Postings by Root's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 40: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Laws & Legislation > dog Fighting Alive and Well.....
Root

if life gives u- lemons,play- fetch w them

Barked: Mon Mar 3, '08 5:35pm PST 
there have been a number of sites out there that try to get people to see what is wrong with something by pretending to do it... such as kittens in jars, eating dog meat, selling pets for research, and now dog fighting.

the site, if you read all of it, is actually quite amusing.

proof that it was made by an animal rights activist:
"Animals die, it's what they do, but some are bred just to be killed. Your local fish hatchery isn't wrong for breeding thousands of fish just to release them for the sport-kill of licensed fishermen. This is barely different, except that instead of the Department of Fish & Game taking the $32 a head, you'll get to keep it. Never mind the brutality suffered to put a steak on your table, eggs in your omelet or that gorgeous panda fur you wear around your neck while shopping for ivory."
laugh out loud
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by Shadow NPC, MDM, Mar 10 6:43 pm

Behavior & Training > thoughts and opinions?
Random

i fit perfectly- in your lap...

Barked: Wed Feb 13, '08 3:45pm PST 
Kiona, as always, I have to say that you are right. My thoughts were not that both owners have continued to let this happen... just that the other dog is obviously the instigator. And I agree that both owners need to do a better job of protecting their dogs, especially since it has been clear for some time now that there is a problem.

But I do want to add that most dogs should be able to enjoy walks and off leash time together. And the owner of the smaller dog, not being the problem, should expect to enjoy these social gatherings. So in a way, I still see the problem as being the out of control dog.
For example: Random was recently injured at the dog park. I expect that we can still go there, but that the dog that caused the problem will not return until the owners have better control.

So maybe now I am sticking to my original opinion. You're wrong, I'm right!
laugh out loud
But I'm never posting after you again Kiona, you are much too good of an arguer. For that matter, to be on the safe side, I can't post before you either. I guess I'll just hang in crushes or something...
laugh out loud

In the end, being that these people obviously gather socially, I think that whatever caused the least amount of strife was the best resolution and applaud the maturity as well. I hope that the dog walking club continues to meet and is enjoyed by all.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by , Feb 13 4:14 pm

Behavior & Training > thoughts and opinions?

Random

i fit perfectly- in your lap...

Barked: Tue Feb 12, '08 8:04pm PST 
I agree that these dogs should be separated.
and that the other owner needs a back up exercise plan.

but as to how this played out: it sounds backwards to me.
it sounds like the dog was out of control and being rude and (really) caused the problem.
therefore, I would think that the owner, not the other dog owner, should be responsible for the vet bills.
...but thats just my opinion...
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by , Feb 13 4:14 pm

Behavior & Training > special needs of hybrids, coydogs, \"Native American Indian Dogs\"

Dent

whats a couch?

Barked: Mon Feb 11, '08 3:59pm PST 
Thanks for the info Kiona and Chufee, I thought I had heard something like that, but I didn't want to pass on wrong "facts"...
I also thought bi-eyed was pretty rare, but it sounds like it is more common than I thought (or at least it was in Kiona's example litter).

OK, I know, I know, I am completely off of my own topic at this point. (or I am? We are still talking about bad breeding decisions, which took up a good chunk of my OP!)

Tikka: Great examples!
laugh out loud
And if you get that response, post it back here?

And thanks everyone (again and again and again) for the support and the award! (Being nominated for a nonexistent award is award enough for me!)
I guess I am still feeding off of the support. Dent is feeling much better after his surgery and has proved it by eating some more desk, a large chunk of tile, and a towel (I don't think he swallowed any, I accounted for the majority of it).
We continue to work on this. I am typing this holding my keys and wearing my coat! ...back to walking around carrying my bag...
[notify]
» There has since been 10 posts. Last posting by Arrow, Sep 22 11:17 am

Behavior & Training > special needs of hybrids, coydogs, \"Native American Indian Dogs\"

Dent

whats a couch?

Barked: Sun Feb 10, '08 9:11am PST 
Chaska, that is also a good theory. i guess i will never know...
but: the people contacted by the shelter did say that they were coming to get him... but then, maybe, they contacted the people they gave him to and they didn't return to get him?

