GO!

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

Dog Health > Excessive licking of her lady parts....need suggestions
Lady Bug

I'm your get- around dog

Barked: Sat Oct 29, '11 12:10pm PST 
Hello all,

I was hoping to get some suggestion for June. She's a 5 year old pittie. Lately, well this happens in spurts, she's been incessantly licking her vagina. The effect of doing so cause her to piddle some. Well she does it in the middle of the night when I'm sleeping so I wake up to a find a wet spot. I'm to the point where I'm gonna try her on some doggie jammies (underwear to be, but jammies doesn't sound as bad) see if it will block her from licking down there.

Now she's been to vet multiple times for this. She has a normal uterus, vagina, no UTI's. They've done ultrasounds, they can't find anything anatomically, her blood work is normal. We've tried her on PROIN kinda worked, sorta, but thats for bladder strength, and well her licking is more like stimulating a puppy who's learning how to pee, the licking causes piddling. Besides she won't take the PROIN anymore. The other night we were watching tv, and she and her hind end smelled, like yeast to me. I know thats gross. Oh and she's been on behavior modifying drugs to curb the licking those didn't work.

After finding the odor. My thoughts are now that this may likely be a yeast issue. And that her lady parts are getting itchy thus why she's licking so much and incidentally making herself piddle.

So I brought her into the shower, and i washed her hind end with Dial Antibacterial soap to start, low and behold the foul odor that escaped of her when rinsed, I repeated. Hopefully thats a start. I may have to clean her weekly.

Does anyone know any good websites or supplements, for dogs, that aid in controlling yeast overgrowth?
Benadryl maybe work to control itchiness??

Any suggestions at this point would be helpful, I open to try just about anything, we've gone down medical road.

Thanks, sorry for long post.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by , Oct 30 8:37 pm

Food & Nutrition > Taste Of The Wild
Buddy

I'll watch that- shake for ya

Barked: Sat Nov 6, '10 8:54pm PST 
Our dogs kick their bowls around for TOTW. Our Vet noticed instantly how much better their coat was, and it has peaked his interest, he does not force Purina or SD on people. We use the Pacific Stream formula, I will say I did do a rotation for awhile with the Bison and then Fowl diet....but the Fowl diet, causes a lot of gas for our pitties. It does tend to make their stool hard, I agree with the other poster on that.

To remedy the hard stool. 2 days a week I substitute the bison or fowl canned food for the pack, seems to help and moisture to their diet, and most importantly less gas.

Last note, the feeding recommendation on the back is well a good guide. We recently discovered that one of our dogs lost 4 lbs on this stuff, so she obviously will need way more than whats recommended, and the others need less because its rich, you might have to toy with it for a bit.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Nov 6 8:54 pm

Dog Health > Riley peed the bed in her sleep?

Lady Bug

I'm your get- around dog

Barked: Sat Nov 6, '10 8:38pm PST 
I would have to agree with Riley, its probably Hormonal. Lady June Bug went through numerous ultrasounds, urinalysis, nothing. We even tried behavior modifying drugs, those didnt work. She pee's in her sleep, although she doesnt wake up, she's confused when she gets up in the morning, unless it wakes me up cause I feel the wetness near my feet- i know thats gross. She goes through spikes, she'll be good for a few months, then have a relapse and wet the bed and or numerous accidents in the house. She also is spayed, and at one time was a mama- both which mess with hormones.

I dont know any special hormone tests that can really pin point the problem. There are drugs to help keep her at bay. Right now Lady is on the max dose of Proin. But when this expires our vet said some new medication has come about to try on her. If its a reoccurring problem and you cant muster it up to get up at 12 or 1, I do, doggie diapers might not be a bad idea if this continues. Of course see your veterinarian and discuss the issues.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Nov 7 10:26 pm

Dog Health > heartworms and weight

Lady Bug

I'm your get- around dog

Barked: Fri Nov 5, '10 11:44am PST 
Back from the vet, she lost 4 lbs shock
I wasn't expecting that- I knew she was petite girl ,but darn. He recommended to try adding a little bit of puppy, to her normal diet, hopefully we'll get some weight back. Then were going to have to try adding more of her regular food to a meal to sustain. She already gets 3 meals a day. Either way she's still very spunky and happy and everything else on her is good working order, most of the time.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Nov 5 11:44 am

Dog Health > heartworms and weight

Lady Bug

I'm your get- around dog

Barked: Fri Nov 5, '10 6:02am PST 
I wasnt sure whether or not to post this here or in nutrition.
Lady was adopted, we got her when she was 2, she's now 4. When we adopted her, we were well aware that she just went through HW tx. When we took her home, after her immediate vet appt for a physical, she was 36 lbs- way underweight for a pittie. I know HW causes weight loss during the disease, but I wonder if stunts weight growth after the treatment?

