Postings by Kally's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  

Dog Health > Vet try and take urine sample??
Kally

I caught a- squirrel once...

Barked: Tue Mar 17, '15 12:00pm PST 
Thanks again for your response! It was very helpful to read. I agree that I think there is just a lack of professionalism at that clinic. It's disappointing because when I have spoken with the vet, I really like her. But I am also starting to wonder about the lack of training as well.

I still plan on getting Sophie a follow-up appointment. We have put her back on her normal food and she seems to be doing well. But again, she wasn't showing any symptoms before.

Good news is, I think I have found a new vet. I got a good recommendations from a co-worker. I was going to wait a week or two to take Sophie in, but in the mean time, my other dog had an issue. Under her eye had become swollen - this had happened before and our vet said it was an allergy or insect bite. She gave an antibiotic. I researched more online and saw it could be a tooth abscess. When I asked my vet, she said she didn't think so. Well the swelling went down until last week when it came back and then started draining. I took Kally to the new vet, and I really had a good experience. He looked in her mouth and said it was a tooth abscess. He seemed to be very experienced with this and approached it so diffrently than our previous vet.

So, I am hopeful we have found our new vet. It really is a learning experience!! Thanks again for all the feedback smile
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Mar 26 5:25 pm

Kally

Barked: Fri Mar 13, '15 6:39am PST 
I appreciate your perspective and it's good to hear. However, I don't think I am completely overreacting. As I mentioned, there have been several incidents/reasons I am not happy with this vet and the clinic, but that incident with Sophie was the last one for me.

I do believe Sophie's bladder WAS full - she peed at 7:30am and her appointment was at 4:30. She did not pee in that time. After they said they "poked" her "several times," I took her outside the clinic and she immediately peed, which I collected in a ladle they gave me. That sample was the one I was told had "a lot" of bacteria. I wasn't told anything besides that.

I'm also not clear on who took the sample - they implied that the vet was the one doing the cysto.

And I have read several things where a cysto CAN cause injuries/complications if not done correctly.

Another factor in why I do not plan on returning to the clinic is a lack of professionalism. The veterinarian's almost 2 year old child is always running around the clinic and is very loud. The child was "wrapped" around the vet assistant's leg when she came to get Sophie. Sophie is never around children and was already terrified. I know the child went in the back, where the procedure was done and I could hear how loud she was. So I'm sure Sophie was even more scared and that probably did not help the situation.

I'm sure people are hard on their vets. I know I can be. I really try to be understanding, but the health and comfort of my dogs is my priority.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Mar 26 5:25 pm

Kally

Barked: Thu Mar 12, '15 6:45am PST 
Thank you for your response!! I'm actually going to the new vet today for our other pup who is having an issue frown So I will get a sense of how I feel about them, and then schedule Sophie a follow up for next week hopefully.

We have been through SO many vets, again primarily because we have moved a lot but it has definitely been an eye opening experience. I feel that educating myself as much as possible and utilizing these message boards have been so helpful. Thanks again!! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 11 posts. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Mar 26 5:25 pm

Dog Health > Temporarily lost bladder control

Kally

Barked: Wed Mar 11, '15 1:56pm PST 
Wow, poor Zeus and poor you!! That sounds like a really awful, scary night. I'm glad he is better now, but I think I would feel like you do - I'd still be wary that something was going on. I really have no idea what all that could have been. Did the vet do bloodwork and a urinalysis? Any chance he ate something and had a bad reaction?

I am in the process of getting a new vet after being very unhappy with mine. I know it can be a pain, but you might think about seeking a second opinion if you aren't satisfied with your vet's response.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Koby, Mar 26 5:27 pm

Kally

Barked: Wed Mar 11, '15 6:42am PST 
THANK YOU both for your responses!! They were really helpful. I just feel so angry at the vet and vet tech, and at myself for not trusting my gut and switching vets sooner.

The vet called yesterday and said their results were back -- said Kally is finally bacteria free. She said Sophie (the one she could not get a sample from and I collected one) showed red blood cells and "a lot" of bacteria. She said the RBC could be from them trying to get a sample with the needle - she said Sophie "jumped" during the procedure so she couldn't get a sample??? She said the bacteria was more than she would expect from a "free catch." She recommended bringing her back in a week to retest.