Kiona, aren't many puppies born with blue eyes? i think i remember reading somewhere that people were promised blue-eyed pups, and received them (too young really to have been separated from mom) and later the eyes changed color.
again, an unethical breeder, breeding for the wrong reasons and making unreasonable promises...
[notify]
» There has since been 18 posts. Last posting by Arrow, Sep 22 11:17 am

Dent

whats a couch?

Barked: Sat Feb 9, '08 4:49pm PST 
I want to thank everyone again for their support and suggestions. We continue to spend most of our time working on desensitization and have seen some minor improvements. Whether our techniques are working (or if Dent's mouth is just too sore following surgery to destroy anything) remains to be seen.

Manitou and Niuluk- welcome to Dogster!

And Niuluk, thank you for your very informative post.

Manitou, while I am certainly happy to hear that you have not yet experienced any problems with your not-a-mutt, I do have to point out that you have a puppy. I can only hope that your experience is better than mine (or any of the hundreds of others I read about while researching NAIDs). But if you do run into trouble soon, please keep us Dogsters in mind. If nothing else, the support I have received has been amazing and has helped through the worst part of it.

I do also want to say that the "breeder" that you purchased from was one of the sites I researched during my original post. If you look at the 2008 breeding plan (http://www.nighteyesfarms.net/litter_announcements.html), you will notice that they intend to breed six litters in 2008, the last one (winter) being a breeding from a female born of the summer breeding! That to me is a sign of a bad breeder (breeding a baby).

Also, the dogs from this breeder are registered with the Native American Indian Dog Registry- Kim La Flamme's registry, so they obviously have some connections.

I could continue to analyze the website (www.nighteyesfarms.net), but I think most Dogsters are already very skilled in such analysis and so I will let it go at those observations.

Again, thank you all for your help!!!
[notify]
» There has since been 21 posts. Last posting by Arrow, Sep 22 11:17 am

Behavior & Training > Trying to clicker train... not successful.

Root

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '08 4:24pm PST 
how loud is the clicker you are using? the only suggestion i have (sorry) is to try a much quieter one.
or click a pen or baby food jar, they are quieter.

and maybe that will allow you to work up to a regular clicker (because who wants to carry a jar of baby food around?!).
[notify]
» There has since been 25 posts. Last posting by Ginger DSA ThD TT CGC &hearts, Feb 19 2:38 pm

Dog Health > Breeding

Root

Barked: Mon Feb 4, '08 6:55pm PST 
it sounds like you are wanting to head in the right direction as far as becoming a breeder goes, but it also sounds like you are jumping the gun a bit in your excitement (and believing that you must, or should, breed on the second heat).

why don't you skip this one and read up some more, maybe find a few more contacts? by the next heat, only the third heat, you may find that you are ready, or you may find that you still have more to learn. but seriously, what will really be lost by waiting a few months and digging a bit deeper?

and I want to add that any mentor that insists that you go ahead before you are truly ready is not the best mentor. a good mentor will be there for you while you learn and will support you when you know the time is right.

I wish you the best of luck on your path and in your decisions!
[notify]
» There has since been 14 posts. Last posting by Dogster HQ, Feb 6 1:00 pm

Behavior & Training > Positive Sign for Crate Training?

Root

Barked: Sun Feb 3, '08 6:06pm PST 
you could cover the wire crate with a blanket or piece of fabric, rather than buying a whole new crate, if you think the old crate does not hold bad memories and you want to try giving more privacy...
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Jin, Feb 5 2:56 pm

Dent

whats a couch?

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '08 5:40pm PST 
Mommy will keep this short,
laugh out loud
as she has a lot of work to do tonight.

I had three teeth removed today. My two bottom canines and one bottom small tooth.

Instead of trying to make the main rooms of the house safe for me to be in uncrated, mommy has decided to move everything out of the bedroom. And that will be quite the job since she has been moving stuff into there for several months now.

So, thank you all, we will be back to visit tomorrow or so...
[notify]
» There has since been 28 posts. Last posting by Arrow, Sep 22 11:17 am

(Page 1 of 40: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.