Postings by Cagney's Family

GO!

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  

Behavior & Training > No More Dog Park For Me!
Cagney

Give me- attention!

Barked: Thu May 27, '10 9:28am PST 
I took my dogs to a dog park once and they came home with kennel cough, thus spreading it to my roommates two dogs. Not a fun time.
As for the toys, I took a ball with me for my pit. In FL dogs are not allowed on the beaches and my dog LOVES the water so the only place I could take him was one little dog park that was on the water. Thankfully he's not ball aggressive but it did help keep him distracted from this little yapper dog that kept coming up to him and having a fit. I didn't get it. He'd be standing there and there was this one itty bitty dog that kept going up to him and just yapping at him and trying to go after him. Had it not been for the ball I think he would have had that dog for a snack because the owner sure wasn't doing anything about her dog. That was the last time I took them to the dog beach. Too many irresponsible pet owners and then they get mad when an accident does happen.
[notify]
» There has since been 5 posts. Last posting by The Urban Hounds (Formerly the, May 27 5:08 pm

Behavior & Training > My dog killed my mom's...Male on Male...Dog aggression?
Jessie

Throw the ball,- Throw the ball!

Barked: Thu May 27, '10 12:08am PST 
Well thanks for all of your "positive" post.
Thanks to you that suggested I take him back to the vet for blood work. I had done that and the vet said he was fine, healthy and no problems. Less then 3 weeks later Jessie passed. His illness had gotten into his bone marrow, liver, and kidneys and he passed during a blood transfusion 2 days before I made it home from Iraq. The vet said that his condition is most likely the reason for his actions with my mom's dog and he's not sure how it wasn't caught in his 2 visits earlier in the year (one before and after the incident with my mom's dog). All the same he has crossed the rainbow bridge and I'm glad he is not suffering any longer.

Thanks to those of you that provided postiive advice!
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Kahuna, May 27 10:41 am

Jessie

Barked: Mon Feb 8, '10 4:46am PST 
Wow what reactions!
I am aware that my dog is DA when alone with other male dogs and it has been addressed with many vets after the intial attack happened. All parties of both incidents were notified ahead of time that he his DA when left alone and needs to be seperated. Neither parties headed the warning. I made it clear over and over and in this last incident my mother wanted to give the dog the benefit of the doubt not remembering that he is NOT human. She knew her little dog was dominenet and aggressive but being as they had been good together for so long she ignored my constant warnings. The vets had said that DA s normal and that being as it was only happening when left alone to just not leave him alone with other dogs. He interacts well with dogs just not left alone with them. I have a female mastiff and they are left together all the time and share the same kennel when at the boarding facility and there are no issues.

I will admit I am at fault for leaving him with people that didn't head my warnings and did not have the knowledge to have larger dogs. When he was diagnosed terminally ill though I didn't have much of a choice but to leave him with my mom and I did not want to do it in the first place. Now a year later things have gone the way they have.

A bloodwork up? I don't see how will help because we already know he has a terminal illness as well as having just had ACL surgury last year. He turns 9 years old this month and I know he is getting older and has more issues going on as he does. This weekend he spent the weekend at the vet clinic for observation because he came down with an intestinal infection and they wanted to monitor him for bloat. I did just e-mail my mom and ask her to call the vet and see if they can't do a blood work up since he is already there.

When I am home for good ths summer I will seek the advice of a behaviorist. Until then he is back in the kennel with his sister and the facility is aware of the reason why. Its funny to me how the vets and the kennel are saying it happens and so many of you say its not normal? All the same I am aware of his behavior and will take more caution in how things are done from here on out...

Thank you for all of your suggestions!
[notify]
» There has since been 23 posts. Last posting by Kahuna, May 27 10:41 am

American Staffordshire Terrier > Trying to understand the becoming more aggressive thing..

Jessie

Barked: Mon Feb 8, '10 3:41am PST 
Thank you Peg! That does make sense and with his ACL surgery and being diagnosed with a terminal illness I'm sure that it has rasied his irritability level. Maybe the moving has triggered that as well. I did a session with an animal communicator last year when i was confronted with his illness and whether or not to put him down and she said that new dogs made him uncomfortable. I will work on getting the blood panel done...I will be home next month and plan on taking him in to the vet myself and talk with her and see what is going on. I love my old man and just want him to be happy.
[notify]
» There has since been 4 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Apr 4 5:52 pm

Dog Health > Why Is Rimadyl Not Safe for Dogs?

Cagney

Give me- attention!

Barked: Wed Jan 27, '10 3:16am PST 
That is the first I have heard of it being dangerous for dogs. My roommates Yellow Lab is 10 y.o. and has been on and off it for years for arthritis. My Corso was just put on it about 2 years ago for arthritis as well. She didn't seem to have any ill effects beside loving to take the chewable kind as well. She is also on Dasquin for her arthritis.