I will not be returning to her and have since been recommended to another vet from a friend. Do you think I should ask for the test results so I could take them to the new vet or just tell the new vet the situation and have Sophie retested? The idea of having her poked again scares me frown

On a semi-separate rant, it just upsets me so much that it seems so difficult to find a competent, caring vet. We have had to move a lot over the past several years, so I have had to go through the process of finding a vet that we like and trust several times. It's always upsetting to me!!

Thanks again for your feedback!! If you have any other thoughts/suggestions as we move forward, I would appreciate it smile Thank you!
[notify]
» There has since been 13 posts. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Mar 26 5:25 pm

Kally

Barked: Tue Mar 10, '15 7:23am PST 
Hello all! I am wondering about your experience with your veterinarian taking a urine sample from your dogs.

I should say that I have not been happy with our current vet for awhile, but yesterday was the last straw. There are many reasons but a big one from yesterday was her attempting to get a urine sample from our Sophie.

About 2 months ago, I took Sophie and Kally in for their annual exam. The vet recommended complete blood work and a urinalysis since they are senior dogs (Sophie 8, Kally 12). They were not able to get a urine sample from Sophie so I collected one at home. Both urinalysis tests came back with bacteria - they said Sophie showed crystals and Kally had bacteria. They said Sophie's may have been contaminated since I collected it at home. Kally did anitbiotics. Two weeks later, took them back and vet was able to get urine sample from both. This time they said Kally showed crytals (despite being on antibiotics) and Sophie showed bacteria (vet seemed surprised they "switched"). Sophie did antibiotics and both were put on a prescription food.

Took them in yesterday to follow up after being on the food about a month. Vet tech came out and said they couldn't get a sample from Sophie because her bladder was empty(she is about 9 lbs, chihuahua/min pin mix). I said that was impossible because she had not urinated in 9 hours. I then took her outside with a collector, and she immediately peed and I was able to collect a sample. They said since they "pushed" on her belly trying to get a sample with a needle that that made her need to pee. I think that makes no sense - how could they not get any urine when her bladder was full?

They do the proceudre in the back and it just worries me that they did something incorrectly if they poked her "several times" with a needle and couldn't get a sample. I have already decided to find a new vet, but I wanted to see if anyone had a simliar experience and maybe I am just being over-protective.

Thank you!!
[notify]
» There has since been 16 posts. Last posting by Kali earned her wings 10/21/14, Mar 26 5:25 pm

Dog Health > Sutures out after 7 days...?

Kally

Barked: Thu Feb 27, '14 4:01am PST 
Anyone?? smile
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Benny, Mar 1 9:25 pm

Dog Health > Pills getting stuck in throat!!

Kally

Barked: Wed Feb 26, '14 12:54pm PST 
I know you said you've tried hiding pills in food... Have you tried lots of different kinds to see of something works better for him? Ours will easily eat a pill if I wrap it in cheese - I squeeze it so it's a ball of cheese with the pill in the middle. If not, could you open it and mix it into something he really likes? I've done this with scrambled eggs and wet dog food. Our dogs eat dry so the wet is a treat and they scarf it down. Otherwise, I would think squirting a small amount of water after the pill would be ok.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Maxwell, Feb 28 7:07 am

Dog Health > Sutures out after 7 days...?

Kally

Barked: Wed Feb 26, '14 11:31am PST 
Bump! smile
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Benny, Mar 1 9:25 pm

Dog Health > Sudden peeing in the house - 8 yo Min Pin
Kally

Barked: Wed Feb 26, '14 6:36am PST 
I would worry that somthing like a UTI was going on... also, if he keeps going in the same place, maybe he can still really smell past urine? We've had to buy some heavy duty carpet cleaners and stuff specifically for pet urine to really get it out. When we were potty training our second dog, she kept going back to where she had gone before so I don't think we had cleaned it as well. Maybe really deep cleaning that area could help too! Good luck!!
[notify]
» There has since been 1 post. Last posting by Hershey, Feb 26 7:57 am

(Page 1 of 13: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.