Postings by Roswell, CGC, NPC's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 216: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > Kidney Failure
Charlie (at- the bridge)

Running free

Barked: Mon Mar 2, '15 9:15pm PST 
I'm so sorry for your loss. rainbowlittle angel
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Jasper, Mar 3 4:17 pm

Dog Health > Kidney Failure
Charlie (at- the bridge)

Running free

Barked: Sun Mar 1, '15 10:14am PST 
The Yahoo K9kidney group helped a lot when I was going through this with Charlie. Check them out. They have a lot of great advice and personal experience that can really help, especially when combined with your vet's expertise. Kidney disease is something that can sometimes be managed for a long time. Good luck!
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Jasper, Mar 3 4:17 pm

Dog Health > Oral osteosarcoma/maxillectomy

Roswell,- CGC, NPC

Cancer sucks :(

Barked: Fri Feb 27, '15 11:02am PST 
Roswell's doing well after his surgery. He's eating great and actually seems less sloppy when he drinks than before. wink He's on antibiotics, a few different pain medications, and some pepcid. His pain seems to be well managed and he's not giving any indication that it hurts. He needs to have soft food for the next three weeks at least. He doesn't look too much different, though when he pants he looks a bit weird. After only a few days, I'm still getting used to it.

The news was bad when she got in there though. We won't know for sure until the biopsy comes back, but she doesn't think she could get clean margins. Despite the CT showing it wasn't in the nasal passage, the surgeon saw evidence that is was. It had gone through the palate and into the soft tissue. cry We go back in next Friday to see
how it's healing and maybe discuss further treatment.
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Jasper, Feb 28 7:41 am

Party Time & Virtual Play Dates > Friends at the Rainbow Bridge!!

Charlie (at- the bridge)

Running free

Barked: Thu Feb 26, '15 10:55am PST 
Roswell's home and doing good. He's eating and taking his medications with no problems. He's a little bit stiff, but is getting around better than yesterday.

Tonight, my sisfur is going to be joining us at the bridge. frown ChiChi has been declining over the past couple weeks and Mom has decided that it's time she be released to come up here. She'll be reunited with my mom's grandma and they can snuggle together tonight. cloud 9 Mom's having a rough week, but this is something that she's been thinking about for a while and she knows that Chichi deserves a peaceful end. hug
[notify]
» There has since been 90 posts. Last posting by Charlie (at the bridge), Feb 26 10:55 am

Charlie (at- the bridge)

Running free

Barked: Tue Feb 24, '15 9:42pm PST 
Roswell had his surgery today. He's still at the dogter. Mom's hoping he can come home tomorrow. The news isn't so great since it looks like the cancer spread. But I'll keep hovering and hoping for better news as he recovers. little angel
[notify]
» There has since been 91 posts. Last posting by Charlie (at the bridge), Feb 26 10:55 am

Roswell,- CGC, NPC

Barked: Sun Feb 22, '15 9:53am PST 
Thanks for the responses. My partner's a vet and I'm a tech, so I'm not unfamiliar with all the procedures that are involved. We just haven't really seen maxillectomies done. I do have to say that it's really sucky when it's your own dog. We've been reading on VIN trying to see others' experiences, but there still isn't much out there on this particular location. The posters on VIN seem to think surgical resection will be curative, but our surgical oncologist is really pushing the chemo. Chemo makes sense to me since we have no idea if the cancer cells have spread and just haven't shown themselves yet. I'm just concerned it'll be hard on him. He's gotten pancreatitis a few times in the past just from stress and I'm sure the chemo will make him sick.

It's funny the wide range of opinions I've gotten on what I should do for Roswell. Some say well, he's 11 1/2. He's lived a good life and since he's doing well and not showing any symptoms, just let it take its course. Others say, just try to debulk the mass or try cryosurgery on it. (We did remove it a few weeks ago for the biopsy and it's already as big, if not bigger than before it was removed,) Others say go for the full maxillectomy surgery, but not necessarily chemo. And yet others say do the maxillectomy plus chemo.

And I'm over here just not really sure what to do. I suppose like the oncologist said, if we want to give him the best chance, then it's full surgery and chemo. Why put him through surgery if it's possible it could come back, especially without chemo? So give him his best chance. Right? But... what if the surgery is hard on him and he has trouble eating or drinking after? What if he's super painful and has a rough recovery? What if the chemo is hard on him? One of my friends who has had cancer herself said that knowing how horrible going through chemo was herself, that she wouldn't put any of her animals through that. We had a basset hound with lymphoma that did relatively well with chemo, but he did have a couple rough days. I think dogs not knowing what's happening is a blessing though. They just keep going.