Would love to hear what others say on this topic as it is new to me to hear this.
[notify]
» There has since been 15 posts. Last posting by , Jan 29 3:41 pm

American Staffordshire Terrier > Trying to understand the becoming more aggressive thing..
Jessie

Barked: Wed Jan 27, '10 3:06am PST 
I didn't realize that this was an issue with the breed. In my research I never came across this. But have noticed the my 9 year old Amstaff has become more aggressive towards male dogs in the last couple years. I posted a thread about this in Behavior and Training forum. Not sure what to do?
[notify]
» There has since been 7 posts. Last posting by Opheila, Apr 4 5:52 pm

Jessie

Barked: Wed Jan 27, '10 2:49am PST 
I have a 9 year old Amstaff who over the last couple years has become aggressive towards other male dogs when left alone. The first incident occured when my roommate and I went out one night and left our 4 dogs in one room. My mastiff is kenneled for speration anxiety and the other 3 are males. The yellow lab had established dominence over all in the beginning but the Rotti and my Amstaff had never really done that (so we found out the hard way)...We came home that night to a bloody mess...No one seriously injured just head cuts and wounds that bled a lot. We then learned we could not leave the Rot and Amstaff alone together. The vet told me is was normal behavior especially for male dogs and to just keep them seperate when we were not home.

About 3 months later I had to move to Iraq for a job and my friend said she would watch the dogs for me...She had 3 dogs already. One male and 2 females. I told her to make sure she seprated the males whenever she left the house and said no problem...Well the day after I left she had left them out alone and my dog killed the cockerspanial. She didn't blame Jessie though and kept him for an additional 6 months until I decided to move them to TX.

In Jan 2009 Jessie was diagnosed with a terminal illness not common to the US (leishmaniasis) and so my parents agreed to keep him. With them having two small male dogs I made sure to tell them to keep them seperate. Both my parents knew Jessie's history. My mom ended up putting one of their dogs down in Feb due to old age so it was just my Amstaff and her one Pekapoo, Jake. Jake has lil dog syndrome and a lot of attitude. I told my parents not to keep them alone but they didn't listen. Well about a week ago my mom called to tell me that my Amstaff had killed their dog while they were out to dinner. Said she didn't blame him but that he had to go back to the kennel. She thinks that when the UPS guy had shown up to deliver a package it caused the dogs to try to establish dominence in protecting the home. Jake was not bloody, but Jessie had snapped his neck.

Jessie has never been agressive around people or female dogs (my female mastiff established dominence day one) and he is good around male dogs if people are around. My situation now is that my mom says she doesn't think I should have him around any dogs or children because he has done this (mind you not the first time and we were already aware of how he acts with them).

I know NEVER to leave a child and an animal alone regardless because both are unpredictable. But I'm wondering if this could cause him to be more aggressive in general...He seems sooooo sad after he does it...Mooping around and sticking next to your side...I don't think he meant to do it...Just didn't realize his strength...My mom said Jake was all wet and she thinks that Jessie had tried to lick him back to life. Not only is it a sad situation but now my father has completely shut me out for it. I don't see I did anything wrong because I told them repeatedly not to leave them alone but just not real sure how to feel about this.

Has anyone else been in this kind of situation? Did your dog become more aggressive in general or is just a male thing?

Please give some guidance!!!! cry
[notify]
» There has since been 41 posts. Last posting by Kahuna, May 27 10:41 am

Saying Goodbye: Memorials & Support > Animal communicators...Is it worth a try?

Jessie

Barked: Tue Feb 3, '09 2:55pm PST 
Ok well I did the session. She did two transcripts one for each dog. I'm not sure how well I really believe it all but in a way it put me at easy. There was nothing that really stood out. Most of the stuff the dogs "said" was pretty much what I had told her or stuff that could have been assumed. Being as the commnicator is of a holistic nature I felt she kind of pushed those practices on me, which I'm not against, more or less just unfamiliar with. It's another option but it sucks cuz I'm not here to help them. My mom is helping a lot but I know it puts some stress on her and the holistic ways of curing his disease takes 3-4 adminsters a day for 2 months, that's a lot. Jessie is doing better then when I got here so I feel better about that but 'm afraid to see what happens when I leave again. I guess only time will tell.

But all in all it was an interesting experience with the whole communication thing and I think I might try it again later on while I'm in Iraq to check up on the dogs and see how I feel about it then
[notify]
» There has since been 0 posts. Last posting by Jessie, Feb 3 2:55 pm

Dog Health > Question for multi dog owners and dog health

Jessie

Barked: Tue Feb 3, '09 2:32pm PST 
I agree that when it raisn it pours. In the last 2 years it seems like anytime somethign happened to one dog something else happened to the other. Jessie went in for ACL surgery in 2007 and then Cagney went in a month later to have a beign tomur removed from her mouth. In 2008 Jessie hurt his other leg and Cagney started back problems. Less then a month after Jessie's 2nd ACL surgery he was diagnosed with Leishmaniasis, a terminal disease and today I took Cagney in for a bad limp and turns out she has a bad case of arthritis in her elbow. So I've got one dog almost at the bottom, another heading down that road and them my mom's 12 year old pup is also on his last leg. When it rains it POURS
[notify]
» There has since been 17 posts. Last posting by Mr. BoJangles, Feb 7 7:38 am

Dog Health > FURminator question
Cagney

Give me- attention!

Barked: Thu Jan 29, '09 8:55pm PST 
I bought it for my dogs as Cagney sheds like crazy but with her short hair she seemed like she was uncomfortable with it like it is hurting her. But it worked GREAT on my roomate's yellow lab and rot mix.
[notify]
» There has since been 9 posts. Last posting by Mia , Feb 2 9:33 pm

(Page 1 of 10: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  

PLEASE NOTE: Due to the rapid nature of forum postings, it's quite possible our calculation of the number of ensuing forum posts may be off by one or two or more at any given moment.