Its taken 2 years to get her to 48.5 lbs. I would like her to her to be 50-53 lbs, our male pittie is 60 super thick and muscular. Lady is so petite- still very cute- but seeing her ribs and hinkling of her spine bugs me. I wish she would pack a little meat on her bones, around her abdomen.

Now the nutrition part, we feed all four of our pups TOTW wild fishy formula. Which is pretty low fat. One of our dogs has pancreatitis so she cant eat high fatty foods the other has food allergy to grain. I dont want to change Lady's food, but I wonder if buy a little bit of Solid Gold, they have dry kibble thats more fatty if she'll gain the remaining weight? I dont think she will gain on this leaner formula, I dont want to give her fat boosts like pup food I dont want her to be fat just more beefy.

Shes riding along to vet for a weight, while the other gets his physical. See how much she weighs shrug
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Nov 5 11:44 am

Behavior & Training > Dogs fighting over food
Zipper CGC

Rub my belly

Barked: Sun Aug 8, '10 7:47pm PST 
Maybe try "stationing". You can use something as simple as a little floor mat or kitchen rug. Get one for each dog. Its a very simple behavior to train and provides structure. If both have a great sit, ask them "station" on the mat. Once they understand the command, make it part of the feeding ritual. If they station and sit quietly they get their food, reward etc... When they're done eating, if the Beagle Pit finishes first, ask her to station again. They should be interested in participating again because they are getting another treat after they eat. I know this would take some time and dedication to the training but it does pay off in the long run. Oh and after eating use a command like "free" whatever to tell the dog it can leave the station.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Aug 9 4:48 am

Dog Health > cuts & scrapes

Lady Bug

I'm your get- around dog

Barked: Tue Jul 27, '10 7:50pm PST 
It is probably ok to clean and wrap those to open areas for your agility class so they don't continue to bleed. But increased exercise ups the blood pressure, so if its actively bleeding a bit the agility may make it heal slower. The best thing to do though is leave it to the air, it will help it heal faster. You can put Polysporin on it, Neosporin usually has additional steroids that aren't the best for dogs.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by , Jul 27 7:50 pm

Dog Health > Can't seem to find a good answer

Zipper CGC

Rub my belly

Barked: Tue Jul 27, '10 7:38pm PST 
Have you done an allergy test yet? They are kinda pricy but may help pin point some issues? It is difficult to sort through food and their ingredients. For Zip we thought it was lamb first, then it was grain, which tremendously helped removing that, but we finally discovered he has to have a rotation of the protein. He can not eat the same meat protein for an extended period of time otherwise his allergy comes back. It was an easy fix just giving him a different protein once a week. I hope you find a solution soon, I understand the time and difficulty it takes to figure these things out.wishes
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , Jul 29 1:35 pm

Dog Health > Lick Granulomas

Buddy

I'll watch that- shake for ya

Barked: Tue Jul 27, '10 7:27pm PST 
Buddy has a lick granuloma. He's already been through antibiotics which cleared up the infection. Now he's just left with a glossy red bump that grows no hair back. He never did lick it much after treatment, so we never had to E collar him.

I was just curious if anyone else who's dealt with these, what is the best way to heal the skin and get the hair back after the infection is gone?
Wrap it, or maybe us Neosporin or some other steroid cream?
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Jul 28 10:44 am

Dog Health > Toe Injuries
Zipper CGC

Rub my belly

Barked: Sun May 23, '10 7:47pm PST 
Just trying to get a consensus on how effective a vet visit was for those who've had a toe injury of sorts.

We took Zip hiking, swimming and a play date on a Saturday. He was gimpy when we got home, next day he couldn't walk much was pretty sore.

His toe is a little swollen, so he's been getting some Aspirin here and there. Which helps, but he continues to over lick the two toes on his back foot, and when he sits he doesn't put pressure on them and when he walks he kinda struts that back hock out to side, and doesn't walk with a straight gait.

Im just curious if taking him to vet will be a complete waste of money especially if its one of those leave it alone and it will take time things. Ultimately I would never deprive him of medical care, Im just wondering if others have found these sorts of vet visits worth the money.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by , May 24 8:34 am

(Page 1 of 9: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.