I think my biggest concern is that we'll do all this only to buy him a few months and those few months will be spent with him recovering from surgery and learning how to eat and drink without half of his upper jaw. I fear it will come back. I think if it was on the mandible I'd feel a lot better about doing the surgery. I've seen plenty of dogs get by without portions of their lower jaw.

Roswell's a cool dog. Anyone that meets him loves him. I want to do what's best for my buddy. I'm just trying to take everything into account as we dive into this. He is 11.5 years old. He's over 100# and he does have some arthritis issues as well as degenerative myelopathy. He's otherwise healthy and happy. But his rear legs concern me since he has trouble getting up at times.

I wish I could hold off on the surgery until it was actually giving him trouble. Right now he's eating fine and if I wasn't always poking around at him I never would have even seen it. Obviously waiting until it gives him problems isn't an option because by then it'll be too far gone and I won't be able to do anything about it if I wanted to. But it seems harsh to do such aggressive treatment on a relatively healthy dog.

Sorry... I'm just sort of thinking out loud here. I figure if I write it down, I can get my thoughts in order and prepare myself best for any possible outcomes. Thanks again for your support/input.
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Jasper, Feb 28 7:41 am

Roswell,- CGC, NPC

Barked: Sat Feb 21, '15 9:05am PST 
Yep, I've got it. confused

Anyone have experience with maxillectomy? I've had a CT scan done, which shows so far no involvement of the sinuses or lymph nodes. Chest xrays and an abdominal ultrasound also show no obvious metastasis. The stats the oncologist gave us aren't that great though. 83-100% local recurrence after maxillectomy and 25% chance of metastasis. The positive thing is that it's mainly just around the one upper canine, but it still means removing basically the right side of the maxilla all the way to the midline and then she recommends chemo after.

Just looking for any experience with this? The things I've read all say this is a pretty rare location for osteosarcoma, but it's 'better' than a long bone osteosarcoma. I've seen dogs do well with a partial mandibulectomy, but I've never personally seen a dog with half of their maxilla removed. I'm worried about recovery time and pain management. I've talked to other techs who say they've seen patients do well, and the surgeon seems positive that he'll do fine, but there's still the worried owner that needs more stories of dogs that were fine after. He goes in Tuesday for surgery at the oncology center.
[notify]
» There has since been 6 posts. Last posting by Jasper, Feb 28 7:41 am

Charlie (at- the bridge)

Running free

Barked: Fri Feb 20, '15 7:42pm PST 
Thought I'd bring up this post to wish my brother, Roswell good luck on his surgery next week! He has something really bd growing in his mouth and needs all the luck he can get. I've been hovering over him, but could sure use some help, especially on Tuesday. Thanks guys! little angel
[notify]
» There has since been 92 posts. Last posting by Charlie (at the bridge), Feb 26 10:55 am

Bowser (In- Loving- Memory)

Mommy's angel

Barked: Sat Mar 22, '14 8:28pm PST 
Thanks for the hugs, Sparkle! big hug

Oh, I was going to tell you, Cosmo, there's this dog that comes into Mom's work that reminds her of you. This is a girl dog, but she looks a lot like you and every time she sees her, it make her smile, thinking of you. smile
[notify]
» There has since been 102 posts. Last posting by Charlie (at the bridge), Feb 26 10:55 am

Bowser (In- Loving- Memory)

Mommy's angel

Barked: Thu Jan 16, '14 5:42pm PST 
I have to check in, too. As mom's 'heart dog' it will be hard for her to not be able to come on here and check out my profile whenever she's feeling sad about me. She feels like this is a huge loss and is grieving. But she talks to me a lot still, and I'll always watch over her even if this forum doesn't exist. Big hugs to my pals!

Oh, and in case anyone was wondering, I was the "Christmas Angel". smile I delivered 50-100 rosettes on Christmas Eve for several years with an anonymous poem. The only ones I gave the gifts to were Angel pups because I know at the Holidays, it can bring back a lot of memories and I wanted to let pups know we were still thinking of them. My birthday is Christmas Eve, so it just seemed fitting. little angel
[notify]
» There has since been 107 posts. Last posting by Charlie (at the bridge), Feb 26 10:55 am

(Page 1 of 216: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.