Postings by Gio's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 567: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

Dog Health > Hot Spot? Home Treatment?
Gio

CD RE (CKC)- RXMCL (CARO) FM- CGN SJATD

Barked: Thu Dec 30, '10 12:03pm PST 
Thanks all. Some other friends suggested a black tea compress, so I tried that last night. After cleaning with a mild soap and water. It seems to be a bit drier today, and he isn't worrying it as much. I'll do a couple more compresses today and this evening and hopefully that will do the trick.

I also heard Gold Bond from another friend. She is a groomer and says one of her clients is a vet that uses Gold Bond on her Newfs when they have skin issues. That will likely be my next step if the tea doesn't work. I try to avoid anything too medicated, and it doesn't make sense to me to put an ointment or cream on something that you are wanting to dry out.

For whoever suggested the ACV, I like using ACV for other cleaning/health related things, so how do I use it for this? Is a 50/50 dilution good, or dilute it more? Applied directly to the hot spot, or put in the food?

Thanks again!
[notify]
» There has since been 3 posts. Last posting by Allee, Bama, and Brodie Bear!, Dec 30 4:09 pm

Dog Health > Hot Spot? Home Treatment?
Gio

Barked: Wed Dec 29, '10 6:58pm PST 
I've noticed what I think to be a hot spot on the inside of Gio's left hock. It's a little larger than a quarter, red and slightly moist. He has licked the hair off until it is nearly bald.

No changes in food. No external parasites that I have noticed. No injury that I have noticed. I don't think it is stress, as nothing has really changed around here. Doesn't have any other indications of allergies or a reaction of any sort. He'll let me poke at it without problem, but he is naturally very stoic and tolerant of prodding, so I can't tell if it hurts him to touch it or not. I first noticed the licking about 2 or 3 days ago, the spot looked reddish yesterday, and much more red (and bald) today. He'll stop licking when I tell him to, but starts up again a short while later.

Does this sound like a hot spot to anyone else? Other ideas? Any suggestions for at-home treatments to dry it out or ease the itch?
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Allee, Bama, and Brodie Bear!, Dec 30 4:09 pm

Raw Food Diet > The REAL risks of a raw food diet.

Romeo

CD RE (CKC) CRS- RV (CARO) FDX- SJATD HIC

Barked: Wed Dec 22, '10 2:42pm PST 
You'll creep out cute little old ladies or cashiers at the grocery store who ask you, "How do you prepare those chicken hearts, feet, and gizzards?" and you reply with "Oh, just raw!"
[notify]
» There has since been 19 posts. Last posting by Holly - CGC TDI, Dec 28 6:02 pm

Raw Food Diet > Sam has lost teeth...what do i feed now??

Gio

Barked: Wed Jul 7, '10 1:35pm PST 
Gio is missing a couple teeth, one being the big "crunching molar" in the back. He still handles bones that he was eating prior to the tooth loss. As long as they have the jaw strength to crunch, they will be fine. So whatever bones he was eating before will likely be OK now.
[notify]
» There has since been 8 posts. Last posting by Duke, Jul 9 5:58 pm

Raw Food Diet > Turkey and L-tryptophan: Same effect in raw feeding?

Gio

Barked: Wed Jul 7, '10 1:30pm PST 
As Miss pointed out, the "turkey makes you sleepy" thing is mostly a myth. Tryptophan is a common amino acid found in ALL meats and many other foods. In fact, goose, duck, chicken, beef, pork, and many wild meats are equal to or HIGHER in Tryptophan than turkey is.
[notify]
» There has since been 2 posts. Last posting by Mississippi, Jul 10 10:43 am

Raw Food Diet > How often do you feed tripe?
Gio

Barked: Tue Jun 1, '10 10:05am PST 
I have a bunch of frozen ground tripe from when a friend butchered a cull cow a while back. It is in about 1-2lb baggies, and since my guys don't eat all that much (about 22oz per day, combined), one baggy lasts me about a week. I feed roughly 50% tripe and 50% "normal food" each meal for about a week. I do this approximately once a month.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Rexy, Jun 1 9:03 pm

Raw Food Diet > How Much Does Raw Cost YOU!?

