "asphyxiation as the result of being buried by snow in severe wind conditions," race officials said Saturday.

https://www.facebook.com/helpsleddogs
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , May 15 6:28 am

(Page 1 of 82: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.