Postings by Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 377: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Behavior & Training > Muzzle Trouble
Risa- W-FDM/MF RE- RL1 CA CGC

Awesome Dog

Barked: Tue Jun 17, '14 4:11am PST 
Well said, Mulder!
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC, Jun 17 4:11 am

Behavior & Training > Trouble finding socialization oppertunites! PLEASE HELP!

Awesome Dog

Barked: Mon Jun 16, '14 6:28am PST 
I agree with Cohen. This is not the proper way to introduce your fearful dog to other dogs. He reacts that way because he wants to increase his distance from other dogs. Letting dogs get close to him is the exact opposite of what he wants and is only going to overwhelm him and make him worse. It's not going to show him that other dogs are "okay." It doesn't matter how nice the other dogs are. He's afraid of them regardless of their disposition.

Risa is also afraid of other dogs and used to have huge barking/lunging meltdowns at the mere sight of another dog. So I know exactly what you're going through. I also did not have access to friendly, stable dogs to work with her. I didn't need to, however (though it would have made things a bit easier with predictable "guinea pigs"). I spent a lot of time using classical conditioning to change her association with dogs. Any time she saw another dog I would stuff her full of awesome treats. No dog, no treats. Seeing a dog became a predictor of good things happening rather than scariness. She began to look forward to seeing dogs on our walks rather than bristling and getting ready to scare them off with an aggressive display. You can work on this with dogs in yards, at the dog park (with you OUTSIDE OF IT), outside pet stores or a vet's office, etc. You do not need to be close and you don't want to be at the start. Your dog should be far enough away that he doesn't feel the need to react but still notices the other dogs.

Don't worry about socializing one-on-one with other dogs at this point. That may be years down the road (or never). But basically forcing him to interact with his own kind at this point is going to make things worse rather than better.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Onyx & Ruby, Jun 16 10:41 am

Behavior & Training > Best Dog Training Methods?

Awesome Dog

Barked: Thu Apr 24, '14 1:28pm PST 
I'm closest to number 1 but that isn't exactly how I train. Yes, I reward what I like and I ignore some behaviors I don't like. But I also manage situations so that my dogs can't help but provide the right response so that I can reward it. And, if they "are bad" it's usually because they weren't ready for that much freedom/exposure/pressure, etc. I do occasionally use negative punishment (removal of something desired) and have used negative reinforcement (removal of something unpleasant) once in a while. My focus is mainly on rewarding what my dog does right rather than worrying about what she's doing wrong. And, if she is doing something "wrong," I try and figure out how I can help her succeed rather than worry about telling her she's wrong.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Apr 28 5:18 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > What is your dream dog(s)?

Awesome Dog

Barked: Thu Apr 24, '14 1:16pm PST 
A border whippet (border collie/whippet cross). They remind me of a lot of what I like about Risa (and her ACD/whippet friend, Rio). I also like that they're fast, biddable, and smart. Not as quirky and high-strung as a pure border collie can be and not as ho-hum as a whippet tends to be. Besides, I LOVE lurchers and this is one of the few ways you can get one state-side. Especially the herding/sighthound cross version (most seem to be terrier mixes).

I actually was on the wait list to get a border whippet puppy this spring but life got in the way of that dream. frown (That, and I'm not 100% sure right now is the time for a puppy of any sort.) Some day.
[notify]
» There has since been 12 posts. Last posting by Twister, May 11 6:01 pm

Behavior & Training > Sudden aggression towards roommates?

Awesome Dog

Barked: Fri Apr 18, '14 4:44am PST 
I'm going to go against the grain and say it's not dominance. I don't follow that theory as it's been disproven time and time again. Corrections are also not going to eliminate the issue. Yes, you might make the growling stop. But now you've lost a valuable piece of information your dog is telling you. Growling is not bad. It is communication. A way for your dog to let you know something makes him uncomfortable. It's up to you to both discover what it is that makes him uneasy and how to remedy that situation.

I do, however, agree with the above posters that you need to work on trading valuable resources. And definitely get the roommates involved. It would also be prudent to take him in for a veterinary visit to see if he's ill as that can cause behavior changes. So can any recent changes in the household. You mention Tesla is a relatively new addition. It's possible that has upset the balance and caused your dog to feel a bit more insecure. Positive, upbeat, and fun training can really help him regain some of his confidence which might also diminish some of the behaviors you're noticing. I would also increase his mental and physical exercise. All dogs, especially young ones, benefit from that.

Good luck.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC, Apr 18 4:44 am

Behavior & Training > My "poor" dogs...lol.

Awesome Dog

Barked: Tue Apr 8, '14 6:22am PST 
I like to let my dogs be dogs on walks. Marking, sniffing, etc. All fine. As long as they listen when cued and do not pull. smile

Risa is dog reactive and fearful. When I first got her, I wanted her to walk alongside me in heel without sniffing, attempting to chase prey, lunging at dogs, sniffing people, etc. It never worked (more due to my ineptitude at the time than anything else) and I eventually decided I didn't need that out of her. Besides, we didn't have a yard or a safe place for her to "be a dog" and do those things dogs need and like to do. On a leash walk was her only chance.

I think loosening up on a walk was one of the best things I did for her. Not only did it allow her time for dog things, it gave her a chance to investigate the world. To see that not everything was out to get her. She takes so much in stride now and actively investigates things that startle her.

Now that's not to say I am irresponsible about my reactive dog who walks with the freedom of all 6 feet of her leash. Not at all. There is still structure to our walks. If we're passing a crowd of people, I ask her to walk close alongside me. (I sometimes let her keep walking because she simply ignores people and keeps her distance naturally but I usually ask her to come in.) I also always have her walk close to me when we are passing dogs. Sometimes even to the point of moving far off the path if I think she's a bit unnerved by that dog. She usually will start pulling off to the side in advance if she's uncomfortable so I follow suit to give her the space she needs to feel comfortable.

Just because you let your reactive dog spend time sniffing trees, stalking squirrels, and marking doesn't mean you're being irresponsible. Our walks aren't a free for all nor are they rigidly structured. I just can't expect my dog to walk in heel with attention on me 100% of the time for 3-4 miles. Nor do I want it. Our "fun walk" involves both structure and time for enjoyment.
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Risa W-FDM/MF RE RL1 CA CGC, Apr 8 6:22 am

Raw Food Diet > Howdy strangers!

Awesome Dog

Barked: Thu Mar 27, '14 1:42pm PST 
Hellooooo there! From another who isn't around much anymore. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Savannah Blue Belle, Apr 7 8:01 am

Choosing the Right Dog > what breed does he look like?

Awesome Dog

Barked: Tue Mar 25, '14 1:42pm PST 
Looks like a Australian cattle dog mix to me. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by , Apr 3 9:36 pm

Puppy Place > New Puppy!!

Awesome Dog

Barked: Sun Mar 23, '14 3:48pm PST 
Congratulations! He's absolutely precious.
[notify]
» There has since been 22 posts. Last posting by Hershey, May 30 6:34 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Help I fell in love with a dog!

Awesome Dog

Barked: Sat Mar 22, '14 6:13am PST 
I agree with the consensus. Apply anyway. If things are meant to be, they will be. And, having worked with a rescue, I know the first application doesn't always pan out. Sometimes even things don't work out after the adoption and the dog ends up back with the rescue again.

Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Sarah, CW-SR, CW-G1, CGC, Mar 25 7:27 pm

(Page 1 of 377: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.