Gio

Barked: Wed Apr 14, '10 7:20am PST 
- How Many Dogs?
2 dogs. One is ~15lb, the other is ~35lb.

- How Many Pounds a Month?
Combined, about 30lb per month.

- How Much?
I buy in bulk often, so some months I might not spend any money on food, other months might be $50-$60. On average, I aim for less than $1.50/lb.

- Approximately Where You Live? (at least what Country)
Saskatchewan, Canada

- What Piece of Meat is Most Expensive for You?
Beef and bison tend to be most expensive at around $1.50/lb

- Where do you get your Meat From? (Grocery store? (Which one?), Co-op, Internet, Craigslist, ETC)
Some grocery stores (Extra Foods, Sobey's, Superstore). Local agriculture college. Hunter/farmer friends. Local butchers/meat packers.
[notify]
» There has since been 31 posts. Last posting by Chocolate, May 13 12:43 pm

Sports & Agility > What shows are y'all doing this month?? :)

Gio

Barked: Mon Apr 12, '10 7:44pm PST 
This past weekend I had the boys at a CARO Rally-O trial. Gio earned one leg of his Excellent title, with High in Class. Romeo earned 2 legs of Excellent C, finishing off his CARO Rally Silver title (first dog in Saskatchewan to have completed this title!) and earning one leg towards his CARO Rally Gold title with High in Class. Romeo also earned two Versatility legs, both with High in Class.

At the end of the month, we are at the Canadian Shetland Sheepdog Association National Specialty. Romeo and Gio are entered in Brace Obedience, as well as CKC Rally-O. Romeo is entered in CKC altered conformation.

Then a couple of weeks after that there is another CARO Rally-O trial where Gio is entered in Excellent level (only one more leg to finish that title), and Romeo is entered in Versatility and a couple of C stream rounds. He only needs one more leg for his Versatility title, so paws crossed for that. I've also entered them both in Team Rally-O. It is the first time this is being offered in the province, so I'm excited to give it a try!! I have to judge a therapy dog evaluation that same weekend, so I've only been able to enter the boys in a couple of rounds.
[notify]
» There has since been 25 posts. Last posting by , Apr 20 1:26 pm

Choosing the Right Dog > Your dog and your image

Gio

Barked: Sun Apr 11, '10 6:47am PST 
It's a very interesting questio, to be sure. And regardless of whether or not people consciously select a dog to portray a certain image, an image is nonetheless created.

I certainly don't select dogs (individual or breed) based on looks or image. Rather on temperament and a personality that meshes with what I want in a dog. Of course, I, like everyone else, have preferences in appearance, but that appearance and what it reflects about me to others is not an active part of my selection criteria.

As it turns out, I happen to have dogs that behave or act differently than what would be expected if them if judging solely on appearance. They are small-ish, fluffy, flashy looking dogs, so the common perception of that type of dog us silly or girly or sensitive. When in reality I have chosen my praticular dogs for "work" purposes. Shelties in themselves are contradictory ... While they look frilly or fluffy, they can be very serious working dogs. So while the image of my dogs say one thing about them and me, I hope to reflect their true image through their actions. And I think, for the most part, it works. While someone may make a quick decision about my dogs or myself when we walk into a room, their perceptions quickly change when they see us in action.
[notify]
» There has since been 90 posts. Last posting by Cobain ADC, SGDC, CGN, Apr 16 5:14 am

Raw Food Diet > Kidney Issues From Too Much Protein?
Gio

Barked: Fri Apr 9, '10 9:01pm PST 
As the others mentioned, some areas of a chem panel can be elevated for a raw fed dog. Namely BUN (blood urea nitrogen), urea, and creatinine. If all else is normal, then I wouldn't worry at all.

But i would cut out the apple cores if there are seeds still intact. The seeds can break down to components which include cyanide. Low levels, yes, but still to be avoided.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Sassy, Apr 10 4:24 pm

(Page 1 of 567: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  [Last 10 entry]  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.